U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 03:14 PM

14 posts, read 73,875 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a Lennar home in Fort Mill SC. They seem to give you a lot for your money. I noticed that they got the lowest JD Power rating on the board and that has me concerned. Does anyone have any expereinces with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 03:24 PM

75 posts, read 297,052 times
The low rating could be because Lennar doesn't do upgrades and is very rigid about making any changes. Yes, it looks as though they give you a lot for your money, but if you want a stainless steel refridgerator instead of a black one, you have to get it on your own. If you want a gas stove, you have to wait until after your house is built, then have it done yourself (which means tearing everything up, running a gas line, getting rid of your electric stove, buying a gas range, etc). From what I know, the quality of the house you get is good, but they're not at all flexible with what goes into the house. Everything you see in the models is standard- NO upgrades!

Old 01-28-2007, 04:33 PM

249 posts, read 798,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janhetman View Post
The low rating could be because Lennar doesn't do upgrades and is very rigid about making any changes. Yes, it looks as though they give you a lot for your money, but if you want a stainless steel refridgerator instead of a black one, you have to get it on your own. If you want a gas stove, you have to wait until after your house is built, then have it done yourself (which means tearing everything up, running a gas line, getting rid of your electric stove, buying a gas range, etc). From what I know, the quality of the house you get is good, but they're not at all flexible with what goes into the house. Everything you see in the models is standard- NO upgrades!
I agree with everything above, we looked at the lennar homes in Regent Park in ft mill. *Side note, there is another thread about regent park and some of the odd things about it but that's another topic.

But back to your post, the plus side is every house has the same level of amenities... no homes done on the cheap. Now the negative that kept us from buying a lennar home is that every home has the EXACT same things... door handles, light fixtures, carpet, kitchen etc. You get some good bang for your buck because its cheaper and easier for them to build all the homes with one set of materials but for the price level we just had to be able to have some choices. That it the best part of building from scratch IMO.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:50 PM

3,356 posts, read 8,877,935 times
I know someone who owns a lennar house, told us they would never buy Lennar again, and to steer clear.

After sales customer service is apparently completely non-existent

Old 01-28-2007, 05:24 PM

549 posts, read 2,189,525 times
I would also steer clear of McCar and Beazer homes as well.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:33 PM

3,356 posts, read 8,877,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post
I would also steer clear of McCar and Beazer homes as well.

Never been in a McCar home so cannot comment.

Beazer homes was the biggest shock, saw some construction issues with the model, so asked to see a house soon to close.

I was in double figures counting the errors, never even bothered with upstairs oh and the wife spotted some that I did not.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:02 PM

14 posts, read 73,875 times
Thanks for the response. I don't need to have a lot of options, i just wanted to make sure that the house is not going to be very poorly built.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:09 AM

93 posts, read 365,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman19 View Post
I am considering buying a Lennar home in Fort Mill SC. They seem to give you a lot for your money. I noticed that they got the lowest JD Power rating on the board and that has me concerned. Does anyone have any expereinces with them?

My first home was a Lennar home in Phoenix, Arizona. I had issues with my home, but, they were nothing compared to the issues in my current McCar home. However, I have to agree with a previous post about upgrades. They offer practically nothing. So, you need to weigh what's important to you if you're considering a Lennar purchase. I will say, as it appears with most builders, they will drag their feet when it comes to rectifying problems. But, here's how I resolved mine. I got legal counsel. I sent a letter stating I was contacting the Registrar of Builders (in Arizona) regarding their lack of concern over my problems. I was immediately contacted and Julias Vellutato contacted me. At this point, I had been in my home over 3 years. They graciously repaired EVERYTHING, and then some, on my home. Additionally, at year 8 in our home, I still had a reoccuring problem with settling. Lennar came through with shining colors! They came out and repaired my walls and patio AGAIN and repainted! (this required texturing walls, drywall repair, and paint) After living there 8 years!! So, I have to give my thumbs up to Lennar on customer service and satisfaction. They may lack in the upgrade department...but...you weigh what's important. Best of luck!

Old 04-02-2007, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 20,009 times
Thank you for posting this. I am considering buying a Lennar townhouse & this information is really useful.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:43 AM

93 posts, read 365,442 times
So I guess you get what you pay for and since your home is one of the biggest investments of your life, it is prudent to buy quality at a slightly higher cost.

AGREE with you there!!! Boy, did we learn that the hard way!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte