Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:18 PM

109 posts, read 397,505 times

Advertisements

Alright, guys and gals. The kid is coming down next month to see what all the fuss about Charlotte is, and if me and the family will be happy living there.

If you only had 12 hours a day over a two day period to get a "feel" for the city, where would be some good places to go. We've got a 7 and 3 year old in tow, and we have to keep them happy as well.

So today's homework is...plan my days so that I can get the maximum
"face time" with the city of Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanokers View Post
Alright, guys and gals. The kid is coming down next month to see what all the fuss about Charlotte is, and if me and the family will be happy living there.

If you only had 12 hours a day over a two day period to get a "feel" for the city, where would be some good places to go. We've got a 7 and 3 year old in tow, and we have to keep them happy as well.

So today's homework is...plan my days so that I can get the maximum
"face time" with the city of Charlotte.
We need more info to help you find what you want...

How much home can you afford? What part of the city are you likely to be working in? Are public schools important or will you want to consider private?

And where will you be staying when you get here next month?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:36 PM

We aren't looking to buy. I have bought and sold a house simultaneously before, not a fun time, believe me.

From what I've read it seems like the southern part of Charlotte seems to suit our tastes. My wife is a nurse, and I will probably be working in the finance sector. We will more than likely rent a house or townhouse for a year. I just want safe schools with solid academics for the kids, and no more than a 15-20 commute.

We will look at some neighborhoods, but mostly I wanted to go where the people are. I can tell a lot about an area, by how the people act when they assembled in one place...ie. (mall, festival, downtown, etc.). I just didn't know if they were any family friendly places where I can observe Charlotteans in their element.

I will stay with my cousin in North Charlotte so lodging isn't a problem.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:35 AM

327 posts, read 1,197,239 times
Although Uptown isn't full of Charlotteans on the weekends, I'd recommend a trip to Discovery Place on Tryon to amuse the kids, followed by a walk through Fourth Ward. It'll make for an enjoyable 1/2 day tour of Uptown. There's a variety of places to stop for food along the way. The new Whitewater Center located on the west side of town would be a good trip also. It's usually pretty crowded on the weekends.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:43 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
^^ And you can also take a horse drawn carriage ride - that might be a fun way to see that part of town and entertain your children at the same time.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:44 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
The kids would also like Imaginon, uptown. It's the kids library, with lots more!! You also might check out Ray's Splash Planet.

ImaginOn Home Page

http://www.charmeck.nc.us/Department...t/AboutRSP.htm

Old 07-29-2008, 07:12 AM

407 posts, read 851,189 times
Visit Birkdale Village in Huntersville at exit 25 I77. Let the kids play in the fountains in the center square. Then walk around the village, have lunch, shop, stop at Cafe Mia for desert.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Target several areas you may consider living in. Decide if you are willing to start out in one area of the city w/ your child enrolled in a particular school . . . and then have to switch to another school later when you actually buy a house. If you don't want to switch schools, then you are gonna need to figure out what area you like - while making sure that school is where you want to keep your child. So that is the biggie as far as decisions on where to rent and where to look.

I don't know what price range of house you will buy eventually, so that is a wild card w/ what I would suggest. But if it were me, I would check out S. CLT and Ballantyne and Matthews and perhaps Union County. I would not be spending time entertaining the kids, but that is just me. The 3 yr old is gonna get tired so you may want to take the family out in the mornings . . . back for nap time . . . then out again after lunch.

There are plenty of places to stop and shop/eat/get ice cream and walk around as you are exploring. The kids might enjoy a ride on the light rail, but again - that is not gonna show you a whole lot about CLT itself . . . it will give you a feel for the area around Imaginon, Discovery Place . . . so if you want to take a break and head that way to entertain the kids . . .and you can people watch at the same time. Charlotte on the weekends, tho, is a very different place than CLT uptown during the week.

I would get a map and mark the various medical centers where you wife might want to work, and drive around those areas to see what you think - and perhaps measure travel time. For example - maybe you like Presby Matthews or CMC-Pineville - then see how you feel about going from there to Ballantyne . . . or maybe your wife would prefer being on the main campuses of either CMC or Presby . . . so check out routes from those areas back to wherever you think you would like to live.

Get a feel for exits off 485, for example, and what is available at each exit. Even if you have a GPS . . . some of the streets are not showing up on mine and we just updated the software, so be sure and have a good map or print off various directions from places of interest back to home base. Definitely go to SouthPark mall and check out the area. Mark main streets so you can get a feel for how long it will take you to move around in these various areas. For example, in S. CLT - Colony, Fairview, Carmel, Providence, Park, Selwyn, Rea . . . and Hwy. 51 (Pineville Matthews Rd). If you get a feel for some of those streets in S. CLT - you will start getting a feel for the area. You may prefer spending more time in Matthews, Waxhaw, Weddington . . . I would allow a lot of time for just driving around and seeing how you like various communities . . . what the housing looks like . . . what amenities your family wants and where they are.

When I moved back here, I just didn't confuse myself w/ all the new areas, LOL. I just said - S. CLT - inside 51, off Carmel, end of discussion (for permanent home). I knew I could commute wherever I wanted from that area. We got a townhouse at Strawberry Hill on Providence (for temp residence). If you can narrow down an area (such as Ballantyne) and find a townhouse you like . . . then you have simplified your life immensely - and you can spend your time checking out amenities, recreation, travel time, etc from that point forward. GOOD LUCK!!! It is not easy when one has children in tow.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Target several areas you may consider living in. Decide if you are willing to start out in one area of the city w/ your child enrolled in a particular school . . . and then have to switch to another school later when you actually buy a house. If you don't want to switch schools, then you are gonna need to figure out what area you like - while making sure that school is where you want to keep your child. So that is the biggie as far as decisions on where to rent and where to look.
ani,

Thank you, Thank you. You are a wealth of information. I have my wife writing all of your suggestions right now, and we will take them to heart. I appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed list. I will let you know how it works out. Thanks to everyone who has posted, all very hopeful.

One more question. Are housing prices in S. CLT falling, holding steady, or on the rise? I am wondering if in a year, we would still be able to afford a house in the 175-200K range?

Old 07-29-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacmd70 View Post
Visit Birkdale Village in Huntersville at exit 25 I77. Let the kids play in the fountains in the center square. Then walk around the village, have lunch, shop, stop at Cafe Mia for desert.
That sounds like something we will definately check out. Charlotte seems like it has soooo much to do. In Roanoke we don't have near as much to do....Just downtown, which coming from a bigger city, isn't that big at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte