Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 08:40 PM

5 posts, read 12,356 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to north carolina we have three school aged children 2 in elementary 1 in her last year of middle school . We currently live in NJ and are planning to move at the end of the school year (here it is June ) I plan to come to the Charlotte area in Feb. but I have mixed views about what areas are good as far as schools go that is the biggest concern for me. I have heard that Mecklenburg county has a horrible school system if that is true where can I go that has good schools and safe neigborhoods? I hear that concord,corneilus,huntersville,mooresville,matthew s,mint hill are good areas I was also told that Cabarras county is good and union county is good. Can someone please guide me in the right direction.

Old 01-30-2006, 12:23 PM

7 posts, read 23,892 times
Default us too!

Hi Jacqui, my family and I are also looking to relocate to N.C. and my wife is like you in the sense that schools are priority #1. We have friends who have already researched and came up with towns called Wesley Chapel, Weddington, and Waxhaw that have super school systems. We are visiting next month to see for ourselves and heard the area is to "die for"
I'll keep you posted on any developments. Dino

Old 02-02-2006, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,586 times
Hello Jacqui and Dino, we are in the same situation. we are 4 our 2 children and my husband and I.
Scools are defenetly our prioriy. If you can also keep me posted, i will do so if i find something new. Thank you very much.
Paola

Old 02-05-2006, 07:31 PM
kjr

1 posts, read 2,585 times
Thumbs up weddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paola
Hello Jacqui and Dino, we are in the same situation. we are 4 our 2 children and my husband and I.
Scools are defenetly our prioriy. If you can also keep me posted, i will do so if i find something new. Thank you very much.
Paola

My husband and I ( plus 2 kids) are considering relocation from Florida to Weddington. We looking up in the Lake Norman area, but the Nuclear Power Plant was a little too close for comfort. My husband is visiting Charlotte again this week, and will tour the Weddington area. I've been told it's a little more rural than the Cornelius area....we'll see!

Old 11-01-2006, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 11,500 times
I think I should have read the rules better this may not get thru. here is a place for sell in Newton, N.C. It is a really nice place . I have been in the home. very roomy. http://www.homesandland.com/Listing....446&MagId=0775
take out the [/url] in the beginning and end. Cut and paste in browser.

Last edited by spuddyduddy; 11-01-2006 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: left out something

Old 11-01-2006, 11:16 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,168,572 times
I relocated from NY in 1998 -- first lived in South Charlotte and now in Union county.

Try this link for NC school report card info -- first choose county and then individual school: http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/

Feel free to PM me if you would like additional information, I would be happy to help

Old 11-01-2006, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,585 times
I moved to NC a year ago and will be *leaving* NC at the end of this school year.

Corporal punishment is rampant in the schools here. See the NYTimes article about this from last month. They spank, paddle, hit the kids on the hands, etc. and it is an accepted part of this culture.

At the local PUBLIC high school here, the science teacher reads from the Bible in class and tells the students there is no such thing as dinosaurs. The local PUBLIC high school history teacher told the students there was no such thing as the holocaust and that WWII was caused by the "money-grubbing Jews" and the Health teacher, in their reproductive health class asked the students for their first assignment to write an essay about the most important experience they had ever had, and gave as an example that the best day of her life was when she found Jesus.
I know a parent who complained about this and has gotten lip service from the school board. Her kids have been singled out for verbal abuse because they are not Bible Thumpers.

Welcome to Billy Graham World.

NC is a great place to homeschool.
There is a reason there are *thousands* of homeschoolers in North Carolina.
I have heard nothing good about the schools here.
My kids are in a charter school.
We are moving back as soon as possible.
HATE IT HERE
(and I lived here as a child)

Old 11-01-2006, 11:51 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,168,572 times
Wow, I have not experienced any of that in the 8 years I've been here -- do you mind if I ask what county?
Thanks so much.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving home View Post
I moved to NC a year ago and will be *leaving* NC at the end of this school year.

Corporal punishment is rampant in the schools here. See the NYTimes article about this from last month. They spank, paddle, hit the kids on the hands, etc. and it is an accepted part of this culture.

At the local PUBLIC high school here, the science teacher reads from the Bible in class and tells the students there is no such thing as dinosaurs. The local PUBLIC high school history teacher told the students there was no such thing as the holocaust and that WWII was caused by the "money-grubbing Jews" and the Health teacher, in their reproductive health class asked the students for their first assignment to write an essay about the most important experience they had ever had, and gave as an example that the best day of her life was when she found Jesus.
I know a parent who complained about this and has gotten lip service from the school board. Her kids have been singled out for verbal abuse because they are not Bible Thumpers.

HATE IT HERE
I have to ask, too. Which part of NC are you living in?
True, there is a lot of homeschooling here. But the way you worded it is misleading. The parents usually homeschool to provide Christian based teaching the kids do not get in public school.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving home View Post

HATE IT HERE
Where in NC do you live???? I've never heard of such doings in any public schools in Mecklenburg county, or elsewhere for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte