U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 08-03-2008, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
35,458 posts, read 43,120,733 times
Reputation: 19764

Advertisements

Back in my college days, we all got together at each other's houses. People would bring different dishes, or we would have a big cookout. Those were the BYOB days . . . This continued into the early 80s, but more often, the host would prepare a nice meal for everyone - maybe someone would bring a dessert and often guests would show up w/ a favorite bottle of wine to share . . . but sometime in the late 80s, it seems people quit entertaining so much at home.

I think this may be changing . . . do you all entertain at home? Are you considering doing this now that prices to eat out are going up?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2008, 07:27 PM
 
63 posts, read 172,511 times
Reputation: 32
i would very much rather get together at peoples houses. fire up the grill and smoker, drink some cold ones with the guys and just relax. its also more baby and toddler friendly!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2008, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,193 posts, read 3,191,788 times
Reputation: 1056
I grew up w/ my parents and our family friends entertaining every weekend in the 80s. I still do it. But definitely not as often. I also have just moved in this area so I don't know too many people. I haven't had the opportunity to do it. But I love entertaining, it's so much fun. But it is a LOT of work. Cooking for 20+ people and then the clean up! I think that's why people don't do it as much anymore.
Nowadays more people are doing it by catering (and even having a maid help them w/ it!).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2008, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
35,458 posts, read 43,120,733 times
Reputation: 19764
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC2CLT View Post
i would very much rather get together at peoples houses. fire up the grill and smoker, drink some cold ones with the guys and just relax. its also more baby and toddler friendly!
It is easier to relax, isn't it? As the hostess, it is easier for me to cook for a crowd than for just a few people. Especially easy if the grill is going!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2008, 07:39 PM
 
1,671 posts, read 4,134,998 times
Reputation: 1134
Ani, I do it entertain often because I like to host. I have game night at my home for fun. We keep it friendly like college--each game cost a quarter or dollar (depending on the people) and the loser must take lemondrop shots. You never get to old for board games. Each event must have great cheese, bread and plenty of wine besides the main entree. I do try to keep the main dish to one pan because it allows the guest to help themselves easier. My favorite dish is either bake lasagna or bake ziti. The girls are requesting when I will host my next event. My place is not kid friendly--I prefer adults only or children above 9 years old. Hell no, just leave your child home or pay my teen to babysit. I don't mind children if I lived in a house, but my two bedroom apartment just won't do.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2008, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
35,458 posts, read 43,120,733 times
Reputation: 19764
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
Ani, I do it entertain often because I like to host. I have game night at my home for fun. We keep it friendly like college--each game cost a quarter or dollar (depending on the people) and the loser must take lemondrop shots. You never get to old for board games. Each event must have great cheese, bread and plenty of wine besides the main entree. I do try to keep the main dish to one pan because it allows the guest to help themselves easier. My favorite dish is either bake lasagna or bake ziti. The girls are requesting when I will host my next event. My place is not kid friendly--I prefer adults only or children above 9 years old. Hell no, just leave your child home or pay my teen to babysit. I don't mind children if I lived in a house, but my two bedroom apartment just won't do.
Hee Hee Hee. AR, you are terrific!!! I knew you would be a super hostess. Your one dish idea is right on target, too. This way, things are done ahead and no standing over food when guests arrive. I love fixing baked ziti and also lasagna. Oh, nothing is better than gooey ziti or lasagna w/ good bread and wine . . . set it up and let everyone dig in.

Your idea of game nite sounds like so much fun!!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Status: "Nice and toasty!!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Mile High City
10,649 posts, read 11,298,661 times
Reputation: 9398
I like to entertain at home as well. Just cook up some pulled pork and sides or fire up the grill. I guess its the mother nature in me. PLUS anyone who overdrinks can stay over.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2008, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
35,458 posts, read 43,120,733 times
Reputation: 19764
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I like to entertain at home as well. Just cook up some pulled pork and sides or fire up the grill. I guess its the mother nature in me. PLUS anyone who overdrinks can stay over.
One nice thing about entertaining in your neighborhood - everyone can walk back home . . .
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2008, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Right where I want to be.
4,508 posts, read 5,406,517 times
Reputation: 3253
We have two new neighbors on our street so I am putting together something in the neighborhood for late August-early September (everyone will be home, kids back in school etc). I was thinking strawberry shortcake...homemade of course. Can't think of a better way to welcome new neighbors...yum!! (I don't think anyone on our street drinks...LOL).


I like to entertain at home...but it seems most people want to go out. Honestly, I can't remember the last time we invited people and anyone took the time to do more than pick up something at Harris Teeter. Really....when you say you will bring dessert I wasn't really thinking a plastic container of oatmeal cookies...even if they do say 'fresh from the bakery'. Maybe that is why people don't entertain at home more....they don't really cook...???
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2008, 08:33 PM
 
364 posts, read 743,640 times
Reputation: 92
I like to cook a meal and invite a few friends over. We also do the board games, and we trade off who hosts. I am newly married so it is a good excuse to get the china out and "play grown up". :-)
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top