Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 09:29 AM

43 posts, read 90,166 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I've been reading a few posts. I'm a NY'er interested in relocating to Charlotte. I'm a teacher and my husband is in the technology field. It seems teaching jobs are pretty easy to get in Charlotte based on my reading and research so far. However, technology appears to be hit or miss. Can someone recommend a good technical recruiter or headhunter?

Also, what area of Charlotte or any other area of NC has a nice balance of folks from different regions and not just NY? We have a friend who just moved to Mecklenburg County around the Piper Glen area. What is the makeup in this area and how are the schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 11:08 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
No one has responded to your post, so I will. Maybe others will weigh in.

I am not sure what you have been reading that would give you the impression that it is easy to get jobs in this region . . . our unemployment rate is going up.

As for teaching . . .we have had cutbacks and a hiring freeze here in the CMS system. I think there are job openings in very specific areas, such as chemistry. Have not checked to verify that. There may still be openings in other districts around Meck. You would need to check w/ specific county websites to determine if there are openings. Most school systems have signed contracts already and many have started orientation for new teachers (or have completed orientation).

You mention "technology"as your DH's field, but did not specify what you meant - are you saying IT? If he is in IT, a headhunter is not going to be of much help, IMHO, as we are having layoffs w/ Wachovia, wh/ will put a lot of people out of work . . . and people who are already living here will have a better chance at securing interviews for any openings than someone who is trying to interview long distance. Plus, it appears salaries for new hires are gonna be going down (at least in the banking sector) b/c the word on the street is BofA has informed some of their contract employees that they are lowering rates per hour. That indicates to me that w/ the glut of IT talent available on the market here, wages overall are gonna go down for IT professionals.

Since Charlotte is now made up of 2/3 newcomers from other areas, you are very likely to have a lot of newcomers around you no matter where you choose to live. Piper Glen is a nice area. In that price range, there would be many neighborhoods for you to choose from.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:14 PM

10 posts, read 27,081 times
A great area would be Fort Mill, across the NC border since it has much lower living expenses, but is about 20 min. from Uptown Charlotte. Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-04-2008 at 05:08 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 08:30 PM

43 posts, read 90,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No one has responded to your post, so I will. Maybe others will weigh in.

I am not sure what you have been reading that would give you the impression that it is easy to get jobs in this region . . . our unemployment rate is going up.

As for teaching . . .we have had cutbacks and a hiring freeze here in the CMS system. I think there are job openings in very specific areas, such as chemistry. Have not checked to verify that. There may still be openings in other districts around Meck. You would need to check w/ specific county websites to determine if there are openings. Most school systems have signed contracts already and many have started orientation for new teachers (or have completed orientation).

You mention "technology"as your DH's field, but did not specify what you meant - are you saying IT? If he is in IT, a headhunter is not going to be of much help, IMHO, as we are having layoffs w/ Wachovia, wh/ will put a lot of people out of work . . . and people who are already living here will have a better chance at securing interviews for any openings than someone who is trying to interview long distance. Plus, it appears salaries for new hires are gonna be going down (at least in the banking sector) b/c the word on the street is BofA has informed some of their contract employees that they are lowering rates per hour. That indicates to me that w/ the glut of IT talent available on the market here, wages overall are gonna go down for IT professionals.

Since Charlotte is now made up of 2/3 newcomers from other areas, you are very likely to have a lot of newcomers around you no matter where you choose to live. Piper Glen is a nice area. In that price range, there would be many neighborhoods for you to choose from.
Yes, I meant IT. Thanks for your response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: