U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 9,606 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

First I'm glad this site exists. I used it a few years ago when I was in Florida and contemplating a move to Maryland. I've been in MD for two years now and while I like it the cost of living and crime (spreading from other areas) is really getting to me. I'm also married with a child now (was single when I moved to MD) and would like to have a nice home with a backyard for current child (and future one's) to play in. Unfortunately, homes fitting that criteria in MD within a good school system begin in the high 500K. At any rate I'm looking for some advice on areas near/surrounding Charlotte that may appeal to a young (w-29, I'm 30)professional couple with a family. My wife is okay with rural but I'm not so an established or up and coming suburb, with good schools, shopping, and quick access to Charlotte or Raleigh when we have a feel for the "city" would be ideal. Is my list unrealistic? I'm not sure since I've never visited nor lived in NC, but would appreciate any advice from those that live in the area. FYI- We're looking to possibly relocate within the next 1-1.5 years. Just starting my research a little early. In the meantime I'll comb through some of the threads and obtain some info. on areas that way. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 11:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 57,213,700 times
Personally focus on where you would like to move to rather than just focus on trying to avoid the bad areas.
Once you have some areas in mind ask the forum or search the forum for details on those areas you would like to be at.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:57 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,755,801 times
DH and I are just a little bit older than you and your wife (no children though). We moved to Raleigh from Alexandria, VA in March 2007. Sadly, he lost that job, and was unable to find a new one, so we moved to Charlotte, where he is now working. So, while my perception of Raleigh is a bit tainted by that experience, I will say that Charlotte is a better fit for us than Raleigh was (not knocking Raleigh, just relaying personal experience). As a larger city, there is more to do here in Charlotte and we have plenty to keep us busy.

I certainly can understand the attraction of lower housing costs, but like other areas in the country, many industries are hurting here. So, please make sure that when you move, you have a job lined up (and a Plan B in your back pocket in case it doesn't work out). You'll also see a lot of other posters on this site recommend renting while you learn the area before you buy.

What other questions do you have?

Old 07-29-2008, 01:05 PM

98 posts, read 250,782 times
We just moved from Gaithersburg, MD for many of the reasons you listed. We wanted a house w/ a backyard and good schools. We moved to the Fort Mill/Indian Land area, which may be a little rural for you, but we like it. Tons of young couples in their 30's w/ kids. All kinds of stuff going on in our neighborhood, huge pool, club house, golf nearby, Ballantyne area is 5 mins away for shopping, restaurants, etc and we can get to uptown Charlotte in 30mins. We bought a 4000 sq ft house, 2 years old on a .25 acre w/ nice sized backyard for under $400k. Good Luck in your search, I think you'll like it here, lots to do, better weather and more house for the $!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:17 PM

1,181 posts, read 2,697,092 times
We also were deciding between Charlotte and Raleigh. Both were family oriented with neighborhoods that had 3 to 5 bdrm homes with pools and playgrounds and nearby shopping and close to everything. The people in both places were nice as well.

Uptown in Charlotte consists of taller more modern buildings as it is a banking center whereas Raleigh seemed more historical and runned down. Since I was in the financial industry and not the research or technical fields that Raliegh had with the research triangle, it just wasn't the right fit for us.

Around Charlotte, there other surrounding areas to look into like Fort Mill (SC), Union County, Indian Trail (SC). Property taxes are much lower and some argue that the school system in Char-Meck leaves something to be desired. But that's very subjective. There are many that love it too.

Good Luck with your decision... keep us posted if you need anything.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 9,606 times
I appreciate all of your responses. My wife and I have discussed visiting the Raleigh/Charlotte area one weekend just to check the area out (get a feel for it). Your point about renting in the area before buying is certainly one I'll follow as I did the same thing (renting) before purchasing in MD. For those of you that moved to NC from another state, was it hard to adjust to the change in salary? I keep hearing your dollar goes further but something about a 15K pay cut (roughly what I'd experience) still makes me uneasy. Does the lower cost of living really balance the rest out? Thanks again for your responses.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:15 PM

221 posts, read 636,999 times
hi...hope your trip to NC is pleasent. I think that you will enjoy the scenery around town as that mesmerized us and helped us make the decision to move too. We came from Florida and in my opion everything is pretty much a wash as far as cost of living. Here we got a much larger home for our money, but my husbands salary decreased some...there is state income tax here and car taxes. In Florida we were paying much, much more for home owners insurance. We rented at first so that we could determine which area of town to live in and then built our home in Belmont.
There are so many cute areas that would be fanstastic for a growing family here. I wish you lots of luck!

Old 08-02-2008, 08:14 PM

8 posts, read 12,332 times
Belmont is the place to be - good schools, small town atmoshpere with access to Charlotte in 20 min or less. I'm in Belmont but we are looking to upsize, one of the neighborhoods we are looking at is Stowe Point by Lennar it's a new neighborhood just starting. You can't touch the size for the price anywhere in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or