U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charlotte: culture shock, welcoming newcomers, supreme sacrifice, cheaper housing, good attitude

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:13 PM

21,893 posts, read 27,167,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay193 View Post
We know we are moving off Long Island for the same reasons everyone else is-mainly $$$$...We are considering Lancaster PA or have friends moving to Indian Trail,NC..PA will be more accessable to see family and friends but NC seems to get more home for the money.HUbbs should be able to find work in the surrounding cities of either area.We have been to PA a few times and I like it but don't have "the feel". We will be visiting the Charlotte area soon and we need to make a decision.We have two young kids and know we will be moving but I feel the south may be a bigger culture shock then PA.Im just really confused!
Lancaster or Charlotte???????? I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but having been to both places, I see no possible connection.

If the object of the game with Lancaster was simply to move west of the Philadelphia metro area, you should be looking at Lancaster, York & Hanover and many towns inbetween. You may not be aware of it, but you will be sharing the road with Amish buggies in PA & the law says that those buggies must be respected.

I'm moving soon. I will not be dragging kids with me. I'm being helped by a native & I intend to blend in. You may not have intended to, but you sounded like you don't think much of Southerners or Pennsylvanians.

Last edited by southbound_295; 08-12-2008 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 07:57 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,713,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay193 View Post
We know we are moving off Long Island for the same reasons everyone else is-mainly $$$$...We are considering Lancaster PA or have friends moving to Indian Trail,NC..PA will be more accessable to see family and friends but NC seems to get more home for the money.HUbbs should be able to find work in the surrounding cities of either area.We have been to PA a few times and I like it but don't have "the feel". We will be visiting the Charlotte area soon and we need to make a decision.We have two young kids and know we will be moving but I feel the south may be a bigger culture shock then PA.Im just really confused!
I would suggest that you scrap your plans to move to the Charlotte area. You seem to be plagued with prejudices. Your mind seems to be made up already and it won't really matter how great the area is, you will find fault. Can't believe that people in the north still have stereotypes. All we need is more whinning transplants.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:10 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,861,116 times
I'm trying hard to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. I think she is just trying to gain some additional information about Charlotte while perhaps not realizing that a quickly-written post on a forum could stir up a lot of opinions about what she wrote. She did say that she will be visiting Charlotte soon so at least they aren't fully committed to a relocation site-unseen.

Now that I'm done playing devil's advocate, I will say that I agree with the respondents who have posted before me. Hopefully she will take the advice offered and do as much research and soul-searching as possible before they commit to either moving to PA or NC. This move is a major life event and will require an adjustment on her part as well as on the part of her family. Most of us on this forum have been in her position and I can empathize with her fear of a new locale and wanting to fit in.

To the OP - do your research and talk openly with your family about the reasons why you are considering such a large move. It shouldn't just be about a cheaper mortgage. Make sure your husband has a job lined up with a written offer before you proceed seriously. Talk to your kids and your family in Indian Trail to get a local's perspective of what they can expect in terms of schools, activities and events. If all else fails, take out a legal pad and write out a pros/cons list. Write down everything you can think of, no matter how small or inconsequential it may seem. If the pros outweigh the cons, proceed with caution. If the cons outweigh the pros, perhaps you opt to stay in Long Island or look into other places for your relo.

Come with your eyes and your heart wide open. Yes, things will be different, but that's okay. Embrace it and don't complain about it. If there's something you miss that you just can't get here, you can always take a trip back to LI to fill those cravings (assuming they're food related ). Think of it as a learning experience and one of life's greatest adventures. I think you'll be just fine, and you might even surprise yourself by falling in love with NC. Wouldn't that be a great thing?

Best of luck with your decision.

Last edited by ctribucher; 08-15-2008 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: fix typos

Old 08-15-2008, 10:24 AM

743 posts, read 2,025,072 times
I am sorry but having lived in Hanover PA and Indian Trail NC, it is definately day and night. No comparisons whatsoever. I agree that you have to want to live here for the quality of life and accept the area for how it is. You cannot make it the way you want, nor can you make it the way "it was in LI". However, in PA, you are still closer to LI and definately a lot of others making the move to Lancaster/Hanover/Northern MD from LI/NJ because it is cheaper living there as compared to LI. You may want to consider those areas as it would not be so much of a "culture" shock.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:12 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,673,544 times
I think that we all do ourselves a injustice in looking at any particular state as a "monolith" of stereotypes. Within every state, are areas that may have very little in common with the general perception of the state as a whole. The Charlotte area is a large metropolitan area with a diverse collection of people that might view areas of Eastern North Carolina as being almost "other-worldly" compared to what its inhabitants are used to. Watch sparks fly, as even citizens of Raleigh and Charlotte debate their own area's pluses and minuses!

Just the other day, I was on the NJ CD forum and I came across a thread about Oxford NJ, in the northeast part of the state. It had an picture from the 80's with a bunch of people from the Klan in their white robes standing in front of the "Welcome to Oxford" sign. I'm sure most folks from NC and Newark NJ, might be a bit taken aback to see something like that in NJ, but it's there, and probably still is!

No matter where you're from, moving from a rural area to a city and vice-versa is a cultural shock, even within the same state. Cultural Shock is lessened if you move from city to city or a rural area of one state to another, even if the food and accents are different. But learn to enjoy and appreciate those differences and you'll be fine!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 08-15-2008 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 08-15-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
I am sorry but having lived in Hanover PA and Indian Trail NC, it is definately day and night. No comparisons whatsoever. I agree that you have to want to live here for the quality of life and accept the area for how it is. You cannot make it the way you want, nor can you make it the way "it was in LI". However, in PA, you are still closer to LI and definately a lot of others making the move to Lancaster/Hanover/Northern MD from LI/NJ because it is cheaper living there as compared to LI. You may want to consider those areas as it would not be so much of a "culture" shock.
My thoughts precisely, MD to NC. Having worked in Owings Mills & lived in Reisterstown & Finksburg for 3 years, I'm familiar that you have to look at that whole area in PA as a unit. I thought that including Gettysburg wouldn't be helpful to the OP since it's a much sleepier little town that the eastern cities.

In my suburban area in South Jersey, we had a huge influx from Long Isand when a train line opened up to Trenton that lets them commute to NYC. They came with the attitude that was in the orignal post. They hate it here & they hate us. You get it really clearly when the strangers w/LI accents verbally assault you & the area in the stores. This is only 100 miles from NY, but a world away to live here.

I've been a transplant here for over 40 years. I acclimated & I've been happy. It's not working for me any more, so I'm moving, I'll acclimate & will be just as happy. If I miss something, my best friend & her husband are moving to Delaware. They've told me there will always be a room for me.

I hope that the OP finds a place where she can be happy, but with the dissimilarity between Lancaster PA & Charlotte, I think that she needs to think it over.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:24 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,673,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
My thoughts precisely, MD to NC. Having worked in Owings Mills & lived in Reisterstown & Finksburg for 3 years, I'm familiar that you have to look at that whole area in PA as a unit. I thought that including Gettysburg wouldn't be helpful to the OP since it's a much sleepier little town that the eastern cities.

In my suburban area in South Jersey, we had a huge influx from Long Isand when a train line opened up to Trenton that lets them commute to NYC. They came with the attitude that was in the orignal post. They hate it here & they hate us. You get it really clearly when the strangers w/LI accents verbally assault you & the area in the stores. This is only 100 miles from NY, but a world away to live here.

I've been a transplant here for over 40 years. I acclimated & I've been happy. It's not working for me any more, so I'm moving, I'll acclimate & will be just as happy. If I miss something, my best friend & her husband are moving to Delaware. They've told me there will always be a room for me.

I hope that the OP finds a place where she can be happy, but with the dissimilarity between Lancaster PA & Charlotte, I think that she needs to think it over.
southbound_295 - A large part of that attitude is the "New York City" vs "Philadelphia" battle that has been waged in New Jersey for the last 300 years!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
southbound_295 - A large part of that attitude is the "New York City" vs "Philadelphia" battle that has been waged in New Jersey for the last 300 years!
I know Emissary, but yet they moved here I can't tell you how many times over the years that New Yorkers have told me that Philly is the gateway to the south & on this side of the river we're all farmers.

My point was that she was showing that exact attitude. With it, she will surely be unhappy here, Lancaster, Charlotte, or wherever..

Lancaster PA vs Charlotte just baffles me. If she said Philly vs Charlotte it would have made more sense.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:01 PM

7,107 posts, read 9,705,958 times
As a home owner in CLT and NYC I think you should move to PA. You'll be much happier there. From what you have written it's a NO BRAINER (decision)

Best of luck
j

Old 08-15-2008, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 9,505 times
If you are not ready to embrace the better quality of life in clt you shouldn't move here. The Charlotte area is very family oriented. We have a lot of former LIers here but this is not LI, thankfully!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or