U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:34 PM

739 posts, read 1,527,879 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to clarify I do let those merge that are trying to, what I am refering to are the one's who see one little tiny space between two cars and decide to squeeze bumper to bumper between the two of you. I must get it a lot due to keeping a little bit of distance in case of sudden "slams" of the brakes, LOL. Actually I have learned now to just stay in the left hand lane and not deal at all with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 01:59 PM

5,970 posts, read 12,401,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
Just wanted to clarify I do let those merge that are trying to, what I am refering to are the one's who see one little tiny space between two cars and decide to squeeze bumper to bumper between the two of you. I must get it a lot due to keeping a little bit of distance in case of sudden "slams" of the brakes, LOL. Actually I have learned now to just stay in the left hand lane and not deal at all with it.
This is all fine unless you have to get off on 51, which is right next after South Blvd. So then you'd have to cross back all lanes to get to the right hand side just avoiding all the jerks who use the off ramp as a passing lane. Just can't win. I used to work off Arrowood off 485 and had to get off in Pineville/Matthews everyday. This is what I dealt with everyday. Best to take the backroads from Tryon paralleling 485 and get back on South Blvd. and get off the next exit at 51. At least they let you merge from the on-ramp and you only have to keep right before getting off.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:43 PM

168 posts, read 380,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
Must have been on that person's bad day!

Question though, did you use your turn signal or quickly hit on your brakes realizing that is your turn belatedly?
Good question. I always use a signal. Must have been the person's bad day. I am unwilling to brand Charlotteans with such rude behavior. As a newbie, we are loving it so far!

sandy

Old 08-25-2008, 01:46 PM

168 posts, read 380,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Sorry, but if you are going fast on a side street, you need to slow down, be honked at, etc. It's how kids and other people get hit by cars. I am surprised you were honked at though because that's how most people drive around here. I live on a very small cul de sac and people fly down it. I have no idea why...they are just idiots.
Thanks - just for clarity, I was going slightly above the speed limit. The limit was 45, and I was going about 48. I was trying to stay in front of the car on my bumper. I definitely was not speeding b/c I was looking for my turn.
sandy

Old 08-25-2008, 10:37 PM

140 posts, read 213,044 times
Shall we start a serious campaign about this. I've lived in several cities and Cahrlote is by far the absoultely worst when it comes to people driving like turtles on the passing lane slowing traffic considerably and increasing congestion unnecessarily; incredibly frustrating.

As a matter of fact it should be highly encouraged on all DMV offices when people renew their licenses about the proper use of passing lanes.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:08 AM

1,893 posts, read 3,255,018 times
This is good..... I was recently in Jersey and lost. I was heading into a very bad area and would rather have been in an accident than go any further into it. I tried to "merge" into a left turn lane from the middle and the guy just did not want to let me in. I waved and pointed with a smile to try to ask politely, he flipped me off so I just cut inbehind him. At the stop light he got out and came towards me, threw his arms up and called me a dumb cu**!!!! I was shaking with fear, but I calmly pointed to my teeth and said you have a lil something in your tooth here. He was totally spechless, and stard at me till the light changed and the cars behind me started beeping at him. He got in his car and screeched away.
I was as scared as I've ever been in my whole life, but there was a lesson here for the two kids in the back seat.
When I finally made it to my brothers house he gave me a GPS that he had just won in a raffel

Old 08-26-2008, 01:08 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,989,653 times
If I ever become a millionaire and don't have to work, I am going to enroll in a police academy to become a cop. I would even offer my services for free provided I get through the Academy. Anyway, I would ticket EVERYONE who doesn't signal. No warnings. Just a ticket. You can speed, go through a yellow light that turns red, etc. but if you don't use your turn signal, you are getting a ticket.

Using your turn signal is the easiest thing to do and you don't need any special equipment. Utilizing the signal makes it safer for everyone around you as well as yourself. When trying to get into another lane other drivers will see you would like to get in their lane and will probably let you in. If they don't let you in, they weren't going to let you in anyway so you might as well use it.

How often have you waited at a turn and see a car coming that isn't using their turn signal? You don't know if they are going to make a turn, so you continue to wait only to find that they turned without using the signal. Had they used the signal, you could have made your turn onto the street as well. Using the signal improves EVERYONE'S driving experiences which would reduce road rage.

Plus, it's the law.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:12 PM

3,238 posts, read 6,138,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
If I ever become a millionaire and don't have to work, I am going to enroll in a police academy to become a cop. I would even offer my services for free provided I get through the Academy. Anyway, I would ticket EVERYONE who doesn't signal. No warnings. Just a ticket. You can speed, go through a yellow light that turns red, etc. but if you don't use your turn signal, you are getting a ticket.

Using your turn signal is the easiest thing to do and you don't need any special equipment. Utilizing the signal makes it safer for everyone around you as well as yourself. When trying to get into another lane other drivers will see you would like to get in their lane and will probably let you in. If they don't let you in, they weren't going to let you in anyway so you might as well use it.

How often have you waited at a turn and see a car coming that isn't using their turn signal? You don't know if they are going to make a turn, so you continue to wait only to find that they turned without using the signal. Had they used the signal, you could have made your turn onto the street as well. Using the signal improves EVERYONE'S driving experiences which would reduce road rage.

Plus, it's the law.
I do not see the point of fining them for that, I just think it should be the same sentence for every body 20 hours community service, maybe having them pick up the trash on the side off the road, littering 40 hours etc.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:15 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,958,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I'd love to join you in the academy!! This is nothing but pure laziness!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 01:51 PM

159 posts, read 214,925 times
theroc5156, I completely agree! It ticks me off when people don't signal, I mean...how hard is it???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte