Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:03 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,340 times

Advertisements

I am looking to put in new flooring in my house. I want to put in hardwood laminate. I am so done with carpets! I have dogs and young kids and am tired of cleaning the rugs. Does anyone know a good reliable person or company that does this? I appreciate your responses!

Old 01-24-2007, 12:10 PM

218 posts, read 253,642 times
I used Jim Thompson to install my laminate, and my company uses him for almost every investment property in need of fixup. He does great work for CHEAP!

his site is www.tntpnr.com and his number is 980.621.6990

i've attached some pics of the job he did at my place
Attached Thumbnails
Flooring Installation-diningroom1.jpg   Flooring Installation-greatroom1.jpg   Flooring Installation-greatroom2.jpg   Flooring Installation-greatroom4.jpg   Flooring Installation-kitchen.jpg  

Old 01-24-2007, 12:18 PM

93 posts, read 598,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte ePro View Post
I used Jim Thompson to install my laminate, and my company uses him for almost every investment property in need of fixup. He does great work for CHEAP!

his site is www.tntpnr.com and his number is 980.621.6990

i've attached some pics of the job he did at my place
The works looks great. If you dont' mind, could you PM me with some pricing info . I have not closed on my house yet, and am in NYC, so I dont really have the chance to get quotes, but I'd like to have some idea in terms of how much it will cost. Thanks in advance..

Old 01-24-2007, 12:26 PM

15 posts, read 45,099 times
Default Hardwood Flooring

I say forget laminate and go with real hardwood flooring. It just looks so much better. It does cost more, but look into it. You may change your mind once you see the difference in quality. I may be slightly partial, since my father-in-law is in the business. I'd recommend him for you, but he's in Detroit. Kind of a far drive.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:47 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,167,413 times
If you are on slab rather than crawl, you probably can't use real hardwoods. Just to put that out there...

Old 01-24-2007, 02:26 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,833,378 times
Robin, they can actually glue it down now. We have it in our entry way etc. Seems to work well we are looking at some point, probably when we get ready to sell, to put it in the living etc. We are on a slab.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:29 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,167,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Robin, they can actually glue it down now. We have it in our entry way etc. Seems to work well we are looking at some point, probably when we get ready to sell, to put it in the living etc. We are on a slab.
How cool...everyone I talk to are naysayers I supposed. As for me, though I love the look of hardwoods my kids destroyed it. Replaced it all to carpet and tile for now. When they are all out of the house (or at least the basketballs/skates/dirt on shoes/metal Hot Wheels cars are...) I intend to get those hardwoods back

Old 01-24-2007, 07:49 PM

55 posts, read 175,566 times
Default Research

having dealth with both Laminate and hardwood i would highly recommend getting hardwood.

you need to research the best wood for your situation. Not all wood is created equal. Each wood has a hardness rating which indicates how easly the wood will dent or scratch.

I would recommend getting Brazilian Cherry which is very hard.
Check out Lumber Liquidators they have great prices.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:42 PM

68 posts, read 185,453 times
I can tell you who not to use. Markarians in Mooresville, their workman ship was shoddy and they never finished the job. I would advise to stay away.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:04 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,340 times
I want to thank you all for your feed back! Charlotteepro, I am gonna give your guy a call in a few. Thank you for the pictures! They were great to see what the finished product looks like. I really appreciate it...Now if I could pick your brilliant brains again...

In the past I have tried real hardwood, but with 2 young kids and 2 dogs, they tore up the hardwood. It was scratched so bad. I did not find it very durable. By the time 5 years had passed we tore it out because it looked that trashy. Also being on a concrete slab I was told it is better to go with laminate. I am looking more for durtability than style. I love the hardwood look, but don't want to waste money on something I know will be ruined quickly. With that being said, has anyone had problems with laminate or hardwood? Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte