U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charlotte from San Diego: schools, safety, recreation, neighborhood, beach feel, shopping and restaurants

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 04:29 PM

38 posts, read 85,643 times

Advertisements

I've been reading this forum for several months now after deciding to take a job that will move my 11yo son and I to Charlotte. I grew up in Pacific Beach and have lived in Leucadia for the past 20 years. Needless to say, I have a few doubts. No offense to relocaters from other areas, but San Diegans have a unique perspective.

I'd like to get your thoughts on the area now that you're living there. Cheap real estate isn't our draw, so based on the life style we're leaving, what can we expect? I've focused on Union Cty for living. I currently live in Leucadia and understand the beach and that life isn't there. I am, however, adaptable. I am a single dad, my primary concern is a good life for my son. (Schools, safety, recreation, neighborhood, etc.) Your thoughts on this and what you like and dislike would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 09:27 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,343,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfSwamis View Post
I've been reading this forum for several months now after deciding to take a job that will move my 11yo son and I to Charlotte. I grew up in Pacific Beach and have lived in Leucadia for the past 20 years. Needless to say, I have a few doubts. No offense to relocaters from other areas, but San Diegans have a unique perspective.

I'd like to get your thoughts on the area now that you're living there. Cheap real estate isn't our draw, so based on the life style we're leaving, what can we expect? I've focused on Union Cty for living. I currently live in Leucadia and understand the beach and that life isn't there. I am, however, adaptable. I am a single dad, my primary concern is a good life for my son. (Schools, safety, recreation, neighborhood, etc.) Your thoughts on this and what you like and dislike would be appreciated.
Hmmmm....I am not sure how unique my perspective is...as I'm not from the San Diego area..yet I have spent alot of time down in your parts...as I grew up on the coast of Southern CA (north of you). We left 3 years ago..now located in Tega Cay, SC (Fort Mill, SC area)...just outside of Charlotte, NC. No offense taken if you are not interested....but I will put the offer out there..and feel free to send me a PM if you wish.

Best of luck to you and yours!

Old 01-25-2007, 03:55 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,377,545 times
I would recommend Ft. Mill as well, especially if you're wanting to be near recreation.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:14 AM

68 posts, read 169,065 times
Although I am not from CA, I am a transplant from the North(Long Island surrounded by beach). You mentioned the beach, yes although we are land locked we do have the lakes. You might want to check out the Lake Norman area, which you can still kind of have that beach feel (sort of ), their are a lot of activities,shopping and restuarants. It is a wonderful place to raise a family. We also have some top rated schools for your son. If you would like more info on the lake area let me know.
www.lakenormanchamber.org

Old 01-25-2007, 06:37 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,849,198 times
Default Bugs, Humidity, Groceries

It's not a direct correlation, but we used to live in Redondo Beach before moving to Asheville in the early 90's for a temporary (1-year) contract. We then returned to Redondo. Here are the things that struck us the most, although I would not necessarily say these are good or bad things. And, as a personal note, we eventually were moved to Virginia. We'll be retiring soon and even though we loved Redondo Beach we'll be returning to NC, not California.

Differences between CA and NC:
1. Insects. There are almost no insects in CA. There aer ALOT of bugs in NC, especially mosquitoes.
2. Relatively few Hispanics in NC. This may or may not matter to you, but it freaked out my girl friend who is Mexcian and who felt uncomfortable in NC. I never noticed any racism, however.
3. People in NC spend much more time with family members than Californians do (Californians often do not have nearby family members). Therefore, people spend much less time going out every evening and there are substantially fewer community clubs and activities.
4. It's much more humid here, and frequently rains. Personally, I like that... but Californians often have a hard time watching people have a casual attitude toward fire. The number of people who smoke may disturb you, and the number of smokers who toss lighted matches is very likely to disturb you. (Rest assured, the humidity is high enough that these matches don't seem to cause fires.)
5. Groceries will be more expensive and you will have somewhat less variety (at least at the regular stores, there are many gourmet and specialty stores that fill in the gap).
6. Mildew is something you must fight on a weekly or daily basis. It just becomes part of your routine.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:04 PM

14 posts, read 41,968 times
Oh how we miss San Diego!! We lived in Ocean Beach and North Park for 10 yrs..just too expensive to stay... That said..my husband and I are getting used to Charlotte...moved here 1 1/2 yrs. ago. Live in Plaza Midwood..historical district..more culture..art area..10 min to Uptown..as they call it here..(aka downtown). The weather is ok..if it's chilly-winter..at least the sun's usually out..
Mosquito's are a pain..but you put lots of citronella candles in the yard..as in SD we are always out bbq-ing..planting etc..the ONLY thing cheaper..as you said is housing. Groceries..elec..gas..water..are all more here..which was a real surprise..we are getting a Trader Joe's soon..We don't have kids..but I hear good things about the Charlotte private schools..Montesorri..it's real family oriented here..lots of organizations..
The Mt's-beach..2-3 hr. drive away..but there are Lakes..boating..sorry no surf!
Good Luck..

Old 07-27-2007, 11:40 AM

38 posts, read 90,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfSwamis View Post

it's been a long time since you posted, a small note to you. im from san diego ca, i know leucadia really well .. miss pipes coffee house by solana beach, where did you buy, ??? and if your here already do you miss san diego county
i moved to union county waxhaw

Old 07-27-2007, 12:17 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,576,406 times
I Was raised in Mira Mesa, San Diego...Beautiful Lifestyle over there. Wish i can convince my wife to go out there, But it is tad high to live there. Why would you want to leave the beautiful weather and come to NC.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:27 PM

93 posts, read 361,609 times
Wow, another transplant! I lived in San Diego for two years, (Bonita area) as my dad was stationed out there in the military, but I'm origninally from the Norfolk, VA area. I have also lived in Phoenix.

A few things you'll encounter more out here compared to sunny San Diego:

More bugs
More humidity
More mildew,mold
Less wildfires
Less drought

Water bills and electric bills are a little bit less, but depends on how much you use. The water bills in AZ were insane!!!!

This is a very diverse area; small Latino community, but mostly African-American. Also some small pockets of Indian as well. Everybody gets along with everybody, not matter where you're from. All in all, southerners are great people and eveyone that I have met is very gracious and friendly. I really didn't get that feeling out in SoCal or AZ. There is lots to do here as far as culture, music, dining, etc. As with any area, check out the school systems; some are OK, some are not. This is a great discussion forum, as there are more people on this forum that have lived here for years and can tell you more about the schools, best places to live, etc. That's how I learned more about the area. The cool thing is that we can go to the Lakes up north at any time, since I grew up near the water. As long as we're within driving distance of the Outer Banks, NC, I'm happy.

Keep checking back and good luck to you!

Old 07-27-2007, 01:10 PM

38 posts, read 90,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynpt View Post
Wow, another transplant! I lived in San Diego for two years, (Bonita area) as my dad was stationed out there in the military, but I'm origninally from the Norfolk, VA area. I have also lived in Phoenix.

A few things you'll encounter more out here compared to sunny San Diego:

More bugs
More humidity
More mildew,mold
Less wildfires
Less drought

Water bills and electric bills are a little bit less, but depends on how much you use. The water bills in AZ were insane!!!!

This is a very diverse area; small Latino community, but mostly African-American. Also some small pockets of Indian as well. Everybody gets along with everybody, not matter where you're from. All in all, southerners are great people and eveyone that I have met is very gracious and friendly. I really didn't get that feeling out in SoCal or AZ. There is lots to do here as far as culture, music, dining, etc. As with any area, check out the school systems; some are OK, some are not. This is a great discussion forum, as there are more people on this forum that have lived here for years and can tell you more about the schools, best places to live, etc. That's how I learned more about the area. The cool thing is that we can go to the Lakes up north at any time, since I grew up near the water. As long as we're within driving distance of the Outer Banks, NC, I'm happy.

Keep checking back and good luck to you!
I AGREE ALSO but you forgot more lighting storms here in NC ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or