U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 09:53 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,985,027 times

Advertisements

I love Charlotte to death and wouldn’t think of moving. People on this board often ask, “What kind of place is Charlotte?” Well it’s the kind of place where “important” late breaking stories like the one below make news.

This is on Charlotte.com this morning…

Posted on Tue, Jan. 23, 2007
10:00 am | Verbal feud halted at W. Meck High
STEVE LYTTLE

School officials say students are back in their classrooms and it's business as usual this morning at West Mecklenburg High School, following a noisy argument among students earlier in the day.

About six to 10 students were involved in what Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools spokeswoman Tahira Stalberte called "an escalated verbal confrontation."

She said the argument among students resulted from an incident that happened last weekend in a neighborhood near West Mecklenburg. Today was the first day of classes for the week in CMS, as yesterday was a teacher workday marking the end of the first semester.

Stalberte said the argument began before the start of classes, about 7 a.m., inside the school. She said no punches were thrown, and there were no arrests or injuries.

She said classes started as usual.

Students involved in the argument face discipline, which could involve suspensions.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/16526081.htm (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 09:55 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,632,798 times
Must be a slow newsday.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:17 AM

116 posts, read 441,720 times
Wish we had that kind of news here in South Florida.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:02 AM

525 posts, read 1,642,375 times
Was it in relation to the 17yo who was shot and killed who has been shot a year ago?? I thought it was West area that it happened in. The news reports all the crimes here

Old 01-23-2007, 11:08 AM

476 posts, read 1,451,259 times
Is the west typically a rough area? I think it is good that they are spreading the word that it was taken care of quickly. Too often where I currently live, you never hear a word until it has escalated to a police matter. Last month, we had a mother of a junior high school 12-13y/o bring her child to school to confront a rival and then when the mother felt her daughter was not winning the fight, she jumped in as well. A parent for goodness sake. It is just unreal sometimes. We cannot wait to call Charlotte home.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklaur View Post
Is the west typically a rough area? I think it is good that they are spreading the word that it was taken care of quickly. Too often where I currently live, you never hear a word until it has escalated to a police matter. Last month, we had a mother of a junior high school 12-13y/o bring her child to school to confront a rival and then when the mother felt her daughter was not winning the fight, she jumped in as well. A parent for goodness sake. It is just unreal sometimes. We cannot wait to call Charlotte home.

Well, unfortunately Mik we had the same type situation here at one of our high schools this year - except in that case mom showed up with a few otehr relatives in tow!!! Some people, huh?

West Charlotte is a rough area of town, though not all ghetto looking or anything like you would see in other cities "rough areas".

Old 01-23-2007, 01:02 PM

58 posts, read 59,041 times
Default Amazing...

...this would have never made the news where I live in Southeast Florida, unless it was a shooting or a stabbing (which happens quite frequently in the public schools here).

Old 01-23-2007, 01:07 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontarazi View Post
...this would have never made the news where I live in Southeast Florida, unless it was a shooting or a stabbing (which happens quite frequently in the public schools here).
We have the occasional weapons confiscated on school property, but thank God, no one's been shot or stabbed during the school day. There was a violent incident at the edge of school property at a Friday night football game early last season though - people beat up with some metal object.
In Charlotte the most "violent" events requiring police intervention are in our MIDDLE SCHOOLS, believe it or not!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:23 PM

872 posts, read 3,268,658 times
"an escalated verbal confrontation."

Gotta love that wording.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:51 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,985,027 times
Occasionally we do have instances of kids getting weapons confiscated in schools. But its stories like this that amuse me. This past summer there must have been at least three evening news stories about "fights" at schools. Not stabbings, or shootings, but fights. When I was in school (in the 80's), they wouldn't have had time to report all the fights we had in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or