U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:19 PM

25 posts, read 79,026 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of hummingbird tips at this site. It is a Charlotte doctor who has invented a nifty hummingibird feeder. He has done a lot of research on feeding the little birds. Tons of good info

Dr. JB's Hummingbird Products
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 07:27 AM

630 posts, read 1,675,497 times
i'm not having alot of luck with hummingbirds. we do get flocks of cow birds though. We even have authentic hummingbird nectar. Should I move the feeder away from the other bird feeder?

Old 08-11-2008, 08:06 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,456,580 times
What do you mean "authentic hummingbird nectar"? I purchased some of that stuff at Lowes that you just mix with water but my hummers were not impressed one bit. It's still in the fridge come to think of it---ready to toss it now. They much prefer the sugar mixture. I did read one post a while back here where the woman put "orange extract' in with her sugar water and the hummers loved it. She had read about it in some magazine about birds. She said she just added a drop or so into the mixture and the birds loved it. I personally haven't felt the need to try that as I have so many this year it's already crazy out there! As far as the feeders being to close to other bird feeders---not sure about that but it wouldn't hurt to try moving them around just to see!

Old 08-11-2008, 08:11 AM

OK..just found the post regarding the orange extract. It's in the garden forum. Just put orange extract in the "search" under the garden forum and it will come up. It is post #31 I believe. Really interesting information. Here is the name of the thread and I brought it back to the top so it will be sasy to find!
Has anyone seen their first hummingbird of the season? Post #31.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:12 AM

630 posts, read 1,675,497 times
Yeah we bought the nectar from Lowes and haven't seen a single bird. I'll try the sugar and water tonight and see if that is any better.
thanks

Old 08-11-2008, 08:35 AM

40 posts, read 117,784 times
is it too late to go out and buy a feeder? i didnt realize we had any hummers here at the house till i was outside yesterday cleaning my motorcycle and one buzzed right by me and landed on the tree about 5 feet from me!

what is the time length of the season here?

Old 08-11-2008, 08:53 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,392,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstermyer View Post
is it too late to go out and buy a feeder? i didnt realize we had any hummers here at the house till i was outside yesterday cleaning my motorcycle and one buzzed right by me and landed on the tree about 5 feet from me!

what is the time length of the season here?
We've had them as late as October

Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 AM

25 posts, read 79,026 times
One of the things to remember is you must change the nectar every 48 hours when it is this hot. Also if the birds have come to your feeder and the nectar is old, moldy or just seems "off" to them, they will move on and possibly not come back. Try fresh nectar every day and move teh feeder to a new spot.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:53 AM

I was just reading a post regarding the use of orange extract and a good point was brought up that I hadn't even considered. Orange extract contains alcohol. I think I would be a little concerned about adding anything that contained alcohol. Just thought since I had brought this up I should also add this since I just now read about it. Personally I will just stick to sugar water!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:58 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,392,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcharlotte4me View Post
One of the things to remember is you must change the nectar every 48 hours when it is this hot. Also if the birds have come to your feeder and the nectar is old, moldy or just seems "off" to them, they will move on and possibly not come back. Try fresh nectar every day and move teh feeder to a new spot.
Man, that has not been my experience at all! I would never have the time to do this every day or every other day! I wait til they finish what I have made and then make fresh syrup - about every 3 weeks. They don't seem to mind, as they do finish it all and keep coming back for more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte