U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:07 AM

35,888 posts, read 60,181,433 times

Advertisements

Spent all day yesterday trying to buy a used car f/ a mechanic in SC. DS was in wreck and cheaper to replace his car than fix the one he wrecked, plus the replacement car gets 2 x gas mileage than present vehicle. Will fix wrecked car later, but DS needs immediate transportation (commuting to college).

Transaction from hell b/c seller wanted to sell different vehicle. Private seller. Got vehicle I wanted (at price I wanted) but it literally took six hours.

Returned to NC late last nite. Do not have title to vehicle b/c seller said he would mail it (gave me copy) once my check cleared. Dear me. Never thought about that hold-up.

Car has temp tag. Got home and realized no one had said a word about car insurance. ????

Son needs to take car back to college in different county. Needs to leave today!

What the heck am I dealing with? I have never been involved in this type of transaction.

What do I do about insurance on the car? How do I register it? Remember - no title in hand (only copy).

Woke up this morning totally confused who to call, what to do.

Insurance is first concern.

Anyone experienced w/ this type of situation, please advise! Very stressed out mom!!!!!!

Last edited by brokensky; 08-14-2008 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 07:36 AM

777 posts, read 2,080,120 times
Well since you aren't "transfering" insurance from one car to another, I think you need to call your insurance company asap and have the car added asap. You should be able to get the insurance with just a copy of the title.

For the future...you should do these transactions with a bank check so you don't have to worry about the check "clearing".

Old 08-14-2008, 08:01 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,012,138 times
sounds like you were under some pressure and time constraints and didn't get a chance to plan for a bunch of things.....left sale of used car w/out title? ouch. no insurance? ouch. tough spot ur in ani.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:33 AM

677 posts, read 1,886,426 times
Ani,

I have been in similar situations. I've bought a used car from a private party where the title could not be released until the loan was paid off, and the bank actually had the title. So, get the title and make sure that the bank signs it over to you.

The insurance should be easy, at least my agent made it easy. I called him when I took delivery and he told me that I had like a 3-4 day grace period before I had to add it to my policy. Hopefully this is the same for you.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:34 AM

I feel like an idiot. I had no idea he would not give me the title.

InSouthPark: you are so right. However, when we had talked on the phone, he said he wanted me to come see a car he was not listing yet . . . cause he thought I would like it better - so I didn't know the final total. I knew the final total for the other vehicle I had looked at so had the cash for that one. Then had to pay a bit more by check.

Yes, I feel stupid.

All I should do is call the insurance co? What the heck do I do about a proper tag? Just get insurance coverage and then when I get the title in hand, go register the vehicle properly? I know I am sounding totally ignorant, but this has confused me. Seems backwards and somehow - illegal or risky.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:50 AM

677 posts, read 1,886,426 times
To get the vehicle registered, you'll need proof of insurance as well as the title, both in hand at the tag office. So you'll need to call your insurance company and get the vehicle added to your policy and request proof of insurance be immediately sent to you. When the title is signed over in your name just take it to the tag office and you're good to go.

Why didn't he have the title with him on site?

Old 08-14-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
To get the vehicle registered, you'll need proof of insurance as well as the title, both in hand at the tag office. So you'll need to call your insurance company and get the vehicle added to your policy and request proof of insurance be immediately sent to you. When the title is signed over in your name just take it to the tag office and you're good to go.

Why didn't he have the title with him on site?
Thanx so much for the good info! He did have title; made me a copy; just wouldn't give it to me, as he said he had to see my check clear first. So that threw me off. I thought I should be signing a title on the spot. ?????

I can call my insurance company and will do that shortly. Just hate to sound like a total fool when I called them. Needed to understand what I was dealing with. I seriously doubt I will have that title in 4 or so days. I am going to call and tell him I will pay to have it FedExed.

So what I figured is the situation I am in . . . no way to get a tag (obviously) til I have that title in hand. But I can call insurance company and give them VIN # etc b/c I have the copy of the title.

Thank you so much for holding my hand a bit, Mr. CT!!!!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:58 AM

795 posts, read 3,452,069 times
ani -- will you post back and let us know what happens? curious about how this works out...

(also, don't beat yourself up. privates sales can be complicated...you just got thrown into something you weren't expecting and didn't know the rules for...could happen to any of us.)

Old 08-14-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
ani -- will you post back and let us know what happens? curious about how this works out...

(also, don't beat yourself up. privates sales can be complicated...you just got thrown into something you weren't expecting and didn't know the rules for...could happen to any of us.)
Hey, Barndog! Awww - you would try to make me feel better!!!! I do appreciate it!!! However, I feel pretty dumb that at this stage of my life, I am so clueless about a car transfer. I have only bought one car in the past that was from a direct seller. All the rest were from car dealers on a lot. That one transaction was so easy. We only lived 11 miles apart . . . brought my cash . . . he gave me the title and the keys . . . called my insurance company, had car added to policy, went to DMV the next day, got my tag.

Now this would not be that different a situation. I would just let the car sit until I had it registered properly and tag on it. But my DS has to drive the car today . . . w/ the temp tag on it . . . and he will have to drive it that way until I get the title in hand and a proper tag on it. Surely I will have the tag w/in the week!!!! I just don't know how the highway patrol feels about seeing paper temp tags. Seems like that would be a good reason to pull a young man over. I don't want to be putting my son in a situation w/o all the proper documentation and everything in order.

However, the engine light on my main car came on last nite while driving back from SC, and remained on, so I am taking it to the dealership today. And my other car, my beloved but ancient Benz, is out of commission . . . it won't accelerate properly and has to go to the shop . . . so I don't have a car to send my son back to school with except this one we just purchased. He works tomorrow so he has to leave today. Yes, the story gets better and better.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:43 AM

Report so far: added the car to my insurance policy, no problem. Put in call to seller requesting he send title via FedEx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte