U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 09:34 AM

8 posts, read 56,037 times

Advertisements

We currently live in California and are not impressed with the public school system around us most are in the 25-35% scoring. Looking at the school systems around the area the 85% on testing is rather impressive compared to the schools around here. I was just wondering if I can get some opinions from people who live in the city. We haven't picked an area to move, but are planning a trip in Dec. If it is important we are looking for a home around 200,000-225,000 if that would help shed some light as to what kind of school district we would be in. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:49 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,541,409 times
For $200K to $250K you can get a very nice home in Matthews which has great schools.

Look at this website for the Brightmoor community:

Brightmoor Website

There are also many nice neighborhoods north of UNCC such as Highland Creek and Davis Lake. I'm not sure about all of the schools in these areas.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:41 PM

168 posts, read 451,678 times
You could get into Union County as well, just south of charlotte which has great public schools.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:58 PM

You might also consider your commute. It can be tough from the far south andnorth.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:28 PM

264 posts, read 827,542 times
What was the question?

Old 07-28-2008, 08:30 PM

797 posts, read 2,977,518 times
You have to tell us a neighborhood if you want to know what schools feed into it. Otherwise not sure what your question is. Do you want to know what is the best district you can get for that price? You need to clarify more before we can assist you.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:12 AM

510 posts, read 1,838,648 times
Check the CMS website, and/or do a google search on the school system, you should be able to get alot of information. There is somewhere a site that has the zones per school. Searching and looking around the cms website you should be able to find it. On the North side of Charlotte, we have a brand new High School Mallard Creek; going into 2nd year, North Meck, Hopewell, and Vance High Schools. Middle schools Alexander, James Martin, and a new one on Ridge Rd (near Highland Creek) opening next school year. I'am not impressed with the middle school we went to (Alexander). Elementary schools, brand new one opening this year on Hucks Rd, Highland Creek Elem, going into it's 3rd year...i think, and I believe that there is 1 more in the books for the Northern part of Charlotte (Mallard Creek, University area), near Salome Church Rd. Overall, the schools up here are pretty good, dealing with some growth issues though, average teacher to student ratio is about 20-23, if in Honors or AP courses ratio is a bit lower. If a school is new, you won't find a lot of testing information - for obvious reasons; one stat to look at is the Free and Reduced Lunch. The race ratio maybe lobsided, that doesn't bother us, or our kids, the key is the Free and Reduced Lunch, you really want to stay away from ones that are above....say 40%. Schools on the south side, and south east are good too, they are typically of higher priced homes (Providence, Myers Park, Ballentyne areas).

Your best bet is to visit each area, you may not like the Mallard Creek area, and love the Ballentyne area, it's just your personal tastes of what you like and dislike about your community. You also want to consider any commute time, the south side has light rail, the north only buses right now. Also, if the commute now is 30 minutes going with the flow of traffic, with growth, say 3 years from now it may take 45 minutes. We moved from Northern Virginia and that was our theory when deciding where to move. We knew all too well, that commute, gas, wear and tear would probably get worse as the area grew. Keep in mind the 485 beltway being constructed, it needs to be widen in the southern part already and it's not even done and won't be complete until 2018.

I really don't know anything about private schools. We have charter schools here as well as montessouri schools(spelling??).

Below are some links all from the CMS website.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/departments/studentPlanning/maps08-09/2008-09Boardadopted.asp - broken link)

CMS 2008-2009 Student Assignment Information (http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/studentassignment08-09/information/index.asp - broken link)

[SIZE=2][/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Last edited by aquastone; 07-29-2008 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: add text

Old 07-29-2008, 08:37 PM

There are quite few very good private schools in Charlotte, but they are expensive. If I were moving here and could leisurely pick my neighborhood (as you seem able to do) I'd certainly look for a neighborhood with good schools so I could avoid the private route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or