Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Mooresville: better quality life, insurance rates, property taxes, motorsports engineering, lake areas

Old 01-30-2007, 09:26 AM

8 posts, read 18,552 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Well i was just wondering if anyone out there can offer any advise. My wife and I along with our three kids, 2 girls ages, 11, and 7, and our little boy is 5 are thinking about relocating to the Mooresville, Huntersville area. A few reasons why, first off, my wife and i are both from Miami,Fl, iam 34 shes 32, we were both born and raised here never lived anywhere else. We are basically loking for a better quality of life not only for ourselves but more importantly our kids. Miami has become very overcrowded, the traffic situation is impossible, the cost of living, along with rising insurance rates and property taxes are ridiculous, and its not the safest place in the country to try to raise a family, if anyone is from that area than they know what i mean. Now dont get me wrong i,ve lived here all my life so we have alot of family that we'll miss along with the warm weather and the beach in the summer, but most of all the Keys which i enjoy very much. Anyways iam currently enrolled in college after almost 17 years of putting it off and i have decided to major in mechanical engineering. There is an excellent motorsports engineering program at the university of north carolina at charlotte that iam trying to get into hopefully in a year. So that is one of the reasons why we want to do this, but we do not want to live in charlotte, we want to kind of get away from the city, and i dont mind driving in just to go to class. I guess the concerns i have is for the kids , iam sure they will adopt to the location we choose, but iam curious about how they will be accepted, being that their grandparents are from cuba and well we look latin you know. we all speak perfect english, as a matter of fact their grandparents get upset at us for not talking any spanish at home bc our kids speak spanish horrible, they only speak english so they cant communicate that well with their grandkids. well anyways if anyone can give some some information on those two area i mentioned that would be great, real estate , and just how would we fit into those areas being that we're hispanic. thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 09:58 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbmerc View Post
Hi there,

Well i was just wondering if anyone out there can offer any advise. My wife and I along with our three kids, 2 girls ages, 11, and 7, and our little boy is 5 are thinking about relocating to the Mooresville, Huntersville area. A few reasons why, first off, my wife and i are both from Miami,Fl, iam 34 shes 32, we were both born and raised here never lived anywhere else. We are basically loking for a better quality of life not only for ourselves but more importantly our kids. Miami has become very overcrowded, the traffic situation is impossible, the cost of living, along with rising insurance rates and property taxes are ridiculous, and its not the safest place in the country to try to raise a family, if anyone is from that area than they know what i mean. Now dont get me wrong i,ve lived here all my life so we have alot of family that we'll miss along with the warm weather and the beach in the summer, but most of all the Keys which i enjoy very much. Anyways iam currently enrolled in college after almost 17 years of putting it off and i have decided to major in mechanical engineering. There is an excellent motorsports engineering program at the university of north carolina at charlotte that iam trying to get into hopefully in a year. So that is one of the reasons why we want to do this, but we do not want to live in charlotte, we want to kind of get away from the city, and i dont mind driving in just to go to class. I guess the concerns i have is for the kids , iam sure they will adopt to the location we choose, but iam curious about how they will be accepted, being that their grandparents are from cuba and well we look latin you know. we all speak perfect english, as a matter of fact their grandparents get upset at us for not talking any spanish at home bc our kids speak spanish horrible, they only speak english so they cant communicate that well with their grandkids. well anyways if anyone can give some some information on those two area i mentioned that would be great, real estate , and just how would we fit into those areas being that we're hispanic. thanks..
You will fit right in This area of NC is a gathering area for people from many parts of the country and from many countries. There are many hispanics in particular. Look to live in Harrisburg, Kannopolis or Concord - smaller cities near to the university area. Best of luck getting into the program at UNCC

Old 01-30-2007, 10:15 AM

218 posts, read 253,825 times
LM gives good advice.. parts of Harrisburg and Concord are very convenient to UNCC. Seeing as how you are interested in motorsports engineering, you will not have ANY trouble making friends here.

Nothing wrong with "putting it off" as you stated. My friend just graduated USC 1.5 months ago at the age of 31. His degree was ME as well.

I also wish you luck.

Last edited by Charlotte ePro; 01-30-2007 at 10:35 AM..

Old 01-30-2007, 10:18 AM

Default thanx

thank alot for the replies, that really helps, i appreciate it.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:20 AM

oh and i forgot to mention, we're both looking for work up there at the moment, not necessarily in charlotte but the surrounding area, if anyone can help with that it would be appreciated, once again , thanks.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:57 AM

68 posts, read 185,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbmerc View Post
Hi there,

LM did give you some good advice, but coming from Miami you might like being closer to the lake areas, since you are moving so far from the beach. The Mooresville/ Huntersville are filled with transplants from all over, and are booming with people moving here every week. My Father is an immigrant with a heavy accent and has had no problems since moving here from NY.
Not quite the beach, but the lake offers great summer fun. Real Estate is much more reasonable then where you are now and taxes are much less. If you would like any help with Real Estate in this area just let me know. I think that is absolutely wonderful that you are going back to school, and that you have not given up your dream. I admire that. KUDOS TO YOU! Good luck to you and your family with your new adventure.

Here are some sites you might want to check out
www.lakenormanchamber.org
www.schoolmatters.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte