Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:43 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Or perhaps the Urban Dictionary spelling...
Okay - now I know what my son is meaning when he writes "that is REDICULOUS" - cause he typically spells it correctly - but I didn't get it. Text messaging has changed so much . . . I gotta get more educated, Barking. Eduktd.

BTW - I have read several reports that state the price of hops has increased, wh/ will be reflected in price increases for beer. So . . . not only are entrees going up . . . if you like a beer with your meal, you will be paying more for that, too . . .

Last edited by brokensky; 08-03-2008 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 06:48 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,786,598 times
If you were more educated Ani you'd be running this country.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
If you were more educated Ani you'd be running this country.
If I did run this country, you can bet we would be growing more food here and importing less . . . so produce didn't have to be shipped so far . . . thus saving on fuel plus keeping cost of veggies/soybeans/flour down . . . and we would be using rail, and not trucks . . . etc. etc. Norfolk Southern would be running high capacity on multiple rails 24/7 . . . bringing your food to you at the cheapest transport prices possible.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:09 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,610,929 times
might be surprised what you are really getting in a bunch of these restaurants

How Sysco came to monopolize most of what you eat. - By Ulrich Boser - Slate Magazine

Old 08-03-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post

How Sysco came to monopolize most of what you eat. - By Ulrich Boser - Slate Magazine
Terrific article! I have worked w/ hospitals that contract w/ Sysco and yes, I have seen/eaten the frozen entrees. My belief is that a lot of restaurants are passing off as "made on site" entrees that are merely microwaved or baked in the back. Lasagna is especially likely to be frozen.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:54 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,655,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post

Every time
we go out to eat, my husband is amazed at how CHEAP it is to eat out here. We lived in Northern Virginia for two years before coming back, and every time we went out to eat there, for two people, the price would have been at least 1/3 to 1/2 MORE than it is here. (Even at the chain restaurants, or the "cheap" places.) We see it as a bargain!
I have to agree, also having come down from the mid-Atlantic. We find that going out to eat does tend to cost us less here than it did back in our previous hometown - the same for drink prices at local bars too. The first couple of restaurants we ate out at here were Cantina Fifteen Eleven and Firebirds and we thought thought the prices were rather inexpensive. Although I understand that its all relative; I cannot compare what prices may have been here a year ago.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I have to agree, also having come down from the mid-Atlantic. We find that going out to eat does tend to cost us less here than it did back in our previous hometown - the same for drink prices at local bars too. The first couple of restaurants we ate out at here were Cantina Fifteen Eleven and Firebirds and we thought thought the prices were rather inexpensive. Although I understand that its all relative; I cannot compare what prices may have been here a year ago.
Moved back here in late 2002 and have thought the prices were high then. And I think the drink prices are high, too. And beer, unless on special. But I had been in the midwest where both drink prices and upscale dining was cheaper. However, when I travel to DC, CHI, ATL, etc. I still think prices here are high. No one else seems to agree with me, tho. I have been complaining since I moved back here . . . When I can get a cheaper martini in Dallas at a three or four star restaurant . . . just peeves me no end when I get back to CLT.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:19 PM

2,140 posts, read 4,429,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post

That really is an eye-opening article! I would not have guessed the extent to which Sysco provides the food for so many restaurants. With the cost of living here in California, my wife and I hardly ever eat out except for lunch once in a great while, and then when we have a coupon. Even Denny's entrees have crept up near 10 bucks.

We just look at the grocery store ads once every two weeks (each payday), and will go to as many as four different grocery stores to get the best deals from each of them. A couple of Kingsford bags of charcoal, and I have my barbecue pit going an average of five evenings a week. You save a fortune cooking chicken or pork chop "valu-packs" or top sirloin steaks yourself versus eating out at a restaurant for dinner. If I can find salmon for sale, I buy a couple of packages, get the barbecue pit going, spray some aluminum foil with non-stick cooking spray, put the salmon on it, and save quite a bit compared to going to Red Lobster or some other seafood place.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:36 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,030,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If I did run this country, you can bet we would be growing more food here and importing less . . . so produce didn't have to be shipped so far . . . thus saving on fuel plus keeping cost of veggies/soybeans/flour down . . . and we would be using rail, and not trucks . . . etc. etc. Norfolk Southern would be running high capacity on multiple rails 24/7 . . . bringing your food to you at the cheapest transport prices possible.

Hear, hear, Ani for president!

In many ways what you describe is a throwback to an earlier era, one that if we were wise we would once again embrace...

Old 08-03-2008, 10:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,252,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Terrific article! I have worked w/ hospitals that contract w/ Sysco and yes, I have seen/eaten the frozen entrees. My belief is that a lot of restaurants are passing off as "made on site" entrees that are merely microwaved or baked in the back. Lasagna is especially likely to be frozen.

I havent had issue with pre made food sent to restaurants in the Charlotte area. It really bad in the triad area and watch out for those small towns they are litter with restaurants who serve pre made dishes from the same companies that make public school lunches.

A big clue for me is a restaurant that serves to different type of region of foods Like Chinese and American

It is us the consumer that will let a restaurant know if their prices are to high. We will visit less frequent or not at all and slowly but surely that restaurant will hopefully disappear or get the greed out of their eyes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte