Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:29 AM

124 posts, read 459,901 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job in South Charlotte so we'll be moving from Texas. We're excited about it because it's something he's passionate about and we'll be closer to family. However, it does involve a pay cut. We are taking it despite that because we want to be closer to family and it's a potentially great opportunity with payoff in the long term. What I will say is that we've been looking in the NC area for some time now and no, there isn't much at all. We jumped on this when it came up because we knew it might be our only chance to get into the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 08:42 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,267,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Ani's post nailed it Hoagie. And with Wachovia letting about 6000 people go in this area, things will get even harder. Even the most experienced of people are having a hard time finding a job right now.
I have been out of town the past 10 days and a little out of the loop.
Are the 6000 job cuts now centered in Charlotte?
That would repercussions well beyond the bank proper, and ripple down to many smaller support organizations.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:47 AM

518 posts, read 2,054,978 times
No, there are not 6,000 Wachovia cuts in Charlotte. My husband works there, most of the cuts come from vacant jobs, mortgage units and contract employees.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:38 AM

4 posts, read 9,440 times
I agree with Hoagie - I believe the right question to ask is - Do these people have skills to sell or are they simply looking to get jobs. For example, nursing is a skill and as such requires technical training however with that - you can work anywhere. A person who works for a company lets say as a car wash attendant is limited to where they gainfully become employed.
The predominate opinion is to seek employment before they go - I agree 100%

Old 08-10-2008, 12:14 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,375,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastone View Post
No, there are not 6,000 Wachovia cuts in Charlotte. My husband works there, most of the cuts come from vacant jobs, mortgage units and contract employees.
That is true about the vacant jobs, many just won't be filled and they will count toward that 6000, and SOME contractors will be let go (though believe it or not they are still HIRING some contractors right now), but a friend higher up at Wachovia has told me there will be thousands of regular jobs cut in Charlotte too unfortunately.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:52 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,438,103 times
Does it matter if they are Wachovia employees, contract employees, or temporary employees? Bottom line, the will find themselves without a job and be out there in the job market competing for available jobs.

They also have a foot up in the fact they already live in Charlotte.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:10 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,150,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Does it matter if they are Wachovia employees, contract employees, or temporary employees? Bottom line, the will find themselves without a job and be out there in the job market competing for available jobs.

They also have a foot up in the fact they already live in Charlotte.
Exactly. There are gonna be people out of jobs and that will affect our market. And I know some contract employees who have been cut, so it is definitely happening here (as well as elsewhere).

You are right. The people who are already here do have the best chance of landing a job in CLT - as they are here and available for quick job interviews . . . plus networking plays a huge part in finding a new job - and people who have worked together b/f can recommend their peers to a new, prospective employer.

As I said earlier - the type of work available to an individual is going to depend on education, skills and experience. Some sectors are hiring, some are cutting . . . some are sticking w/ the status quo (no hiring).

Having been recently in touch w/ shelters (to get data for a client), I can assure you - we are over run w/ homeless people right now - and many of them are people who have moved here thinking they would be escaping a bad situation - and find work here. Their money has run out and no, they have not found jobs so now they are on the street. This is a big mess when children are involved, as shelters have waiting lists in most cases and the available beds are often for women only or men only - and children have to be separated over a certain age. NOT GOOD. Packed. Services are stretched.

Most people who come here w/o jobs do NOT have six months of $$ to live off while they are hunting. The lucky ones have family here they can live w/ for a while. The unlucky ones may not have the money to scrape together to get enuff gas to even get back home.

Please, please . . . tell anyone who is thinking about coming here w/o a job to reconsider. The better thing to do would be for mom and kids to stay behind w/ family while dad goes and then he can do what so many of our g/parents had to do back in the 30s . . . "write when you get work."

Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,350,026 times
Obviously spelling and punctuation are not required skills for a career in either "charelt" or "alena"!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,171,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Obviously spelling and punctuation are not required skills for a career in either "charelt" or "alena"!
yea ,but you are grading the papers 5 years after they were written.....lol

Old 03-14-2013, 12:13 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,642,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
yea ,but you are grading the papers 5 years after they were written.....lol
He's good at spelling but forgot that 09 is after 08. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: