Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2007, 09:08 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times

Advertisements

Guess I'm just a Vatican I type of girl, as opposed to Vatican II. I was a theology major and even though I'm somewhat young (30) I know the history of our beloved Church and I'm not the only one uncomfortable with these changes.

Unlike all other Christian sects we Catholics value tradition as an equally important part of our beliefs (at least we are supposed to.), as opposed to the Sola Scripture school of thought. So when drastic changes to our tradition are modified it causes concern to many Catholics. Usually only the more aged ones lately.

Like I said before I don't have a personal problem w/ altar girls or EMs at all! One of the EMs at my home parish lives on my parents street and is a lovely, faith-filled woman. I would have been the first to volunteer if altar girls were allowed when I was in grade school, trust me.

It's all about, for me, knowing the traditions that were in place for centuries then breaking those traditions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 11:10 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Oh, also our church has only alter boys. The priest said that he would start training the girls later in the spring after the boys were trained...well, let's see that would have been when our second son was in 5th grade...now he's almost 21...and in his third year of college, so I'd say that it's a safe bet that girls will not becoming alter girls anytime soon in our parish. Not to fear though, we have 2 boys that are currently in the Catholic school and alter boys, and another one that will start next year. But alas, our last two children are girls.
You must have a lot of boys "willing" to serve. I think my old parish has mostly boys also, but for the life of me, I never paid attention.....

Old 01-31-2007, 11:30 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,376,082 times
[quote=Donna7;322177] I've observed both old and young who stand there or sit there and don't say a word, or barely mumble the words, don't sing any of the songs, don't offer a sign of peace (act like they are both blind and deaf, act as if they don't know it's happening), and then leave right after they receive communion.

That is one of my pet peeves as well...running out the door while they're still chewing on the Communion hosts. It's just rude. Funny story, when my son was 4, my brother was transferred to a high school near our home & took his weekly duty at our parish. During Mass, right after Communion, he noticed people leaving rather than go back to their seats. In a very loud 4 yr old voice, he said, "Hey, where's everybody going? Uncle Tony's not finished with Mass yet!?" Some people actually sat back down. Just a funny story I thought I'd share.

Rosann

Old 01-31-2007, 12:56 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
You must have a lot of boys "willing" to serve. I think my old parish has mostly boys also, but for the life of me, I never paid attention.....

Mary, yes, all 5 boys have served, are serving, and will serve (the last one starting next year). They seem to like it; they serve right before school at the 8:00 a.m. mass, there's less than 20 people there, and then walk over to school that starts at 9:00 a.m. We live in a small town; very convenient.

To Sophia, I think that it is wonderful that you are so passionate about your faith - that is nothing to feel sorry about, if we would all be as passionate about what we love and believe in, and be true to ourselves, the world would be a better place.

Wishing you both the best.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:38 AM
MM1

1 posts, read 5,349 times
Default Me Too!!!

I also will be moving to Charlotte in a few months and would like to find a conservative Catholic parish. I'm from a very conservative diocese (Arlington) just outside of D.C. I have family in Charlotte and every time I've attended Mass there I have felt like I was in a Baptist church or something.

Are there ANY conservative parishes in the Charlotte area???

Old 03-28-2007, 09:22 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,732 times
Default Saint Philip Neri in Ft. Mill

St. Matthew or St. Gabriel are very popular for folks in Western Union County.

I do have a friend who found those churches too crowded. She attends Saint Philip Neri in Ft. Mill. Maybe an overlooked option for the Union County crowd.?

Saint Philip Neri in Ft. Mill, SC
http://www.saintphilipneri.org/

Charlotte Diocese - search for area churches
http://www.charlottediocese.org/parishes-all.html (broken link)

Just FYI - Belmont Abby
http://www.belmontabbeycollege.edu/chapel/ (broken link)

Old 03-28-2007, 10:06 AM

549 posts, read 2,384,087 times
Default Nothing wrong with old traditions!

SophiaLee,
I know where your coming from. I did communion in a big puffy white organza dress with veil and dainty lace gloves. As a 8-year-old I looked forward to wearing that dress And having my whole family come to church the day of was so thrilling. When I used to go to mass with my grandmother I would have to wear those white lace shawls over my hair. My family for many years went to the Saint Peter's Parish since it was the only Catholic church in Charlotte for many years since the Catholic population was so small until recently. Being the oldest Catholic Church it has a smilar look to those 19th century churches located in NY. My grandmother told me it's original interiors had a more of a gothic look before all the minimal cream paint went on. The building recently went through a restoration process in 2005. It is located on 507 South Tryon. However they have not hold The Traditional Latin Mass anymore. It has been a while now. For a Traditional Latin Mass you have to go to St. Anthony Catholic Church in nearby Mount Holly. The Society of St. Pius X helds a latin mass there. Southern cities like St. Augustine, Charleston and New Orleans did have a sizeable Catholic population during the colonial era and 19th century so they have many of those old, basilicas, churches and cathedrals with adjoining gardens you might really like.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:17 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,053 times
I guess I grew up in a pretty liberal church.

<<Altar girls are a new thing.>> I was an altar girl 28 years ago. My parents were both Eucharistic Ministers back then, and my Mom still is today. In fact, I’ve never attended a Mass where there weren’t lay EMs. I didn’t even know that was a possibility.

<<We will be going to St. Matthew's Catholic Church in Ballantyne >> Here’s fair warning that you have to get there EARLY to get a seat. We ended up leaving St. Matthew because it became impossible to manage - we couldn't get a seat unless we were there 15 minutes before Mass, but we couldn’t pick up our daughter from CCD earlier than 15 minutes before Mass. For a while, they did a family Mass in the school cafeteria for everyone whose kids just got out of CCD, but I don’t think Monsignor could stand the chaos and it was quickly cancelled. I don't think we got to sit down the last year we went there. We’ve transferred to St. Philip Neri in Fort Mill, mainly because we’re about to move to Tega Cay, but I know many folks from Union County who go there. I wouldn’t call it conservative, though.

About ten years ago we were parishioners at St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Seems like it was pretty conservative then, and I can’t imagine it’s gotten LESS conservative since Bishop Jugis took over from Bishop Curlin. We would plan around Bishop Curlin’s schedule because he gave the most wonderful homilies.

For a long time they staunchly refused to consider putting a Catholic Church in western Union County, because of a shortage of priests. Now apparently they’re building a chapel in Union County near Indian Land.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:23 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,732 times
Default Indian Land or Indian Trail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by megassel View Post
For a long time they staunchly refused to consider putting a Catholic Church in western Union County, because of a shortage of priests. Now apparently they’re building a chapel in Union County near Indian Land.
By "they," do you mean the Diocese?

Indian Land is in South Carolina. Do you mean Indian Land or Indian Trail (Indian Trail is in Union County, NC). Just wanted to clarify.

That's interesting to know.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:59 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,053 times
Yes, "they" is the Charlotte Diocese. Apparently, the chapel is planned for just inside NC down by Carolina Lakes, the new DelWebb 55+ community down Lancaster Highway. (I thought that development was well into SC, so I could be a bit off on the geography.) Fr. John told us about it a few months ago at St. Philip Neri. It affects St. Philip Neri because a good bit of the growth the parish is experiencing is a result of overcrowding at Saint Matthew, which clearly has a funding impact over the long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte