U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:07 AM

624 posts, read 1,888,913 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I've got a friend that really likes pieces of Blown Glass - either for viewing or for purchase.

Are there any places around Charlotte or even Raleigh, that you can go and see a bunch of pieces of blown glass? I haven't had a chance to make it to the Mint Museum, but do they have that sort of thing?

I'd absolutely love if I could find a place where you can actually watch an artist do it, just sorta fascinated by the process and care that has to be taken...any recommendations are greatly appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 04:21 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,781,243 times
Since no one has answered, maybe you could call one of the museums in town and ask who has a glass collection. Or look in the yellow pages for glass studios. Good luck!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:57 PM

21,874 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
Hi, all. I've got a friend that really likes pieces of Blown Glass - either for viewing or for purchase.

Are there any places around Charlotte or even Raleigh, that you can go and see a bunch of pieces of blown glass? I haven't had a chance to make it to the Mint Museum, but do they have that sort of thing?

I'd absolutely love if I could find a place where you can actually watch an artist do it, just sorta fascinated by the process and care that has to be taken...any recommendations are greatly appreciated, thanks.
Glassblowers need lots of sand. They should be primarily located in an area where they can easily get sand.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:11 PM

624 posts, read 1,888,913 times
Thanks for the post. I know it's not really a common thing to have around. I think I'll expand my search down maybe around Charleston or something closer to the coast. Last time I saw someone blow glass was in a little store in Boulder Colorado by this guy that just loved to do it and didn't mind the hassle. Thanks again.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:17 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,867,664 times
Default Glass Impressions in Waxhaw

I have seen someone locally demonstrating glass blowing at a festival. I think it was in Waxhaw. I found this link to a glass blower in Waxhaw. Maybe this will help...

Glass Impressions Student Courses

You might enjoy just browsing around in Waxhaw. There are a lot of artist types in town. Check out Stewarts Village Gallery, Eight Legs Gallery and Waxhaw Arts & Chocolate.

Last edited by marvinnative; 08-15-2008 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-15-2008, 07:23 PM

21,874 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
Thanks for the post. I know it's not really a common thing to have around. I think I'll expand my search down maybe around Charleston or something closer to the coast. Last time I saw someone blow glass was in a little store in Boulder Colorado by this guy that just loved to do it and didn't mind the hassle. Thanks again.
You're welcome. Try posting the request on the North Carolina board & the South Carolina board. As two of the original colonies, there probably is a traditional area for glassblowing in each state. Asking state-wide in both states will get you the best results.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:39 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,867,664 times
Default A List of Glassblowers Nationwide

I found this link and it looks that you would find glass blowers in the mountain areas of NC/SC - try around Asheville:

Steinert Industries - Instructor & School Listings

Last edited by marvinnative; 08-15-2008 at 07:49 PM..

Old 08-16-2008, 12:55 PM

716 posts, read 1,906,663 times
The Mint Museum uptown usually has quite a bit of Dale Chihuly.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:10 PM

7,105 posts, read 9,699,824 times
Default try this

Glassblower.Info - Glassblowing Information, Photos, Videos

Old 11-03-2008, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 11,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Glassblowers need lots of sand. They should be primarily located in an area where they can easily get sand.
Glass blowers buy cullet in the form of 'glass chunks' and melt it down in their furnace. Or lampworkers, like me, buy tubes and rods of premade borosilicate glass (like pyrex) and manipulate them in a flame. Only the manufacturers of the cullet or tubes and rods need to have access to large quantities of sand. Therefore glassblowers can be found all across America and all over the world.

I don't know of an open studio in that area, but being in the age of internet, you can go to youtube and find thousands of videos of people blowing glass. I would invite you to watch what I do, but I'm thinking Naples, FL may be a bit far to travel. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte