U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Charlotte: rental, school search, cost of living, high speed internet providers, traffic.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:52 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,153,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastone View Post
We came from NOVA in 1998, it was so congested then and has only gotten worse. Both my husband and I grew up there in the Dale City/Woodbridge area (1970's-1989). Moved to Fredericksburg in 1989 to be able to afford a home. The commute to NOVA killed us, so he took a job down here and wouldn't go back. We still visit family and friends there, love the visiting, but hate the drive up there and driving around up there, it's really busy, no matter what time of day your out.
I wish someone would tell my husband about NOVA. I hope he decides to either put in for the job in NC or we just stay in NM. I keep trying to tell him how much of a toll the commute will make not only on him but on us as a family. We were looking at living in Woodbridge. The only positive is that my husband would leave DC as a GS 14/4 or 5 and we only have to stay 18 months. But still it is something if I can avoid I will. He worked in DC last summer for 90 days but the gov't paid for his detail so he stayed in Pentagon City so his commute was 20 minutes tops. He liked working there but I don't think he fully understands how much he will be gone because of the commute. Unless we stumbled upon a really good deal there is no way we can afford to live any closer than Woodbridge or Manassas. NC just sounds so much better to me. Since you came from NOVA are the people friendlier in NC? I noticed when we were there last summer that people very rarely ever spoke or even made eye contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 05:18 PM

63 posts, read 230,516 times
you couldnt pay me to move back to NOVA, definitely not to hoodbridge or man-a**hole. born and raised in Fall Church and yes the people are much friendlier down here. more sense of community while NOVA is all about "ME" and money! its really is a rat race and i believe that most of the people who "love" it there are not struggling or young people fresh outta college. if you have any specific questions, ask.

check out huntersville here. just north of charlotte, 20 min commute into uptown. much better quality of life for you and your boys.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC2CLT View Post
you couldnt pay me to move back to NOVA, definitely not to hoodbridge or man-a**hole. born and raised in Fall Church and yes the people are much friendlier down here. more sense of community while NOVA is all about "ME" and money! its really is a rat race and i believe that most of the people who "love" it there are not struggling or young people fresh outta college. if you have any specific questions, ask.

check out huntersville here. just north of charlotte, 20 min commute into uptown. much better quality of life for you and your boys.

Do you know if they have any rentals in Huntersville? Until he decides he is staying somewhere for longer than 17 months I am not buying a house so we have to be able to have a rental. If we move this will be our 5th move in 8 yrs. Does anyone know how I could go about finding the address for his work? He will be working for Department of Homeland Security CBP/Deportations. I know there are announcements for jobs in Charlotte, Alamance, Winston-Salem, and Raleigh. Maybe I could get an idea about where to look for housing.

Just from the short time I was in NOVA last summer and then visiting the NOVA forum on here I came away with a feeling of snobbish people. I am more worried about my kids fitting in than me fitting in, I manage to keep occupied but kids don't want to feel unaccepted. Hopefully it will be "NC here we come" instead of NOVA.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,586,358 times
US Homeland Security Department

- maps.google.com
1901 Crossbeam Dr # A, Charlotte - (704) 672-6990
Directions and more

County of Charlotte City of-Mecklenburg: Homeland Security-County

- www.charmeck.nc.us
600 E 4th St # 11, Charlotte - (704) 336-2285
Directions and more

Huntersville home rentals
http://northcarolina.rentalhomesplus.com/Huntersville
http://www.rentalhouses.com/search_results.php?state=NC&city=Huntersville&sear chnew=1 (broken link)

Old 08-12-2008, 05:23 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
I used to love NOVA - 20 years ago, when you could still have a decent commute back to DC and Manassas was just a quiet town w/ a Civil War battlefield. Still love DC, but Fairfax Co, et al . . . it is a rat race. To have a decent lifestyle there, IMO, you need to make $250,000 up. Otherwise, it is just too blame expensive and choices are limited. I guess if you had $500,000 cash to put down on a house in the right area, maybe the commute would not be so bad (and you could make less money and get by). Makes me sad, b/c NOVA used to be a beautiful and desirable place to live.

You need to push your hubby to come to the CLT area. H'ville is a nice community. There are also many other areas in CLT that I think you would like, including S. CLT. and Ballantyne . . . and Matthews is a nice family-oriented place to live.

It is easy to get back to DC from CLT . . . by plane or car. This would be a much easier spot to land, even if only temporarily, than NOVA would be. Traffic alone would make me choose CLT over NOVA.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-12-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
US Homeland Security Department

- maps.google.com
1901 Crossbeam Dr # A, Charlotte - (704) 672-6990
Directions and more

County of Charlotte City of-Mecklenburg: Homeland Security-County

- www.charmeck.nc.us
600 E 4th St # 11, Charlotte - (704) 336-2285
Directions and more

Huntersville home rentals
Rental Homes Huntersville | Homes For Rent Huntersville, North Carolina | Home Rental | Houses for Rent Huntersville
Huntersville Home Rentals, Houses for rent, search homes or Houses for rent in Huntersville (http://www.rentalhouses.com/search_results.php?state=NC&city=Huntersville&sear chnew=1 - broken link)

Thanks for this info. I looked online last night at our website but couldn't find any addresses. This is just so we can kinda start trying to figure out where we want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte