U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 11:24 AM

314 posts, read 1,025,053 times

Advertisements

I know the bypass isn't planned to pass through the neighborhood, but does anyone have any theories as to how it will affect the neighborhood, whether positive or negative. It will probably pass within a mile of the neighborhood.
Any thoughts on if it will increase value, decrease value, not affect value?
Any thoughts on whether or not it will bring in the riff raff, so to speak?

I'm looking to build there soon (as soon as my house sells in St. Louis), and I just wondered how this bypass is going to affect it.

Thanks,
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 11:32 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,546,369 times
Here is the current status of the project, as well as a map showing the possibilities for the bypass.

North Carolina Turnpike Authority: Monroe Connector/Bypass

It seems it will be closer to Idlewild/Secrest Shortcut Road, but the exact route has not been finalized yet.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:19 PM

364 posts, read 1,042,391 times
I heard that that area is not being considered anymore, is this incorrect?

Old 08-17-2008, 08:28 PM

743 posts, read 2,024,366 times
It will still be in the area just the EXACT route has not been decided, or at least revealed. But it will still be around the vicinity of Secrest Shortcut Rd/Bonterra/Poplin Rd area which includes Fieldstone Farm, just not right beside it. But will be within a mile or two.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:05 AM

70 posts, read 174,579 times
It will probably make the neighborhood more desirable for commuters. Far enough away not to be impacted by traffic noise unlike (probably) Bonterra and Lake Park. I wouldn't buy in either of those places right now.
The bypass has been on the drawing board for so long, when the final plan is rolled out I'm sure there will be enough shouting coming out of Bonterra & Lake Park to bring the house down probably resulting in further delays.

From what I've seen, there is nothing wrong with 74 that properly timed lights and a couple of overpasses couldn't fix.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:11 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,303,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudnk View Post
It will probably make the neighborhood more desirable for commuters. Far enough away not to be impacted by traffic noise unlike (probably) Bonterra and Lake Park. I wouldn't buy in either of those places right now.
The bypass has been on the drawing board for so long, when the final plan is rolled out I'm sure there will be enough shouting coming out of Bonterra & Lake Park to bring the house down probably resulting in further delays.

From what I've seen, there is nothing wrong with 74 that properly timed lights and a couple of overpasses couldn't fix.
Timed lights?? Now there's a concept!! If you can get your powers-that-be to figure out that concept, how about having them educate the brain trusts here in Charlotte? Seriously, Ive never seen a road system where the lights aren't coordinated to speed up traffic (try driving Harris Blvd during rush hour)!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:48 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,668,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudnk View Post

I'm quite in agreement with the concept of computerized traffic lights and overpasses. There would be no need for the bypass at all, if overpasses were built and the traffic lights eliminated. I find that even during the day, it takes me a half hour to go 12 miles from my house in Monroe to the Costco on 51. This is a major waste of time and gasoline! The money to be spent on the Monroe Bypass would more than cover the costs of up-grading 74 to make it into a more efficient highway.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,640 times
This happened in Greensboro near my parents house (South Elm Eugene St.), its has pros and cons, Pros: Faster Commute, stimulated economy near on/off ramps(ie. Walmart, Lowes, Target, etc.) it creates a lot of new retail establishments. Cons: it also brought many cheap home builders to the area which built cheap affordable housing which is 100% Ghetto!!! What once was a peaceful area on the outskirts of the city is now filled with retail and GHETTO, to the point where you dont really want to go to the Walmart to shop because its so Ghetto. To the point where you cant shop at Walmart without finding half eaten CHICKEN BONES from the deli department scattered amongst the clothing and floors. Its ridiculous.....Yes the faster commute is nice, but i believe in neighborhoods like yours it creates more bad than good for the people who live there already.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:33 AM

32 posts, read 101,994 times
Then try taking a look in Euope, is pretty common there I know as i used to live there for +30 yrs. ANYTHING can be done, but as most things it needs $ and an instigator that stays on top of things in order to get the cooperation of all involved. Anyways, as a future FF resident , I wouldn't mind a faster commute to Charleston, as that is where I work, (off Sardis / monroe rd.) Thanks for the LINK I am looking at the page/picture now.... interesting....

Last edited by Ameridutchman; 07-18-2010 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte