Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:43 AM

7 posts, read 20,820 times

Advertisements

I just posted the following message on the South Carolina web site. However, since we are interested in the Charlotte area, I thought I would also post it here.

On August 13, we will be coming into Ballantyne for 5 nights. Our goal is to look into different types of housing in both Carolinas. Yes, we know about Sun City in Fort Mill. It is a lovely age restricted community, however, for the size of house we would like, it is somewhat pricey. Thus my wife and I are now looking in another direction. The two of us would like to look at less expensive communities in the Charlotte area that are geared to people who are retired(We are in our early 60's.). The communities do not have to be age restricted as long as a significant part of the neighborhood has an older population. We would like to relocate to a region where there are numerous amenities and where the opportunity exists for meeting like minded individuals.

Any suggestions that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Orge113
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 03:03 PM

444 posts, read 1,649,257 times
My husband and I have moved to Sun City Carolina Lakes and love the neighborhood!! My husband does not hesitate to say that it is an awesome area and that he is really happy.

It took us a while to decide on SCCL because of the things you mentioned and because the houses are vinyl and do not have the amenities that we were accustomed to in a house.

Right now you can really get some deals when purchasing here. Pulte is throwing in sun rooms, two years dues and a golf cart also reducing the cost of the lot. It might be worth your while to do another look see and perhaps you will find it is something you can work with on pricing.

Good luck to you in the Charlotte area,

Dunroven

Old 08-03-2008, 09:33 PM

124 posts, read 361,435 times
Default Over 55 areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by orge113 View Post
I just posted the following message on the South Carolina web site. However, since we are interested in the Charlotte area, I thought I would also post it here.

On August 13, we will be coming into Ballantyne for 5 nights. Our goal is to look into different types of housing in both Carolinas. Yes, we know about Sun City in Fort Mill. It is a lovely age restricted community, however, for the size of house we would like, it is somewhat pricey. Thus my wife and I are now looking in another direction. The two of us would like to look at less expensive communities in the Charlotte area that are geared to people who are retired(We are in our early 60's.). The communities do not have to be age restricted as long as a significant part of the neighborhood has an older population. We would like to relocate to a region where there are numerous amenities and where the opportunity exists for meeting like minded individuals.

Any suggestions that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Orge113
I am basically looking for the same type of area as you are, being in the same age bracket. but was told that really doesn't exist in CLT. All pretty much mixed communities. I have narrowed it down to Ballantyne area which is more accessible to age appropiate amenities and necessities, but decided to rent for approx 3-6 months to study the areas , opposed to making an error, plus it is closer to Columbia to check out that area also.I too found Sun City a bit much $$$ for what's available. . Altho I am sure it is very nice. Ardsley, Providence Rd.and Rea Rd. etc also look like a a good place to explore. Lot of growth going on there and pretty areas., and easy to get around, even on foot. I have researched most of the apts. in that area for temp stay if you are interested will gladly share, and please let me know how your trip goes, cause I have to get down there soon. Good Luck
PS You can DM if you wish//

Old 08-04-2008, 12:53 PM

7 posts, read 20,820 times
Default Upcoming Trip

Thanks for the info. I am going on this trip with an open mind. I will be glad to share our findings with you. My e-mail address is as follows:

{Moderator Removed}: Please, no posting of personal email addresses in the forum. Use the forum's private sitemail feature. Thank you.

Orge113

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 09-27-2008 at 11:26 PM..

Old 09-26-2008, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 7,006 times
Default Check out The Polo Club at Mtn Island Lake

The Polo Club at Mtn. Island Lake is definately worth checking out. It's much smaller than Sun City and very close to downtown & all the interstates (85, 77 and 485). All homes are single-level and very attractive with hardi-siding and stone exteriors. It's a 55+ community.
www.poloclubatmountainisland.com

Old 09-26-2008, 09:50 PM

221 posts, read 724,525 times
you may also want to check into stuarts landing in gaston county. There is also The Cottages in Pineville and Four Seasons in Fort Mill. The prices in Sun City Carolina Lakes vary from $179,900 to $569,000.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:57 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,148 times
Ryan also has an active adult community between Matthews and Monroe called Sun Valley.

I have to put my .02 in here about price. As dunroven said, they are "wheeling and dealing" down there. Do NOT go by the prices listed on the website. You really need to talk to a sales person directly (and preferably use a buyer's agent.......we had a great one!) to get the best deals. I had the exact same reaction when I saw the prices in their literature. I basically said "No way could we afford anything down there that would suit us". Our buyer's agent told us we should at least talk to someone anyhow as it didn't cost anything to ask. So we did.........and now we are the proud owners of a house down there, one which is bigger than I definately thought we could afford. All because we actually talked to someone instead of just looking at literature and on the website.

Also.......Not sure what you are looking at, but the mid-sized homes (called Summit series) are now available with lofts. This adds another bedroom, bathroom and living area on the second floor, but doesn't add a lot to the price. If you haven't seen the new models, I would suggest you go take a look at them.

You can also search on this site: http://www.activeadultliving.com/statesbyname.htm for North Carolina and South Carolina.

Last edited by rothbear; 09-27-2008 at 08:50 PM..

Old 09-27-2008, 10:31 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
How much are the monthly dues in a place like Sun City?

Old 09-28-2008, 04:05 AM

7 posts, read 24,407 times
Default Check Saddlebrook at Stone Creek Ranch

Check the houses here (Tom Short and Bryant Farms Rd), the size and location are perfect, located in Ballantyne and although is not restricted, is actually an adult community. We moved here in January looking for what you are looking and we are very happy with the decision.
http://www.centexhomes.com/Charlotte/N45956.asp

Old 09-28-2008, 08:33 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
How much are the monthly dues in a place like Sun City?
Ours are currently $175/month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte