U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:14 PM

21,682 posts, read 37,020,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
Oh and BTW, got many of those attorney solicitation letters. As a matter of fact, that is how I found out about the ticket. Guess there is no secret keeping with solicitation around, LOL.

I learn that in my college years.
Mom: "Did you get a ticket?"
Me: Um no (puzzled on who told her lmao)
Mom: "Then explain these letters from attorneys"
Me: Well I learn that I cant lie about stuff like that .. LMAO"

But parents do not tell your kids so you have that some what safety net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 03:32 AM

454 posts, read 1,515,964 times
About 13 years ago, I got a speeding ticket from a state trooper in South Carolina while coming back from the beach. It was getting late, I was 18 and by myself, and trying to get as close to home as I could before dark- I'm an NC resident. I got caught on a long, straight, deserted (so I thought!)stretch of Hwy 9 doing 70-something in a 55mph zone. It most certainly did show up on my NC license, but the trooper was VERY kind to me- he wrote the ticket on the spot reduced to 69 in a 55- unless the law has changed, if you get 15 or more miles over the speed limit in SC and you're from out of state you get taken to jail right on the spot (I was told). I am actually not sure if it was becasue of out of state, or if it was just everyone doing 15+ in SC period, who would get taken in. But the trooper didn't want to have to bother with hauling me to the jail and me losing my license on the spot because I was 18 and it was almost dark and I was by myself, and I would have had to wait on someone hours away to come get me- he felt sorry for me. He cut me a small break.

But I wasn't sure how to handle getting the ticket dropped- I did not want to pay it, I wanted to try to get it reduced or off my record, and I didn't/couldn't go to court in SC so I paid a lawyer and it was dropped. (I was lucky, I was speeding, I knew it, and I deserved the ticket).

Now, in Charlotte, a few years after that, I had a cop give me a speeding ticket in the University area claiming I was going 20 over the speed limit, and there was NO way I was. I was not going one mile over the limit. I simply was NOT. But he wrote me, and he refused to reduce it at all. I went to the courthouse in persona day or two later and had it reduced to 14 over just by asking, and then I was eligible to take the 4 hour traffic class for the cost of paying off the ticket or something similar (WAY less than paying a lawyer), and this got me a prayer for judgement continued. I made it the 3 years with no more tickets and my record stayed clean. I actually have not had a ticket since. I highly recommend the driving school option rather than getting a lawyer, it is much cheaper.

That ticked me off though. I was NOT speeding in the first place. That cop knew it, too. I was a college student. I didn't know how to protest the ticket, or how to ask that he prove I was speeding or anything. I don't know what technology the cops had at that time in the way of radar or monitoring equipment that would prove it, but NO WAY was I speeding. It was his word against mine. Someone told me I had the right to see the reading on the radar, but I didn't know how that proved it was MY car. these days I bet they have some kind of technology that would prove it to a specific car....(Right? Please tell me a cop can't just use his radar on a car, get a reading, and then pull a different car over and give THEM a ticket....) I still fume when I think of that. He claimed I was speeding along the intersection of Mallard Creek Church Rd and Tryon, and I couldn't have been doing what he said- there was a huge dip in the road there then, my car would have been airborn.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:40 AM

454 posts, read 1,515,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post

The best advice that can be given is never just pay a ticket (whether in state or out of state) that will qualify you to loose your license...because you'll pay it, think it's over with, then you get a notice from the DMV saying you're suspended for 30 days. Go to court and plea for a reduction in the speed...or ask really nice while getting writen up by the officer. My honesty while getting writen up on I-77 just across the NC/SC line (where I-77 drops to just 55 mph) got the officer to grace me with just a 9 mph ticket (when I was actually doing 72 in a 55)...little did I know at the time how much he was saving my butt by doing that!
I agree with this. You cannot always talk your way out of a ticket, but I found that most of the time, cops were very willing to write the ticket for 10 over or something stupid like that, because if it was too high of a speed over the limit, they'd have to go to court, or something like that....there was something different for the cop if the ticket was 15 or more over, than if they wrote it for 10-14 over....

On another note, I once had a cop pull me over at 2am in a 35 mph zone in a tiny town and threaten to give me a ticket as well as ask me if I had been drinking, BECAUSE I was going 10 mph UNDER the speed limit! It was a teeny, tiny town and I had seen the cop pull out and start riding my butt so I made sure I was not speeding through town. It was 2am, I had gotten off work in Charlotte at 8pm and driven to Winston Salem to visit my grandma in the hospital, and was driving back to Charlotte, and I was tired and not wanting to get a ticket from a cop tailgating me to get me to speed up. So I slowed down. The cop was a young guy, and told me for "future reference" that when you go under the speed limit so late at night, it's one of the things they look for for DUI's. I have never had an once of anything before driving. I told him I slowed down a little because he started riding my bumper and it seemed like he wanted me to speed up so he could ticket me. He didn't like that...but he let me go. I guess he could have written me a 25 mph ticket in a 35mph zone - I am sure it would have been tossed out though! I also told him that anyone else would have gotten a ticket for tailgating had a lay person been riding up on someone's bumper like that, and told him I could have hit my brakes and he could have rear ended me. I was cranky.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:37 AM

1,894 posts, read 3,692,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
I believe you're refering to the Prayer for Judgement Continued (PJC), which is actually available for use every 3 years, but only by one person in a household during that 3 year period.

Not sure why you'd advocate for this person to just pay the fine. That is never good advice. While I wouldnt necessarily hire an attorney, I'd at least show up in court. There is a decent chance the officer wont even show up, and then the ticket is dismissed. The government already gets enough of our money- no sense in giving them more!
Thanks for the correction...I was going off of word of mouth in my office about the "prayer for forgiveness" (as they called it). I knew there was at least some strict caveat (the one use per household).

As far as paying the ticket...
If you did it, then you did it. Man (or woman) up and accept responsibility. It will help you become a better driver who doesn't need to worry about getting out of tickets. And if in the rare case you're ticketed for something you know you didn't do (and aren't just trying to get out of the ticket), that's when you hire an attorney or use the age-old wife's tale of going to court hoping the cop doesn't show. Otherwise, you're taking at least a half-day off from work (which for me is more expensive than a $50-70 ticket) AND doing a crap shoot...because if the cop does show, then you're stuck with a ticket and court costs.

And to BlueLily...
I am not 100% certain about NC, but I know in FL, the "right to see the radar gun" myth is just that...a myth. It does boil down to their word against yours. I know people are quick to hate cops and think they're just meeting quotas...but the vast majority of them are legit (albeit, they can make mistakes, which is what the court system is truly meant for...not for folks trying to get out of their punishment for being bad!) and can be trusted.

I know I'm in the minority here...but I do have to be the advocate for owning up to your wrong doing when you do it. There's no easier law to follow than a speed limit. It's posted in 12" numbers in plain sight every mile or so. If you decide to break it, be prepared to be an adult about it and pay the fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte