Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 09:23 AM
ADR ADR started this thread

171 posts, read 518,045 times

Advertisements

I have heard that it is but I can't believe it would be at a yard sale or something.

I could see stores not being able to sell used ones but if I am buying something from somebody as an individual I can't see wht it would be illegal.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 09:51 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
The law about selling used mattresses had to do w/ public health interests, more than consumer protection, if I understood it correctly - and requires "sanitation" of mattresses as a requirement b/f they are sold.

I have no clue about yard sales . . . I was told a long time ago that one can only give away mattresses, not sell them, in NC. This was while I was working at a newspaper and the publisher said we could not run ads that are for used mattresses - that a person can sell a bed and give away the mattress w/ it, but they cannot sell a used mattress. I have no idea if that was just someone's interpretation of the law - or what - cause I have seen used mattresses for sale (such as you mentioned - in classified ads for a yard sale).

Old 08-04-2008, 09:52 AM

628 posts, read 2,077,988 times
Who would buy a used mattress???? Bed bugs...bodily fluids....Yuck!!!!!!!!!! Just the thought creeps me out!

It's bad enough sleeping on a used bed when traveling.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:07 AM
ADR ADR started this thread

171 posts, read 518,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
Who would buy a used mattress???? Bed bugs...bodily fluids....Yuck!!!!!!!!!! Just the thought creeps me out!

It's bad enough sleeping on a used bed when traveling.
Hey, it never ceases to amaze me what people will buy at yard sales.

I have had several and where I have it there are alot of Hispanics. I guess if you don't have a mattress a used one beats the floor.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:30 AM

237 posts, read 298,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
Hey, it never ceases to amaze me what people will buy at yard sales.

I have had several and where I have it there are alot of Hispanics. I guess if you don't have a mattress a used one beats the floor.
yard sale ,at home, and "there are " hispanics there, but dont live in the area?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
You would be surprise the amount of hispanics that will show up in a non hispanic area for a yard sale. They are great for yards sales since they often carry lots of cash and if they dont speak english well they are unable to haggle the price that well.
You really just need to know basic Spanish to make more effective sale.
I would never buy a used mattress even if it was wrap in bedding plastic.
Like it was said above.

Sanitation.

I would not report if I saw someone doing it because our cops have bigger issues to be concern with and if someone want it then let them have it but dont invite me over to use it.
Coleman air mattresses are cheap and you can hose it down.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Coleman air mattresses are cheap and you can hose it down.
ROFL!!! I have a Coleman air mattress! Haven't had to hose it off . . yet!!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ROFL!!! I have a Coleman air mattress! Haven't had to hose it off . . yet!!!!
Let me tie it to back of kayak and pull you around while your drinking up a margarita.

We will not let Pookie drive due to they seem to drive into sticks or rocks lol

Old 08-04-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Let me tie it to back of kayak and pull you around while your drinking up a margarita.

We will not let Pookie drive due to they seem to drive into sticks or rocks lol
Will that work as well as the inner tubes we used to hook up to boats and ride all over the lake?????

Do you think we can rig up a cup holder out of duct tape???? I can put my Margarita in one of those big Circle K coffee mugs w/ lid, but I don't wanna have to hold it the whole time.

And no . . . Pookie is not allowed to drive if it means I am gonna get poked w/ lake debris!!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 05:16 PM

Ill use the publilc profile box of you to not hijack this thread.

Another thing that could be wrong with buying used matteresses is mold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte