U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Charlotte: rental, school search, cost of living, high speed internet providers, traffic.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:49 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,138,153 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Charlotte, a job will not be an issue and it seems like there is plenty of property rentals there. We live in a small town in NM right now and our lives are pretty much centered around our 3 boys and what they do. We aren't party people, was just wondering if Charlotte sounds like it would be a fit for us? What about schools there, do you have state mandated testing and if you do how do the schools there do? My inlaws live in E TN so it would put my husband close to home and back to where he can see mountains. What are gas prices there? How about an average on utility for about a 2000 sq ft home? Price of a gallon of milk? Who is the internet providers there and about how much for high speed internet? About the closest I have been to Charlotte is Ashville. If these questions have already been asked I apologize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 08:36 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
We are considering moving to Charlotte, a job will not be an issue and it seems like there is plenty of property rentals there. We live in a small town in NM right now and our lives are pretty much centered around our 3 boys and what they do. We aren't party people, was just wondering if Charlotte sounds like it would be a fit for us? What about schools there, do you have state mandated testing and if you do how do the schools there do? My inlaws live in E TN so it would put my husband close to home and back to where he can see mountains. What are gas prices there? How about an average on utility for about a 2000 sq ft home? Price of a gallon of milk? Who is the internet providers there and about how much for high speed internet? About the closest I have been to Charlotte is Ashville. If these questions have already been asked I apologize.
I'll try to give you a few answers

If your job comes with you, then it really won't be an issue. But if you meant you are in some high demand field and you just "know" you'll land a job - do some research before making that assumption - our job market is tight.

Since you live in a small town now, are you ready for living in a big city? That's what Charlotte has become so be sure you are looking for such a big change okay? It is a very nice city, but still a city - which means we have more traffic, crime and social issues than ever before. Charlotte is mostly considered a family oriented town, not fantastic for singles, so a family like yours would find many other families to meet and interact with.

Right now gas is down to $3.80ish - I think that is still too high compared to neighboring states though. Paid $3.89 for milk just the other day. Utilities would depend on whether you get something all electric or something with gas. On a home that size you'd probably want to figure $200-250. a month all electric, more if you guys aren't into conserving, have a hot tub or pool.

Our internet is Road Runner thru Time Warner Cable. Ours just went up to $50. a month - you get a bit of a discount with enhanced cable packages, but we only have basic cable - so the total bill is $63. a month.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,138,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'll try to give you a few answers

If your job comes with you, then it really won't be an issue. But if you meant you are in some high demand field and you just "know" you'll land a job - do some research before making that assumption - our job market is tight.

Since you live in a small town now, are you ready for living in a big city? That's what Charlotte has become so be sure you are looking for such a big change okay? It is a very nice city, but still a city - which means we have more traffic, crime and social issues than ever before. Charlotte is mostly considered a family oriented town, not fantastic for singles, so a family like yours would find many other families to meet and interact with.

Right now gas is down to $3.80ish - I think that is still too high compared to neighboring states though. Paid $3.89 for milk just the other day. Utilities would depend on whether you get something all electric or something with gas. On a home that size you'd probably want to figure $200-250. a month all electric, more if you guys aren't into conserving, have a hot tub or pool.

Our internet is Road Runner thru Time Warner Cable. Ours just went up to $50. a month - you get a bit of a discount with enhanced cable packages, but we only have basic cable - so the total bill is $63. a month.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much. My husband is fed law enforcement so the job comes with us. Internet is alot cheaper there, gas and milk are about the same. Utilities seem alittle cheaper. Considering my other option is to move to NOVA I think I can manage Charlotte as far a being a big city.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Thank you so much. My husband is fed law enforcement so the job comes with us. Internet is alot cheaper there, gas and milk are about the same. Utilities seem alittle cheaper. Considering my other option is to move to NOVA I think I can manage Charlotte as far a being a big city.
I would chose Charlotte over a NOVA in a heartbeat - MUCH more affordable, much more family friendly Let me know if there are other things I can tell you!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:58 PM

228 posts, read 841,874 times
Everyone always asks the same relocation questions but yours were very unique..
I really liked your questions!
As for internet I think I have the step down from loves at $35 a month through Time Warner. It is super quick for me and I never have problems.

I could never, ever live in NOVA. It's a nice area but its definitely pricey and horrible when it comes to traffic. It makes Charlotte traffic look like a joke.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm051 View Post
Everyone always asks the same relocation questions but yours were very unique..
I really liked your questions!
As for internet I think I have the step down from loves at $35 a month through Time Warner. It is super quick for me and I never have problems.

I could never, ever live in NOVA. It's a nice area but its definitely pricey and horrible when it comes to traffic. It makes Charlotte traffic look like a joke.
Just to clarify jmm, that $35. is your internet only, right? If you tell me you are getting Road Runner AND basic cable for that price I need to know about that!

Old 08-10-2008, 09:07 PM

85 posts, read 171,300 times
wheres nova

Old 08-10-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfree79 View Post
wheres nova
Northern Virginia in the D.C. area - you could not pay me a million dollars to live there

Old 08-10-2008, 09:27 PM

228 posts, read 841,874 times
The $35 is just for internet. I am with you Loves, I would need more than a million to be enticed to go up there.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:02 AM

510 posts, read 1,840,166 times
We came from NOVA in 1998, it was so congested then and has only gotten worse. Both my husband and I grew up there in the Dale City/Woodbridge area (1970's-1989). Moved to Fredericksburg in 1989 to be able to afford a home. The commute to NOVA killed us, so he took a job down here and wouldn't go back. We still visit family and friends there, love the visiting, but hate the drive up there and driving around up there, it's really busy, no matter what time of day your out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte