Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:08 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,345,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Alright...you got me [nonCharlotte]Mike. I have to give in. Here is an excerpt from my very own diary. Horrific...that's all I can say...

(it's best if you read it with an "out of breath" type of emotion...really gets the effect across!)
HAHAHAHA - well, I'm STILL waiting for Mike to tell us more about the "murder of a UNCC professor"

Now, we all know about the student Irina Yarmolenko being murdered last year - again, not in the University area, but she was a student at UNCC. Thank goodness the police have arrested people in that case. But crime in general does tend to be higher around large universities - students often make easy, unaware targets for all kinds of crime. But that doesn't make the whole university "area" a bad place. It just means you want to be cautious and aware in areas around ANY college campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 01:31 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,422,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike
Nobody acknowledges the UNC Professor that was killed - what's the matter?
UNC is in Chapel Hill...... 100+ miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Wow, you certainly have a big chip on your shoulder about a very nice area.

Obviously there's a story behind all your criticism of the University area - why not share it to put all your claims about the area in context? You definitely have a biased opinon, and therefore not a very objective one. If you REALLY think anyone reading what you have written will take you seriously without more info to go on, you are sadly mistaken. Posters like you are automatically suspect unless you can prove you aren't a troll and have a REAL reason for all you claim. So, what's your story?
:listening:

Old 03-30-2009, 01:49 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,345,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
UNC is in Chapel Hill...... 100+ miles away.

:listening:
Well, SURELY, since he knows SO MUCH about our University area he knows THAT

still waiting too...

Old 03-30-2009, 01:52 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,353,485 times
I'm still waiting on the business cards.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:05 PM

69 posts, read 161,913 times
I had a cop and a gentleman that does the lie detectors for the police department that lived right across the street from me in the UC and they both said the same thing. Crime happens every where in the city and it was on the rise in the southend. Never made a funny face as they lived in the UC area and weren't running for their lives or afraid to go out after dark. I took my 2 children walking at dark and never had a problem so get over it.
Metallisteve--dude, you are hilarious! Love the story!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:22 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,537,496 times
Nice story - can't wait to see you all on the news one day saying ....geee I can't believe this would happen here. I've been living here for 10 years and I just don't understand. The peolple here are so nice, how can this happen? - You kinda' get the drift. Good Luck and happy trails.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:31 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,438,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
...Good Luck and happy trails.
Can I nominate this for quote of the year?!?!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:35 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,438,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
You sure you weren't playing Grand Theft Auto?
GTA: The UC comes out soon. They were out doing video and still shots for 3D modeling reference the other day. I might be in the background jumping up and down...waving my hands around like a lunatic. Please don't shoot me.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:48 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,992,328 times
I almost think the university keeps the are more stable than it would be otherwise. I know that there is probably a lot of crime of opportunity (car break-ins, shoplifting, etc.,)around the campus because of the number of easy targets, I think the economic engine the University provides supports a lot of the businesses which keeps the area more desireable.

Do you have any stats on universities and crime, loves? Not arguing with you, I'm just interested to know where the perception of crimes around universities comes from.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:08 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,617,935 times
This looks very much like Cobb's dogged resistance to the end in the movie "12 Angry men"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte