Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 8,910 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I relocated to the Charlotte area about 3 weeks ago. I have 3 years of well rounded HR experience in addition to recently receiving my Professional in Human Resources Certification, PHR. I have been applying to positions online and in addition to having met with 2 staffing agencies to help me in my job search, but have not had much luck thus far. I am a qualified candidate with a great work ethic.

Any advice on how to get my foot in the door would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 04:57 PM

285 posts, read 1,071,784 times
Network with neighbors, church etc.

It is easier to get a job with word of mouth here. Sounds dumb but have you scrutinized your resume for typos? Compared it to samples online?

Does the staffing agency also function as a temp agency? You might be able to start as a temp and then have it turn permanent.

Lastly, have you tried the two major hospitals websites? Norvant Health and Carolina Medical?

Old 07-29-2008, 05:28 PM

Default Thanks!

Yes, I have been told by many that it is by word of mouth and networking in the Charlotte area. I am planning to attend the HR meetings in the area in August to meet other HR professionals.

No, it doesn't sound dumb...I have had my resume looked at by two recruiters that I formerly worked with in addition to friends and the staffing agency. I have not considered the temp to perm since I was really seeking a full time position with benefits but perhaps it is something I should reconsider.

I did apply to an Employment Representative position with Carolina Medical Northeast in Concord. I will also try Norvant Health.

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:17 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Check your notifications for a direct message from me.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,998 times
I think the previous post is right on. Word of mouth and networking are usually more effective than on-line job postings and job applications. However, there are a lot of great companies here that are looking for good HR professionals. Even though the Banks are going through a challenging time, for example, they are still looking for good people. Your best bet is to target 40 - 50 companies, find out who at each company could potentially hire you and then contact them directly. Check out the CASHRM website to see when the next meeting will be held.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times
Human Resources (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Human+Resources+City/Home.htm - broken link)

Old 07-30-2008, 12:02 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcoving View Post
I have not considered the temp to perm since I was really seeking a full time position with benefits but perhaps it is something I should reconsider.
Tis easier to get a job when you have a job.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:54 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Tis easier to get a job when you have a job.
cg - Truer words have never been spoken! The whole psychology of the job seeker changes when he or she is already employed. Maybe it's body language, the look of confidence, or the security of having some money, but it sure seems easier to then get another job. Consider a temp or a part-time job until "the right one comes along"! Something is usually better than nothing when it comes to employment! I also think that prospective employers probably have less doubts about an applicant when they are already employed. To the OP - best of luck!

Old 07-30-2008, 01:20 PM

Default Temp to Perm advice

Thanks for the advice...

I have a staffing agency that will work with me on temp to perm job placement. I will definitely reach out to them and see what is available and keep my options open for the future.

I appreciate everyones help

Old 07-30-2008, 02:47 PM

797 posts, read 3,294,619 times
I hear ya, I have 11 years experience and have been looking for an HR job for 4 months now..only had 1 interview. I've only come across one job placement place that does HR jobs and they never have anything come up. I def. don't know of any temp/perm agencies for HR work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: