U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:01 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,674,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Good for you You have a calling for this and I bet your students are extremely lucky to have you! I know you aren't getting rich, but thanks for verifying that you aren't starving either. Would you ever consider living in other states where taxes are extremely high just to get a better salary?
loves - Good teachers are a true gift! How many of us have had a special teacher that made a real difference in our life!

I think it's nearly impossible for a teacher to go from a lower-pay state to a higher-pay state without a spouse that makes big bucks. If you were a teacher making $50,000 in NC with 10 years experience, would it make good economic sense to move to NJ where you might earn $80,000 and then face the prospect of a house that costs three times as much to duplicate what you have here, and taxes that are four times what you pay here? I doubt there would be many takers. It's much easier to go from a high-cost place to a low-cost place than vice-versa. For most, it's a one-way trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 07:07 PM

157 posts, read 213,235 times
I don't think you guys understand, if you treat teachers really well and pay them well they will stay here and spend their entire career here. There aren't enough math, science, social studies, foreign language teachers here in NC because NC doesn't pay them enough so they go to other states that pay alot more. There is a teacher shortage in NC and NC will continue to have that problem because the teachers that you do have will quit in a couple of years. The cost of living in North Carolina is just as high as anywhere else in this country. It is a "myth" that the cost of living in NC is cheaper, it is not cheaper..

Last edited by icartp; 08-13-2008 at 07:23 PM..

Old 08-13-2008, 07:22 PM

157 posts, read 213,235 times
Go to the CMS website, I think there is about 10 vacancies for math teachers, and those will probably be filled the very last minute by "newbies" who will not be able to handle the pressure and they will quit

Old 08-13-2008, 08:24 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
loves - Good teachers are a true gift! How many of us have had a special teacher that made a real difference in our life!

I think it's nearly impossible for a teacher to go from a lower-pay state to a higher-pay state without a spouse that makes big bucks. If you were a teacher making $50,000 in NC with 10 years experience, would it make good economic sense to move to NJ where you might earn $80,000 and then face the prospect of a house that costs three times as much to duplicate what you have here, and taxes that are four times what you pay here? I doubt there would be many takers. It's much easier to go from a high-cost place to a low-cost place than vice-versa. For most, it's a one-way trip!
Excellent point Em

Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:

And you know, I had some great teachers in my life -many more good than bad. But my kids have had some even better ones here in Charlotte. I will never ever forget one 4th grade teacher my son had, just the most gifted teacher I have ever met. Because of him my son learned to LOVE reading, among so many other things. Luckily for some in Charlotte he is still around, and continuing to positively impact every child he comes in contact with no doubt

Old 08-13-2008, 09:05 PM

7,929 posts, read 17,766,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icartp View Post
I don't think you guys understand, if you treat teachers really well and pay them well they will stay here and spend their entire career here. There aren't enough math, science, social studies, foreign language teachers here in NC because NC doesn't pay them enough so they go to other states that pay alot more. There is a teacher shortage in NC and NC will continue to have that problem because the teachers that you do have will quit in a couple of years. The cost of living in North Carolina is just as high as anywhere else in this country. It is a "myth" that the cost of living in NC is cheaper, it is not cheaper..

I do have to disagree to a point, it is less expensive than where we came from in NJ, our expenses were cut in half...however there are things that are more expensive and by no way is it CHEAP here, but housing is less property taxes, car and home insurance are extremely less since NJ has the highest rates in the country besides NY.....now as far as teachers I agree..there was just an article in the charlotte paper under the union county section where we are one of the best in the state as far as school districts....I dont know what it is like for CMS, as my children dont attend those schools...I do agree the teachers are no way compensated propertly and they are underpaid however, compared to the North you can live on less here than you can up there...

Old 08-13-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
I do have to disagree to a point, it is less expensive than where we came from in NJ, our expenses were cut in half...however there are things that are more expensive and by no way is it CHEAP here, but housing is less property taxes, car and home insurance are extremely less since NJ has the highest rates in the country besides NY.....now as far as teachers I agree..there was just an article in the charlotte paper under the union county section where we are one of the best in the state as far as school districts....I dont know what it is like for CMS, as my children dont attend those schools...I do agree the teachers are no way compensated propertly and they are underpaid however, compared to the North you can live on less here than you can up there...
Thanks for adding your 2 cents Since you came NJ you should know the truth about living here versus living there money-wise.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:24 PM

7,929 posts, read 17,766,482 times
Quote:
Thanks for adding your 2 cents Since you came NJ you should know the truth about living here versus living there money-wise.
I sure do my friend....and let me add, there are 2 teachers Ive met from Marvin Ridge Middle who teach here and they are both from NY, city limits, and they love teaching here compared to back in NY...it was a salary shock since they both teach math, but like they said they have a really nice house for a fraction of what they would have and obviously live within their means...

Old 08-13-2008, 09:24 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,674,395 times
Quote:
And you know, I had some great teachers in my life -many more good than bad. But my kids have had some even better ones here in Charlotte. I will never ever forget one 4th grade teacher my son had, just the most gifted teacher I have ever met. Because of him my son learned to LOVE reading, among so many other things. Luckily for some in Charlotte he is still around, and continuing to positively impact every child he comes in contact with no doubt
Any teacher that can instill a love of reading in a child qualifies for "sainthood" in my book. Reading is becoming a "lost art" for many kids, paradoxically so, in an age where information is so readily available. "Cut and paste" has replaced comprehension. Sometimes the old methods were better!

Old 08-14-2008, 07:48 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,155,502 times
Well, see, now you have me needing to add that so much of teacher creativity has been squelched by NCLB. I am not anti NCLB overall as a principal (getting all schools on the same level and such), but many teachers have had to stop doing things the way that "worked" for their kids and are limited to the standards that NCLB dictates.

I just watched the Oprah special on Failing Schools. Very eye opening.

Dawn

Quote:
Any teacher that can instill a love of reading in a child qualifies for "sainthood" in my book. Reading is becoming a "lost art" for many kids, paradoxically so, in an age where information is so readily available. "Cut and paste" has replaced comprehension. Sometimes the old methods were better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or