U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:18 PM

737 posts, read 1,871,641 times

Advertisements

Today was our first Winter day since moving from SoFla, and we were glad to have a wood burning fireplace. OK, we didnt actually use it, though we did turn off the AC and even the ceiling fan tonight. The question is, what is the most cost efficient method of buying firewood; and when do we stock up? I'm no lumberjack, so that is not an option. Are there delivery services, or do we just buy from HT and Lowes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 07:31 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,302,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
Today was our first Winter day since moving from SoFla, and we were glad to have a wood burning fireplace. OK, we didnt actually use it, though we did turn off the AC and even the ceiling fan tonight. The question is, what is the most cost efficient method of buying firewood; and when do we stock up? I'm no lumberjack, so that is not an option. Are there delivery services, or do we just buy from HT and Lowes?
Buying at HT and Lowes is about the least cost efficient method I could think of!! I know there is a person who sells firewood on Mallard Creek Church Rd, just past the Mallard and Mallard intersection.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 PM

14,115 posts, read 20,811,787 times
Mike, it wasn' that cold!! Come on now from one Miamian to another. I'm sure tons of people sell firewood up here. Look for the small signs or just ask around..I'm really looking forward to nice cold weather

Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Buying at HT and Lowes is about the least cost efficient method I could think of!! I know there is a person who sells firewood on Mallard Creek Church Rd, just past the Mallard and Mallard intersection.
Yea, I figured their were cheaper ways than groceries. Will I see people selling it on the road, or is it a case of buying once and stocking up??? (kinda like we did with water for Cane season back in SoFla)...

Old 08-13-2008, 07:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,460,862 times
Do you have a storage shed or garage space you could use. I would store in there and stock up for the season while firewood is not in demand.
I would suggest the shed first due to critters that like to live in rotting wood.
Storing outside is not a recommended option due to more wood living critters and nothing bites more than trying to get wet wood to burn.

Recommindations above seem good but pay attention to your surroundings where would be sold from homes with wooded lots etc. Just shop around and stock up for the following seasons. Try craigslist and the classifieds to find home grown wood.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Mike, it wasn' that cold!! Come on now from one Miamian to another. I'm sure tons of people sell firewood up here. Look for the small signs or just ask around..I'm really looking forward to nice cold weather
Yea, that was my sarcasm coming out. It was AWESOME to have the windows open in AUGUST and have my wife ask me to turn off the ceiling fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I cant wait either, I just hope we wont be paying a fortune for the gas heater to keep warm. I know the hardwoods retain the cold a lot more than we are used to walking on, so it will be slippers for the 3 of us!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:42 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,302,772 times
Quote:
Yea, that was my sarcasm coming out. It was AWESOME to have the windows open in AUGUST and have my wife ask me to turn off the ceiling fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I cant wait either, I just hope we wont be paying a fortune for the gas heater to keep warm. I know the hardwoods retain the cold a lot more than we are used to walking on, so it will be slippers for the 3 of us!
Gas really isnt that terrible here. If you're really worried about it, go on Piedmont's balanced billing. Ours was $77/mo to heat 2500 square feet. A small store of wood would be handy for the ever-possible ice related outage.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,460,862 times
I have total respect for you adjusting to the weather changes and this is odd weather for North Carolina in August. It is usually piping hot but you just never know about weather in this state cold this week and probably steaming next and the same thing can be said for most other seasons.
Buy your wife one of these http://electricheater.ca/images/delo...w6507l-3215965
they work great, make no noise, and turn off if tipped over. however it slow heat not instant gratification.

You might want to shop around for area rugs or runners. I cant stand cold feet.
The mountains are a popular spot for floridians but Im sure there is complaining floridians once winter hits.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I have total respect for you adjusting to the weather changes and this is odd weather for North Carolina in August. It is usually piping hot but you just never know about weather in this state cold this week and probably steaming next and the same thing can be said for most other seasons.
Buy your wife one of these http://electricheater.ca/images/delo...w6507l-3215965
they work great, make no noise, and turn off if tipped over. however it slow heat not instant gratification.

You might want to shop around for area rugs or runners. I cant stand cold feet.
The mountains are a popular spot for floridians but Im sure there is complaining floridians once winter hits.
Whats funny is that she is from NY, I am the Southern boy! We havent bought any rugs yet, but we will start shopping for them soon.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:24 PM

822 posts, read 2,539,900 times
Quote:
I loved it...the rain, the cool breeze. A nice change of pace. Supposed to warm back up, so back to normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte