U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 09:01 PM

86 posts, read 171,863 times

Advertisements

I live in Memphis now and have posed these ?'s before, but its getting closer to crunch time i've heard both sides of the story so I have some direct and non direct ?'s.

How safe do you feel. crime rating hasn't been updated for 2yrs on this site so i know Memphis is way higher now but in 06 cha was 600 something and we were 998.5 so i think the comparison is needed but not in the same field.

Can i get a job. i know thats hard to say but i know pc's and hvac- appliance parts. I think i can be ok maybe not what i want but something to get started on anyway. Or is it hopeless to find a job right now no matter what.

And finally in general do you like living here or are you dying to get out like me ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 09:06 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,498,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfree79 View Post
I live in Memphis now and have posed these ?'s before, but its getting closer to crunch time i've heard both sides of the story so I have some direct and non direct ?'s.

How safe do you feel. crime rating hasn't been updated for 2yrs on this site so i know Memphis is way higher now but in 06 cha was 600 something and we were 998.5 so i think the comparison is needed but not in the same field.

Can i get a job. i know thats hard to say but i know pc's and hvac- appliance parts. I think i can be ok maybe not what i want but something to get started on anyway. Or is it hopeless to find a job right now no matter what.

And finally in general do you like living here or are you dying to get out like me ?

Thanks
Good idea to start your own thread, your questions will be better seen that way

In general, the vast majority of folks seem to love living here - it really is a nice city with plenty of things to do and great areas to live. I think the overall attitude of the city is pretty positive.

Like I said on my dm, crime is mostly property crime - random murder and violence is not the norm. Long as you aren't involved in buying/selling drugs or involved with some domestic abuser, you will 99% of the time live a long life in Charlotte. Though I should add, our property crime has gone thru the roof and has ticked many of us off. We have a new police chief who looks to bring many positive changes.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:33 PM

247 posts, read 916,410 times
I'm originally from Memphis and let me assure you crime in Charlotte is nowhere near as bad as Memphis. So no worries there.

As for liking Charlotte, there is a lot to do, the city is clean and well kept (compared to Memphis) and I just love Uptown.

Now as for a job, that's probably going to be tough. There is a lot of competition in the area for work. I would strongly consider finding a job first before moving here.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:47 PM

314 posts, read 1,026,639 times
I've been here for a week and I've yet to be murdered.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:31 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,961,131 times
Charlotte is way safer than Memphis. I used to live in Oxford and went to Memphis most weekends.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:22 AM

797 posts, read 2,983,174 times
I feel WAY safer in Charlotte than in Memphis (my family is orig. from there).

Old 08-11-2008, 07:13 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,135,316 times
Seems other people have weighed in one crime. Might I suggest - as far as a job- that you take off from work for a week - or for as long as you can (several days plus weekend) and apply for jobs here. I would make up my list of possibilities b/f I came - check out the big guys and contractors - make some contacts - see if you can work it out to speak with people, regardless of whether they are advertising or not. If you can find a job during that time, or feel you have good leads for possibilities . . . then you can decide whether to move or not. Just a thought.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:44 AM

755 posts, read 2,244,680 times
I'd be looking at Raleigh - better roads, better schools, more diversified industry, and lower crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte