U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 05:56 AM

1,455 posts, read 3,640,681 times

Advertisements

Here's what I mean:
I'm moving into a new apartment soon. It is prewired for cable -- there are five "outlets" in four rooms. The Time-Warner guy says that there is an installation fee of about $20/room. My question is, can he actually just turn on the cable to specific outlets? In other words, if I only have him "install" cable in the main sitting room, won't the bedroom outlets also be live? Or does he actually have to connect each of the cables in some box somewhere?

What I'm hoping for is that I can just pay $20 for the one room, and hook up the other rooms myself with some coax cable bought from Radio Shack.

Anyone know how this works?
(PS. I'm not entirely sure that this is Charlotte-specific, but the apartment in question is indeed in Charlotte so I thought I'd post it here. I might post it somewhere else too, if there's a tv or tech forum around here.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 06:54 AM

677 posts, read 2,012,444 times
I don't understand why TWC would charge per outlet, I've never had to pay any kind of installation fee with them unless I was getting a new line run.

Generally speaking, you have one dedicated line from the tap to your apartment and more than likely its split from there.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 AM

16 posts, read 83,262 times
It might be that there is an installation fee for actually installing a cable box at each jack?

I bet you'll be able to pick up the basic cable channels from any source, but you'll only have access to HD, on-demand, premium channels, etc. through the cable box that you pay to have installed and then rent monthly from TWC.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
I don't understand why TWC would charge per outlet, I've never had to pay any kind of installation fee with them unless I was getting a new line run.
Technically, he said he's charging per room, not outlet -- so I guess the one room would have two working outlets. *shrugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
Generally speaking, you have one dedicated line from the tap to your apartment and more than likely its split from there.
This is what I'd hope for. That way I could just pay for the one room and hook up the other ones myself. I'd just hate to get the tv's there and find out I had to call him back (which I suspect would involve an extra extra charge)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier8425 View Post
It might be that there is an installation fee for actually installing a cable box at each jack?

I bet you'll be able to pick up the basic cable channels from any source, but you'll only have access to HD, on-demand, premium channels, etc. through the cable box that you pay to have installed and then rent monthly from TWC.
Well, if this is likely, I would indeed be better off not paying for more than one room. We're only getting basic basic cable -- only 20 channels or so for $11/month. No cable boxes at all, no hd, no dvr, no bells and whistles at all. Just a matter of connecting the tv to the jack with a coax cable. $20 seems a bit silly for that, imo, and I'd like to avoid paying it two more times than I have to.

Thanks guys.
Anyone else?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:01 AM

19,814 posts, read 55,694,726 times
When I remodelled my house, the electrician installed all the wiring and outlets for cable/internet. Then my cable company came and installed the boxes and modem. I have one TV in the grandchildrens' room that does not have a box and it gets the basic 13 channels. At least with every cable company I've dealt with, to get more than the basic airwaves channels, you need some kind of box.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:11 AM

Ah. Well, we currently have basic cable with Time-Warner and do not have a box. We have the lowest tier of programming available. So if that's available without any additional "installation" other than connecting the cable to the tv, I may be good to go.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:12 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,721,338 times
Apartments are set up to be turned on and off with service per apartment, not per room...TYPICALLY. There very well could be some weird out of the norm setup at your place, but the builder would have to have had a good reason to run all that extra wiring...basically, each and every single room would have to be wired like it was it's own apartment. I highly doubt this was done.

They are blatantly ripping you off by charging for every outlet...even if you're getting a cable box in every room (since TWC advertises "free" additional standard boxes). There's no getting around at least one "installation fee" since they do physically have to visit the apartment, open a service box (located on the outside of the apartment building), and plug your apartment in to get service. Believe me, I've gone round and round on this arguing that they aren't "installing" a darn thing! Finally got them to say they're just opening the box and plugging in a wire.

Long story short, if your TV's are cable ready (which they will be if they're from the 1990's and newer), you only need to tell them you need install for one room. Once they make your apartment "hot" with cable signal, all outlets should work and you just plug the TV into it. And NO, this is not stealing cable since they also advertise free standard cable to each room on an account.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:26 AM

47 posts, read 154,011 times
Hmmm...out of curiosity, I would ask the guy from TWC if the $20 hookup fee is because you are in that apartment complex, or if that is a standard fee that they charge everyone regardless of if they are in an apartment or not.

Any more apartments are always wired for cable, but the only time I (personally) have seen them wired per room is in a student housing complex that is rented by the bedroom to students. The only thing that makes sense to me is that its some kind of unique set up between TWC and the complex.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:33 AM

677 posts, read 2,012,444 times
it's a standard fee, its on their pricing website, I've just never had to pay it.

In my condo I have two dedicated lines coming in, but when the building was built it was only one. After cable internet became widespread TWC went ahead and installed the second line from the tap at no charge.

The thing to keep in mind is if you have 1 or 2 taps going into your place and then it is split, that each split is usually a minimum of 3db loss of your signal. Ideally you'll want your cable modem (if you plan on going that route) tied to a non split line from the outdoor box. The technician should know this, if he doesn't tell him to leave.

If you plan on getting digital service & HD then you'll need a much better signal than standard cable. But again the Tech should know this going out there. But I've had a few that had no idea what I was talking about.

Good Luck

Old 08-19-2008, 12:51 PM

8 posts, read 34,816 times
my guess is that the charge is if a new line needs to be installed. If it's just activating the current lines then there probably isn't a charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte