U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:24 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,166,206 times

Advertisements

That is one of my pet peeves as well...running out the door while they're still chewing on the Communion hosts. It's just rude.

Ditto on that! How disrespectful to leave church before the priest leaves the Altar or better yet, how rude to arrive AFTER the priest has reached the Altar! Even better yet, how rude to talk on the telephone while waiting for Mass to begin!?!
My Goodness, I'm really throwing stones here....
We love St. Matthews in Ballantyne, BTW. The music and choir are inspiring! The first time I walked into that church I began crying hysterically. Don't know why, but I just felt like I was "home".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 02:51 PM

98 posts, read 233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
We will be going to St. Matthew's catholic Church in Ballantyne and live in Wesley Chapel. It seems much nicer then the one I go to now here in Philly. It seesm more liek a community type of church with all sorts of activities. I am excited to join...but the 20 min. drive wil not be so fun!

I have no problem with the altar girls but do with the laymen communion members.

We picked this church because it has a school and eventually if we stay down in NC our kids will go to school there.

http://www.stmatthewcatholic.org/
Hi, As you know I'll be in Wesley Chapel in June. Is St. Matthew's the closest Catholic Church near our community? Thanks!

Old 03-28-2007, 08:11 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,663,584 times
Default Jan...

Yes it is the closest one..well actually there is one in Monoe but they speak Spanish and I don't so that wouldn't work for me.. St. Matthew's is beautiful!

Old 04-17-2007, 10:07 AM

11 posts, read 30,645 times
So glad I found this thread! I thought it was just me . I have been searching for a more traditional Mass however have had no luck as of yet. My pet peeves however are very different from others, and are pretty silly. The EMs and girl servers don't bother me at all....I don't even notice the non-traditional things that irk other people but my pet peeves, while they are really silly, REALLY bother me at Mass. My pet peeves are: hand holding during the 'Our Father' (i know...pretty silly complaint) and the incessant playing of guitars, drums, etc at Mass, and singing absolutely every prayer (really missing organ music and the old hymns I remember from my youth).

I attended St. John Neumann on Ildewild when I first came to Charlotte (1994) and I seem to recall that it was pretty traditional then...not sure if that is still the case. I currently attend St. Luke's in Mint Hill and, while I do love the parish priest (very good homilies), I still have issues with the music and the hand holding. We attended St. Matthew's for years, and I absolutely loved Monseignor McSweeney, however again it was not very traditional at all. I even mentioned to him that I just couldn't stand all of the handholding and the music (it seemed like a concert every time I attended Mass.... i was very tempted to hold up a lighter each Sunday....jk). I do have many friends who attend St Mathews and love it. I also grew up very traditional and all of my family members have the same feelings that I do whenever they visit. So, I'm still looking for that traditional Mass, or even a quiet simple Mass in the Chapel at one of the Churches. In my hometown when I was younger, my mom and I used to go to an early Mass at 6:30 am that was quiet and reflective and we just loved it!

Haven't been to the Church in Monroe yet, but I would love to know if they have an English Mass there and if it is very crowded???? anyone know?

Old 04-17-2007, 11:35 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,663,584 times
Default mass

To my understanding it is all spanish.

I know what you mean about the simple masses..those are my husband's favorite.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:44 AM

476 posts, read 1,451,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
That is one of my pet peeves as well...running out the door while they're still chewing on the Communion hosts. It's just rude.

Ditto on that! How disrespectful to leave church before the priest leaves the Altar or better yet, how rude to arrive AFTER the priest has reached the Altar! Even better yet, how rude to talk on the telephone while waiting for Mass to begin!?!
My Goodness, I'm really throwing stones here....
We love St. Matthews in Ballantyne, BTW. The music and choir are inspiring! The first time I walked into that church I began crying hysterically. Don't know why, but I just felt like I was "home".

I have yet to see someone talking on their cell phone while waiting for mass. That has to be the worse one yet. Yikes!

I have gotten a lot of good info from this thread and will be a bit more informed when we arrived thanks to all of you.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:15 PM

89 posts, read 261,522 times
Default holding hands.....

BE SILLY... AND DON'T HOLD HANDS IF YOU DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH IT.PLACE YOUR HANDS TOGETHER IN A PRAYERFUL POSITION AND THAT WOULD BE A SIGN. ALSO MANY PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE A HUG OR A KISS AT THE TIME OF OFFERING THE PEACE TO YOUR NEIGHBOOR IN THE PEW, DON'T DO IT JUST A SMILE OR A NOD WITH A VERBAL WORD OF PEACE IS ENOUGH.THIS SIGNS ARE NOT MANDATORY,BUT IF YOU OPT TO HOLD HANDS WHILE PRAYING OUR LORDS PRAYER, PLEASE REMEMBER TO WASH YOUR HANDS AFTER LEAVING THE SERVICE,AND IF YOU NOTICE A COLD OR FLU DON'T GET TOO FRIENDLY OFFERING THE SIGN OF PEACE. THE SAME GOES IF YOU ARE NOT FEELING THAT KOSHER!!REMEMBER UNIVERSAL PRECAUTIONS AND COMUN SENSE... GOD BLESS ALL, Alberto E.

QUOTE=indiantrail-girl;589607]So glad I found this thread! I thought it was just me . I have been searching for a more traditional Mass however have had no luck as of yet. My pet peeves however are very different from others, and are pretty silly. The EMs and girl servers don't bother me at all....I don't even notice the non-traditional things that irk other people but my pet peeves, while they are really silly, REALLY bother me at Mass. My pet peeves are: hand holding during the 'Our Father' (i know...pretty silly complaint) and the incessant playing of guitars, drums, etc at Mass, and singing absolutely every prayer (really missing organ music and the old hymns I remember from my youth).

I attended St. John Neumann on Ildewild when I first came to Charlotte (1994) and I seem to recall that it was pretty traditional then...not sure if that is still the case. I currently attend St. Luke's in Mint Hill and, while I do love the parish priest (very good homilies), I still have issues with the music and the hand holding. We attended St. Matthew's for years, and I absolutely loved Monseignor McSweeney, however again it was not very traditional at all. I even mentioned to him that I just couldn't stand all of the handholding and the music (it seemed like a concert every time I attended Mass.... i was very tempted to hold up a lighter each Sunday....jk). I do have many friends who attend St Mathews and love it. I also grew up very traditional and all of my family members have the same feelings that I do whenever they visit. So, I'm still looking for that traditional Mass, or even a quiet simple Mass in the Chapel at one of the Churches. In my hometown when I was younger, my mom and I used to go to an early Mass at 6:30 am that was quiet and reflective and we just loved it!

Haven't been to the Church in Monroe yet, but I would love to know if they have an English Mass there and if it is very crowded???? anyone know?[/quote]

Old 11-25-2007, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,259 times
I am a disgruntled Methodist who is considering becoming Catholic. All of this talk makes me feel unworthy to come to Mass. Do cradle Catholics really look that poorly upon converts? Is there any hope for me?

Old 11-26-2007, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,584 times
Default catholic Churches

You are right, there aren't many..
St Peter's- downtown
St Ann's- Dilworth/Park Road Area
St Matthews- closest to you- 17K members though- so maybe not as conservative as you wish
St Patricks- bishop says mass here- in Dilworth- small/beautiful
St Vincents-on Park Road- nice
St Philip Neri-my favorite- in Fort Mill, SC

Old 11-26-2007, 01:04 PM

755 posts, read 2,242,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteanfromPittsburgh View Post
St Philip Neri-my favorite- in Fort Mill, SC
Mine, too. The priests of the Oratory are so welcoming, warm, and loving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or