U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 05:52 AM

6 posts, read 15,587 times

Advertisements

I read on someone's post that something like 80,000 people were moving there a month (i forget the exact number). Does this make it hard or easy to find jobs with the growth level? Specifically entry level tech sector jobs...

If jobs are hard to find, where is a good place to move for entry level tech sector jobs? lol

Preferably not in the southeast, northeast, or California.... maybe Seattle? Denver? where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 05:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,596,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeenerDog View Post

Preferably not in the southeast, northeast, or California.... maybe Seattle? Denver? where?

I am confuse by this line but the way I read it you just eliminated the whole United States except for Florida, Texas, Alaska, and Hawaii?

Old 08-04-2008, 06:25 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,160,016 times
I don't think 80,000 people are moving to NC a month. We are getting anywhere from 35,000 to 70,000 a year in this region (depends what year you look at stats and for what geographic area - and that may be slowing for 2008).

The unemployment rate is edging up here - and that is about all any of us can advise. Some people come and establish their own businesses . . . and that could mean hiring other employees. Some sectors have held fairly steady w/ openings - including healthcare. People are being laid off and it is hard to judge exactly what is going on in some sectors. For ex., contract truck drivers. Not really sure what is going on there w/ rising fuel costs. Some service line industries are cutting back, such as restaurants b/c of less patronage and increased costs. Not sure what is really happening in the building industry - especially residential. Seems like there should be a lot of subcontractors looking for work in the skilled trades (i.e. plumbing, electrical). Just not sure what the full picture is. The PR machine is going hot and heavy here, not wanting potential businesses to be discouraged from moving here so unless a person can find raw data, it is hard to know how distorted the spin is from economic development gurus in Charlotte.

You add the tumultuous mortgage market to this scenario - and who knows what the real impact is as far as jobs . . .

Let's put it this way. If I lived somewhere outside this state and had a job that seemed secure, I wouldn't be considering moving anywhere right now. But that is just me.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:06 AM

14,123 posts, read 20,887,348 times
80k a month????? You are aware of how many people that is right?? That should be per year as Ani stated.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,160,016 times
Quote:
I read on someone's post that something like 80,000 people were moving there a month (i forget the exact number). Does this make it hard or easy to find jobs with the growth level? Specifically entry level tech sector jobs...

If jobs are hard to find, where is a good place to move for entry level tech sector jobs? lol

I would check out Seattle for tech jobs if you are free to move anywhere. Just be aware that the cost of living is higher in Seattle than in many parts of the country, but not sure where you are living now.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:34 AM

620 posts, read 1,920,844 times
The economy right now isn't helping the situation. Unemployment is up everywhere. It just isn't very easy to get a job right now. There are some tech jobs in Charlotte, but you may want to check out Raleigh.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:08 AM

6 posts, read 15,587 times
OK....so the economy is bad everywhere....surely some cities are better than others...

Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 AM

624 posts, read 1,892,142 times
Quote:
OK....so the economy is bad everywhere....surely some cities are better than others...

Oh absolutely! India is hiring a lot of people in the IT industry. Right now I'm working on a team that has about eight employees in Pune, India...and let me tell you, the cost of living sure beats anything that you'll find even in Charlotte!

Plus you don't have to worry about living in the Southeast, Northeast or California...

Old 08-05-2008, 09:53 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,171,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
Oh absolutely! India is hiring a lot of people in the IT industry. Right now I'm working on a team that has about eight employees in Pune, India...and let me tell you, the cost of living sure beats anything that you'll find even in Charlotte!

Plus you don't have to worry about living in the Southeast, Northeast or California...
Strongly disagree....I have a close friend who just got back from visiting friends and family in Pune, India. He couldn't wait to get back to the US.

Although the cultural differences aren't as pronounced, there are times when I can't wait to get back to the US, after visiting family in Europe. I can't imagine what the adjustment period would be like for an American moving to southern Asia.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:39 AM

743 posts, read 2,027,244 times
Quote:

If you are ruling out the southeast, then why are you posting on the Charlotte forum?? Shouldn't you be checking with the northwest/midwest forum? They may have a better idea of the economy there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte