Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2008, 10:12 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried growing swiss chard, kale and spinach here in Charlotte? I have grown various greens (rape, mustard, turnip, etc) in a rural location in years past, but have never tried this in a suburban setting. I will probably have to use whiskey barrels (2).

Anyone have suggestions? Any ideas on varieties to use? Have you tried this from seed or gotten plants?

Should I be putting out seeds now?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 12:57 PM

285 posts, read 1,072,189 times
5 weeks ago I seeded a seedling tray of red swiss chard, 3 kinds of spinach, 2 kinds of basil and corn. I just planted the chard and spinach. chard died but the spinach is getting huge. Basil also got big. Corn is growing nice and tall.

I have more seeds and plan to once again plant them in my seedling tray and try again now that I removed all the tomato plants and cabbage from my garden. My peppers are still growing in nicely too. Will post if chard grows in from the next batch of seedlings.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
5 weeks ago I seeded a seedling tray of red swiss chard, 3 kinds of spinach, 2 kinds of basil and corn. I just planted the chard and spinach. chard died but the spinach is getting huge. Basil also got big. Corn is growing nice and tall.

I have more seeds and plan to once again plant them in my seedling tray and try again now that I removed all the tomato plants and cabbage from my garden. My peppers are still growing in nicely too. Will post if chard grows in from the next batch of seedlings.
I just knew I couldn't be the only person on the forum thinking about this!!! Thank you so much NewChar. I love swiss chard but I wonder how it will do. That sounds encouraging about the spinach, tho!

I guess I should get some seeds and go ahead and see how it works. I thought maybe it was that time. I would really like to have some greens to eat this fall.

Thanks again - and GOOD LUCK!!!! Do let us know how it goes . . .

Old 08-09-2008, 05:47 PM

What was strange about the swiss chards are that they sprouted beautifully with gorgeous red stems and veining on the little green leaves. After I transplanted them with the spinach and herbs, they died off/disappeared. I am going to try again but like I posted, put them in the garden area and not the side of the house where I had them before.

I forgot to mention I also planted a gigantic pumpkin that is supposed to give me a 600 pound one. LOL Right now it is a vigourous vine with flowers.....

If you hear about a south charlotte neighborhood with a giant jack o lantern in the yard.....

Old 08-09-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcharlottan View Post
What was strange about the swiss chards are that they sprouted beautifully with gorgeous red stems and veining on the little green leaves. After I transplanted them with the spinach and herbs, they died off/disappeared. I am going to try again but like I posted, put them in the garden area and not the side of the house where I had them before.

I forgot to mention I also planted a gigantic pumpkin that is supposed to give me a 600 pound one. LOL Right now it is a vigourous vine with flowers.....

If you hear about a south charlotte neighborhood with a giant jack o lantern in the yard.....
Oh wow - pumpkins! I wanted to plant those on our hill but we finally decided nothing would get enuff light there. We have such a heavy tree canopy - there is only good sunlight for a few hours a day. That is so neat that you are growing a pumpking patch . . .

That is odd about the chard. I have had some odd things happen w/ plants this year - we never could figure out what happen. One morning, we came out and several things had just wilted terribly, even tho the same plant next to it (same variety) was fine. Very strange. Then over the next few days, the plants just completely collapsed, and turned black! It was very very strange. I had used mold and fungus powder, but it was of no help. Have never in my whole life had anything affect plants that way. The plants next to the dead ones never "caught" whatever it was and have continued to be vigorous. I guess this was my seasonal mystery, LOL!!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:31 PM

Well I had large gorgeous cabbage plants growing huge heads. Then one morning they were completely full of holes. I think a horde of something came by and ate about 35 percent of the cabbage in one night! Ugh. Hubby ripped them all out as the heads were bored into.

And that black thingie is so strange! You can ask over at that hardware store in Matthews, the one that looks like an old fashioned general store in downtown matthews? They are very knowledgeable and extremely kind. They also specialize in organic too. I think my dad said they even have a show in the morning answering queestions on the radio.

I asked them about something eating my trumpet plant and they knew exactly what it was. Japanese beetles that only come out at night. They gave hubby a home remedy and it worked perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: