U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 08:55 AM

21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times

Advertisements

Half of my towels were purchased "by the pound" at a mill store.

Are there still mill stores selling (super cheap) linens in the Charlotte area or within a reasonable drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 09:29 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Sadly, SB, I just don't know of any more. I, too, used to buy all sorts of linens by the pound, at many different mill outlets in several counties. The mills are shut now, so no more outlets. I used to get Ralph Lauren, Gloria Vanderbilt, Sanderson, Collier Campbell, Liz Claiborne, etc. at ungodly low prices. And not just towels. Comforters, duvets, designer pillows, etc. Those days are gone.

Back in the 80s, I even got hotel linens - especially gorgeous Hilton linens - that were seconds - at a factory in Hickory (five colors of very large, thick linen napkins and tablecloths!!!! by the pound!!!) I have used those napkins and tablecloths for years. Of course, when I was out in Kansas, someone asked me how I had managed to "rip off" so many hotel linens. I had never thought about the H on the center being recognized for Hilton hotels (since my family initial is H) LOL. I thought no one would recognize the stuff!!!!

But no . . . those days are gone. DH tells me there is one outlet left that he discovered when doing some business travel - I think maybe around Elkin??? I will see if I can find out more about this. Heck, it may be gone now, too.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sadly, SB, I just don't know of any more. I, too, used to buy all sorts of linens by the pound, at many different mill outlets in several counties. The mills are shut now, so no more outlets. I used to get Ralph Lauren, Gloria Vanderbilt, Sanderson, Collier Campbell, Liz Claiborne, etc. at ungodly low prices. And not just towels. Comforters, duvets, designer pillows, etc. Those days are gone.

Back in the 80s, I even got hotel linens - especially gorgeous Hilton linens - that were seconds - at a factory in Hickory (five colors of very large, thick linen napkins and tablecloths!!!! by the pound!!!) I have used those napkins and tablecloths for years. Of course, when I was out in Kansas, someone asked me how I had managed to "rip off" so many hotel linens. I had never thought about the H on the center being recognized for Hilton hotels (since my family initial is H) LOL. I thought no one would recognize the stuff!!!!

But no . . . those days are gone. DH tells me there is one outlet left that he discovered when doing some business travel - I think maybe around Elkin??? I will see if I can find out more about this. Heck, it may be gone now, too.
LOL, Thank You, Ani!!!!!!!

You knew just what was on my mind. I bought name brand towels but also picked up a couple of Ralph Lauren bath sheets at an ungodly good price!!!!

I'm not one for buying junk just to have something, & won't be needing linens immediately, but they also make great gifts.

Please thank your dh. When I lock in on a price for my house I'll be making a quick run down to lock in a house. I'll keep my eyes open for those old familiar "Towels by the pound" signs, & this time take note of where they are.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:15 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, Thank You, Ani!!!!!!!

You knew just what was on my mind. I bought name brand towels but also picked up a couple of Ralph Lauren bath sheets at an ungodly good price!!!!

I'm not one for buying junk just to have something, & won't be needing linens immediately, but they also make great gifts.

Please thank your dh. When I lock in on a price for my house I'll be making a quick run down to lock in a house. I'll keep my eyes open for those old familiar "Towels by the pound" signs, & this time take note of where they are.
Well, I will see what I can put together. There used to be a lingerie (PJs, robes, etc) outlet up near Boone. I once had this amazing list of factories and mills (often tucked away in rickety old factory buildings) - where I could get amazing deals on brand name products. I truly am sad these places are gone, b/c when they closed, that meant not only that I no longer could get great stuff at remarkable prices, but it also meant people lost jobs. I will find out any more info I can dig up so you can check out what there is left to check out, LOL!!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I will see what I can put together. There used to be a lingerie (PJs, robes, etc) outlet up near Boone. I once had this amazing list of factories and mills (often tucked away in rickety old factory buildings) - where I could get amazing deals on brand name products. I truly am sad these places are gone, b/c when they closed, that meant not only that I no longer could get great stuff at remarkable prices, but it also meant people lost jobs. I will find out any more info I can dig up so you can check out what there is left to check out, LOL!!!!
Thanks Ani!!!!!! Around here there are factory outlets for some things, but most are in Reading, Lancaster & York in PA.

Maybe one of us should just start a thread on outlets, within day-trip distance of Charlotte, in general.

LOL, I know what you mean about the rickety old buildings. Those places have the best prices!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 01:31 PM

3,423 posts, read 9,228,911 times
Maybe the Burlington Outlet Village has some of what you're looking for.

Home (http://www.burlingtonoutletvillage.com/shop/1/home/ - broken link)

Old 08-18-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Maybe the Burlington Outlet Village has some of what you're looking for.

Home (http://www.burlingtonoutletvillage.com/shop/1/home/ - broken link)
Thanks, that's a good selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte