U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 03:32 PM

3 posts, read 6,133 times

Advertisements

my wife and i are over fifty, no kids, but we have two cats we can't part with. after 15 years in las vegas we are moving to CLT in late August to be closer to family. presently we are both disabled, tho she will be able to return to work sometime this fall; my disability may be permanent. tho we want to buy a home next year, that may not be possible, and either way we need to rent a home for at least 1 year.
our problem is in finding a SFH (NO apartments etc.) within our budget. our rent ceiling is $800 but we need a 3+br, 1+bath single level house. our wants include a yard with shade, some open space with neighbors near but not closer than fifty feet. the commute is not a concern yet, and we actually would like to avoid being near schools.

in a week or two one of us will fly into CLT for 3 days to drive around and look things over, so we want to narrow the field a bit due to the limited time we have to compare.
online info suggests that NW, NE, or SE of downtown as far as ten miles out are where we should concentrate our search.
other towns like matthews, mint hill, davidson, huntersville, etc may be the best for us.
when i put all that together and search online my results are meager at best, and the info is often sketchy.

any insights, suggestions, hard data, or past experiences from anyone would be greatly appreciated. we look forward to hearing from our future neighbors, and meeting new friends when we get there. can you help?
happy trails, ed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 03:35 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,276,463 times
Maybe someone else can help, but I really would have no suggestions at all for a home renting under $800/month. Not here in CLT. Even in more rural areas . . .

Old 07-31-2008, 05:01 PM

629 posts, read 1,820,771 times
You can try out in the rural areas of York and Lancaster in SC. Why 3 bedroom?

Old 07-31-2008, 05:47 PM

285 posts, read 954,492 times
Would you consider a double/triple wide trailer? I have seen them for rent in Lancaster and that is close to Charlotte. I am not being snarky either, alot of trailers are really nice and often on alot of land and not in a trailer park. Didn't want you to misinterpet what I am suggesting but with the price range you posted, this might be an option.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:10 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,069,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeeldeeep View Post
my wife and i are over fifty, no kids, but we have two cats we can't part with. after 15 years in las vegas we are moving to CLT in late August to be closer to family. presently we are both disabled, tho she will be able to return to work sometime this fall; my disability may be permanent. tho we want to buy a home next year, that may not be possible, and either way we need to rent a home for at least 1 year.
our problem is in finding a SFH (NO apartments etc.) within our budget. our rent ceiling is $800 but we need a 3+br, 1+bath single level house. our wants include a yard with shade, some open space with neighbors near but not closer than fifty feet. the commute is not a concern yet, and we actually would like to avoid being near schools.

in a week or two one of us will fly into CLT for 3 days to drive around and look things over, so we want to narrow the field a bit due to the limited time we have to compare.
online info suggests that NW, NE, or SE of downtown as far as ten miles out are where we should concentrate our search.
other towns like matthews, mint hill, davidson, huntersville, etc may be the best for us.
when i put all that together and search online my results are meager at best, and the info is often sketchy.

any insights, suggestions, hard data, or past experiences from anyone would be greatly appreciated. we look forward to hearing from our future neighbors, and meeting new friends when we get there. can you help?
happy trails, ed.

Like everyone else has said, in your price range you will want to look outside of Charlotte for a rental home. It is very difficult to find a good rental in Charlotte itself of that size under $1000. Oh you'll see some, but 99% of the time they are not in desirable areas. Consider looking in Harrisburg, Kannapolis, Monroe or even just over the SC border in Clover. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,133 times
thanks for the help folks. every little bit is appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte