Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,061 times

Advertisements

Hey all, new to the forum.. looks informative and helpful. I live in New York (Long Island) and my sister and her family are seriously considering making the move to Charlotte.

They have been down there for about 5 days or so looking at homes (new homes by Wieland Builders), and really like the town 'Matthews". We are Jewish and while we are somewhat reformed, we are looking to be amongnst other like families (most likely transient). If my sister and her family move to Charlotte, there's a good possibility Me, my wife and two little girls (6 and 3) might follow. From what I've been told the homes are new, as are the communities, good schools and lots of growth opportunities.

I would need a good job to relocate from where I am... I am in Internet Sales and work for a large media compnay here on Long Island (I would consider Charlotte Observer - Charlotte.com to be its equivalent.)

Any feedback on the Meckleberg/Union counties and Matthews? I'm told that Weiland is building beautiful new homes in this area and we would be interested in something in the $300 to $350,000 range.

Glad to be a member, maybe a new neighbor if all pans out... as much feedback as you all can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2006, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 7,061 times
anybody..........?

Old 05-30-2006, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 18,381 times
Dave

I am also new to this site, but I live in the Charlotte area - I've lived here 13 of the last 25 years - also have lived in MD, PA, NJ, SC and MO. While I enjoyed Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Kansas City very much, Charlotte has been the best fit for me. I have not encountered a better region of the country to raise kids than the Charlotte area, and I've looked.

Matthews is a nice town - part of the Char-Meck school system, which is good for a relatively urban school district, but has some conistency-quality issues and some pupil reassignment issues - that is you are not necessarily assured the same school year to year even if you don't move. I think these issues have been improving over the last five years, but some surrounding counties have benefitted from the uncertainties involving the Char-Meck schools, and housing just across the county borders has grown rapidly, especially in the southeast in Union county and the northeast in Cabarrus county. In Union county the schools are growing so rapidly that elementary school districts are splitting in two every few years. But in my experience moving from place to place, if you want to know where the good schools are, the best indicator is trailers - or as they likel to call them at Marvin Elementary "learning cottages."

Be somewhat careful if you are set on Matthews - many locations outside of the actual boundaries of Matthews, even outside Mecklenburg county will list a Matthews address or Matthews phone number. The post office and phone companies are not careful about this.

I am not Jewish, but you will find that Charlotte is a faith-based community, which is to say, social activities even of a very secular nature, tend to flow through the centers of worship, and people tend to identify themselves more by their worship center than other places I've lived. When you meet new people here, you are just as likely to be asked "what" church you go to as "if" you go to church. And if you respond that you are Jewish, you will likely be asked "what" temple you attend, not "if" you attend.

There is a fairly centralized Jewish worship and education center in Charlotte off Providence Road, south of Fairview that brings together both orthodox and reformed jewish communities, but there are smaller temples around town as well if that is your preference.

There are many decent builders in the area, but the milder weather leads to less effective building than you would expect to see in the NY area. Basements are rare, but porches and decks are more prevalent. In the price range you are entertaining I would expect to get 3200 to 3600 sqft on something less than 1/2 acre in a community with a pool and tennis courts. You will see the term "bonus room" which translates to "rec room" in most areas of the country - it is usually over the garage and may have some sloped ceilings that distinguish it from another bedroom. Technically, if it has a closet it can be called a bedroom.

For its size, Charlotte is more cosmopolitan than your typical southern city, but it will not compare to NY, or even PIttsburgh or Baltimore in terms of cultural and ethnic diversity. It is more diverse than Atlanta, but it is not on that scale of city. The hispanic population in Union county is growing very rapidly, and although I am not hispanic, my sense is that it is being integrated fairly well given the rapid growth (one of the top 20 fastest growing counties in the country). All kids take Spanish each year in Union county elementary and middle schools, and I don't hear any of that English-only propaganda. With that said, Union county is the home of Jesse Helms.

I don't know much about your field, but employment in Charlotte has been recovering from one of its worst periods, though not bad compared to national standards. You will hear people complain about the traffic here - try not to laugh in their face. We do have a rush hour here, and unlike every other major city I've lived in, it lasts only about an hour, as the name implies.

If you like water - boating and fishing - there are lakes around Charlotte that you might want to consider. Also, the city boundary extends to South Carolina, so you might want to look at the Fort Mill, SC area, which offers good schools too and a different tax structure.

Feel free to email me back for more info.

John

Old 05-31-2006, 08:25 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,457,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand
anybody..........?

Welcome, most people are on the North Carolina Forum. There's not as many people on the Charlotte forum.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuckley
Dave

I am also new to this site, but I live in the Charlotte area - I've lived here 13 of the last 25 years - also have lived in MD, PA, NJ, SC and MO. While I enjoyed Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Kansas City very much, Charlotte has been the best fit for me. I have not encountered a better region of the country to raise kids than the Charlotte area, and I've looked.

Matthews is a nice town - part of the Char-Meck school system, which is good for a relatively urban school district, but has some conistency-quality issues and some pupil reassignment issues - that is you are not necessarily assured the same school year to year even if you don't move. I think these issues have been improving over the last five years, but some surrounding counties have benefitted from the uncertainties involving the Char-Meck schools, and housing just across the county borders has grown rapidly, especially in the southeast in Union county and the northeast in Cabarrus county. In Union county the schools are growing so rapidly that elementary school districts are splitting in two every few years. But in my experience moving from place to place, if you want to know where the good schools are, the best indicator is trailers - or as they likel to call them at Marvin Elementary "learning cottages."

Be somewhat careful if you are set on Matthews - many locations outside of the actual boundaries of Matthews, even outside Mecklenburg county will list a Matthews address or Matthews phone number. The post office and phone companies are not careful about this.

I am not Jewish, but you will find that Charlotte is a faith-based community, which is to say, social activities even of a very secular nature, tend to flow through the centers of worship, and people tend to identify themselves more by their worship center than other places I've lived. When you meet new people here, you are just as likely to be asked "what" church you go to as "if" you go to church. And if you respond that you are Jewish, you will likely be asked "what" temple you attend, not "if" you attend.

There is a fairly centralized Jewish worship and education center in Charlotte off Providence Road, south of Fairview that brings together both orthodox and reformed jewish communities, but there are smaller temples around town as well if that is your preference.

There are many decent builders in the area, but the milder weather leads to less effective building than you would expect to see in the NY area. Basements are rare, but porches and decks are more prevalent. In the price range you are entertaining I would expect to get 3200 to 3600 sqft on something less than 1/2 acre in a community with a pool and tennis courts. You will see the term "bonus room" which translates to "rec room" in most areas of the country - it is usually over the garage and may have some sloped ceilings that distinguish it from another bedroom. Technically, if it has a closet it can be called a bedroom.

For its size, Charlotte is more cosmopolitan than your typical southern city, but it will not compare to NY, or even PIttsburgh or Baltimore in terms of cultural and ethnic diversity. It is more diverse than Atlanta, but it is not on that scale of city. The hispanic population in Union county is growing very rapidly, and although I am not hispanic, my sense is that it is being integrated fairly well given the rapid growth (one of the top 20 fastest growing counties in the country). All kids take Spanish each year in Union county elementary and middle schools, and I don't hear any of that English-only propaganda. With that said, Union county is the home of Jesse Helms.

I don't know much about your field, but employment in Charlotte has been recovering from one of its worst periods, though not bad compared to national standards. You will hear people complain about the traffic here - try not to laugh in their face. We do have a rush hour here, and unlike every other major city I've lived in, it lasts only about an hour, as the name implies.

If you like water - boating and fishing - there are lakes around Charlotte that you might want to consider. Also, the city boundary extends to South Carolina, so you might want to look at the Fort Mill, SC area, which offers good schools too and a different tax structure.

Feel free to email me back for more info.

John

Thank you for your thoughts on Charlotte that was very informative.

English only propaganda? hmmmm

Old 05-31-2006, 09:40 PM

2,187 posts, read 7,983,474 times
All the homes I have looked at in The John Wieland Dream Book I sent off for have been higher priced that what you mentioned.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:10 AM

467 posts, read 1,688,099 times
does anyone know what kind of town huntersville is? how long would it take to drive to the center of charlotte during rush hour?

Old 06-07-2006, 08:26 AM

192 posts, read 653,162 times
Quote:
All kids take Spanish each year in Union county elementary and middle schools, and I don't hear any of that English-only propaganda
I'm truly speechless, jaw dropped open.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:27 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,732,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuckley
Takes me back to the 70's in CA. Now speaking Spanish is a requirement for a lot of employment opportunities.
So progressive, so......... how did you put it? ......cosmopolitan.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
Takes me back to the 70's in CA. Now speaking Spanish is a requirement for a lot of employment opportunities.
So progressive, so......... how did you put it? ......cosmopolitan.
Yeah it's progressive alright........yeah we'll be progressed right out of employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte