U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 09:56 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,091,344 times

Advertisements

I just moved into a home in Kannapolis, and we are going to be remodeling our kitchen. Not tearing down any walls, just moving appliances, cabinets, etc. I've read before that some states require homeowners to hire a General Contractor. Does anyone know what the laws are for this here, or if there is a webpage or guide that outlines when you have to hire one? Otherwise, my husband has built houses and remodeled before, so we were going to do it ourselves.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 10:25 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,478,235 times
I am not a 100% sure but I believe anything under $30K can be completed by yourself.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:38 AM

876 posts, read 3,482,790 times
how are they going to know what you do INSIDE your house?

Old 08-07-2008, 10:46 AM

85 posts, read 387,607 times
If you own the home and plan to live in it for 12 months after completion of the work, then you can perform the work without a licensed contractor.

North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors

North Carolina General Assembly - General Statutes - Chapter 87: Contractors.

However, if moving appliances require electrical work or gas piping, then be sure you know what you are doing. Be on the side of safety.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:50 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,091,344 times
Thanks for the info & helpful links! And no, they wouldn't know what I did inside the home, but I'm just trying to be super careful since this is my first experience as a home owner and I don't want to run into trouble.

It sounds like we can do the work then, since the house only cost 90K I don't think we wanna spend over 30K on just the kitchen!

Old 08-07-2008, 12:27 PM

19,817 posts, read 55,838,417 times
Also check what the permit requirements are where you live. When you go to sell the house, even in 30 yrs, if the work required a permit and ciity inspections and didn't have it, you are going to have trouble. It costs more to get the permits and then the inspectors have to approve the framing, electrical, and plumbing, plus a final inspection, but it makes your house safer. I know of a house sale that fell through when the buyer's inspection uncovered a remodel that wasn't up to code and then they couldn't find any permits on it. I also lived in a county in Miss. that didn't require any permits for anything - but that seemed sloppy to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte