U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:48 AM

5,148 posts, read 6,362,762 times

Advertisements

I have been watching with great interest, the stories about copper wire theft along I-77. This has been going on for more than a year, if not longer. Just last week on WBTV, reporter Tom Roussey came across someone stealing wire in the middle of his report on the problem. What are the police doing about this to solve the problem? Apparently not much!

What ever happened to "old fashioned police work" in apprehending these thieves? Has anyone thought about doing a stakeout in the areas of greatest theft? Surely, the CMPD could afford to dedicate some personnel to work on this problem. The damage has resulted in repairs that will cost several hundred thousand dollars. Now the NCDOT has decided to "skip" these high-theft areas to repair other parts of I-77!

The CMPD might be checking into places that "buy" all of this copper. Someone has to be receiving large amounts of copper and have a pretty good idea that it didn't come from "legitimate sources". Perhaps CMPD could set up a sting operation in an old building that buys "recycled metal".

I find it very distressing that so much of the police response is "after the fact". If something isn't done on a "proactive basis", I think that in a few years, Charlotte will be the big dark area with those few bright, tall buildings in the distance. Just having folks call the CMPD for some suspicious activity along the highway is not good enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 10:54 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,367,998 times
I don't know what is being done to thwart these thefts, Em, but I saw a report the other nite that stated CMPD has put out warnings to scrap metal buyers that they are to report anyone selling suspicious copper lots.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:04 AM

9,113 posts, read 15,320,190 times
I did not watch the report, but my 1st quesion is how is the lighting around those lighting control boxes where the copper is taken from?

Can't they try temp lighting maybe on a pole or something so they are more visible to the naked eye?

Old 08-04-2008, 11:06 AM

5,148 posts, read 6,362,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't know what is being done to thwart these thefts, Em, but I saw a report the other nite that stated CMPD has put out warnings to scrap metal buyers that they are to report anyone selling suspicious copper lots.
ani - That will work as well as "unscrupulous auto parts stores" not buying all the Honda and Toyota parts. If it's in their economic interest to keep buying this stuff, they will. Why would they want to report a crime if they're making money off of it? "Virtue" does not pay too well these days! This just shows how naive the CMPD is!

Old 08-04-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani - That will work as well as "unscrupulous auto parts stores" not buying all the Honda and Toyota parts. If it's in their economic interest to keep buying this stuff, they will. Why would they want to report a crime if they're making money off of it? "Virtue" does not pay too well these days! This just shows how naive the CMPD is!
Yeah, it is like telling these landscaping, roofing and tiling companies that it is not nice to hire undocumented people.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:35 PM

11,836 posts, read 24,997,054 times
Maybe they could set up something tempting & run 20,000 volts through it...

Old 08-04-2008, 12:52 PM

3,354 posts, read 8,678,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Maybe they could set up something tempting & run 20,000 volts through it...
Make it 40,000 and make sure.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:01 PM

Not exactly copper - but ripping off county property - did you all see this????? It was on CNN, I think.

Police: Man Tries To Sell Light Pole For Scrap Metal - Local News Story - WTVJ | Miami

Old 08-04-2008, 01:14 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,411,615 times
Some of the properties I go through have the sheet rock all kicked in and wire/plumbing stripped. It really is sad as it not only affects the house but the neighborhood itself.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:15 PM

Well - remember LAMF's story - the whole blame A/C was ripped out! Churches having copper gutters torn off . . . crazy stuff!!!! Oh - and cemeteries - where thugs had stolen the urns - to sell for scrap . . . there has to be something basically wrong w/ a person's brain - and I am serious here!!! - their frontal lobes must not be developed properly - if they feel it is okay to steal just to get a few $$. Like you said - it is so destructive and it tears down whole neighborhoods - devalues property - and makes people feel threatened and unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte