Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 01:42 PM

85 posts, read 249,817 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've been reading these boards extensively over the last month or so. My husband and I are seriously considering a move and from what I've read (which has been a lot), we're leaning toward the Charlotte area. Our first thought was to go toward Raleigh, but the school redistricting situation makes me uncomfortable. Anyway, we haven't even driven down for a visit but my husband has been sending out resumes in the area when he sees something of interest.

My question (which I'm sorry has been too long a time coming) is if we truly decide to make this move, what's the best way to hunt for a job? Everyone says to get a job first, but how do employers feel about out of state applicants - do they even bother with them if there are plenty of in-state ones as well? Are there good, honest headhunter companies that anyone knows about? This is completely new ground for us - we've lived in the same place our whole lives.

Any advice??
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 01:43 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,193 times
It would help to know what type of work you are looking for?

Old 08-05-2008, 02:11 PM

You're right - sorry about that! My husband is an IT Director for a managed services/consulting firm. He also has about 10 years experience as IT Manager for a hospital and 2 year for a radiology company. He's willing to enter a job as manager again but would prefer a director job.
Thanks again!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:20 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,193 times
Your best bet is to start with the human resources depts. for the hospitals. All of the Charlotte region's hospitals are owned by either Carolinas Healthcare or Presbyterian. Their websites are:
Search Careers (http://careers.carolinashealthcare.org/search/ - broken link) and

http://psoftext.novanthealth.org:900...nal_index.html

Additionally, there are a slew of doctor's groups, same day surgery clinics and the like. You might also check Rock Hill/Ft Mill SC and Mooresville/Statesville NC. Hope this helps!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:30 PM

Thank you for the ideas and links. I'll pass this onto my husband tonight and let him check it out! Take care!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:32 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Here's my advice..have your husband network with a national recruiter in the area where you live, if he already does not have one. Have this recruiter call their counterpart in Charlotte. That way, you are already in with the recruiter. He is a senior level person...this should not be too hard.

Second, keep your search FOCUSED on your industry...not Monster, not Careerbuilder, not any of that...

Google "Health Insurance Careers". I just did right now and came across this website:
HEALTH INSURANCE JOBS - health insurance employment health jobs employment jobs health care jobs careers resumes healthcare job postings

I know I have another website saved in my favorites at home where I actually signed up to get alerts. The positions are all senior level (probably over my head on some as they are asking for PhD's, PharmD, MPH, etc.) but they are not all in Charlotte. I'm thinking you are not dead set on the Carolinas, but if you are, this might not be good as they are all over the country (Chicago, Seattle, Florida, etc.)

He first needs to go straight to the consulting company websites that are doing managed care consulting...Premier, Amerisourcebergen, Cardinal Health, etc. etc....for this Google "Health Care Consulting Charlotte"...

Follow the links like breadcrumbs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte