Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:39 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times

Advertisements

Do most people keep computers long enough to need service?
The last time I used a computer service was 1989 right before I switched to Apple.

Since then I buy new computers every 18 months or so.
It is a tool, but unlike a hammer is out of date when you buy it, so the only way to stay current is to just keep upgrading.

I'd question the market, but I might not be the typical consumer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 07:50 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
I would agree with most, there really is not a huge market for computer repair; most computers are cheap enough to be "disposable". Training is offered at the community college probably a lot cheaper than you could do it. Better that this be your side job and pursue a day job in IT which will make you some decent money.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:07 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana6992 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. The difference with the shop though, is it wouldn't just be a PC repair shop, It'd be a retail location I kind of want to think of it more of like a "Computer Center" I'd sell custom built machines, get good with distributeurs like dell, acer and compaq and sell them cheap, sell anti-viruses, all the works, but something that I think might make it a little more appealing would be that I would teach classes almost every night, The classes would be reasonably priced, and it would be a Classroom type environment in a seperate room in the back of the store.. Classes would range from basic windows knowledge to configuring and troubleshooting server errors and would be more than reasonable in price. Another thing I wanted to try was, I wanted to see if there was a way that I would be able to prep people for the A+ exam and maybe be able to have clients get they're A+ certification at my location. I know it's a long shot, but if I would be able to do something like that I think i'd have a pretty good shot of making it more than just an average repair shop.
The custom PC shop is dead. You may have a chance if you're attempting to resell Dell but the overhead of your store front will kill that. Personally, I think Dell will eventually pull the retail outlet channel back in and go back to truly being direct. But that's just my thoughts.

I think training is a good thing but it would be better if you took an on demand model and rented a conference room in a hotel and taught from their vs. maintaining the fixed overhead of a shop, utilities, etc. Or possibly you can approach an existing shop and strike a deal to rent their room to teach.

I think if you really want to exercise your tech skills and make money off of it, I think gaming centers, internet cafes (possibly a go-green based one), or more lucrative alternatives as you can plug in low skill cheap labor. I think either of those biz models in the right location would be a great niche biz.

One thing most techies always over look (and as one I can tell you first hand), is they always looked at what their skillset, which is usually spectacular, but it's still the skill of one person. Business is about scalability, and the best businesses are the ones that run when you're working in it or not. If you've got to be there at all times to make it happen, it's worse than a 9 to 5 job- it's a self-imposed prison.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:30 PM

50 posts, read 147,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I would agree with most, there really is not a huge market for computer repair; most computers are cheap enough to be "disposable". Training is offered at the community college probably a lot cheaper than you could do it. Better that this be your side job and pursue a day job in IT which will make you some decent money.

I have my own business right now and i'm running it out of my house. I'm making decent money but I kind of wanted to stand out, rather than just be "another tech with a cell phone". I know the PC industry is not doing as well as it did 10 years ago, however I feel that if I offered classes at night, they would be more convienent and I would undercut the College.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
The custom PC shop is dead. You may have a chance if you're attempting to resell Dell but the overhead of your store front will kill that. Personally, I think Dell will eventually pull the retail outlet channel back in and go back to truly being direct. But that's just my thoughts.

I think training is a good thing but it would be better if you took an on demand model and rented a conference room in a hotel and taught from their vs. maintaining the fixed overhead of a shop, utilities, etc. Or possibly you can approach an existing shop and strike a deal to rent their room to teach.

I think if you really want to exercise your tech skills and make money off of it, I think gaming centers, internet cafes (possibly a go-green based one), or more lucrative alternatives as you can plug in low skill cheap labor. I think either of those biz models in the right location would be a great niche biz.

One thing most techies always over look (and as one I can tell you first hand), is they always looked at what their skillset, which is usually spectacular, but it's still the skill of one person. Business is about scalability, and the best businesses are the ones that run when you're working in it or not. If you've got to be there at all times to make it happen, it's worse than a 9 to 5 job- it's a self-imposed prison.
Thank you for your advice, I'm going to look into that as well. I do believe that the repair/sales industry is a very tough one right now, I feel I may be able to make some money, it is a big gamble. But we'll see. Thank you again, everybody. Keep the responses coming!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
If I where you I would hit the older generation market and offer training.

For instance my mom doesnt know what is the difference between a mouse and cursor.
She tough learner and I think as you get older you go through the "Why" stage again and she wants to jot everything I mean everything down when hands on experience is best for computer learning.

She bought this really sweet computer that I love using when I go over to her house I dont know the speed but it has about everything even a wide screen monitor with usb ports not only in computer but the monitor as well and it is a desktop.
It has some kind of tv function that I cannot figure the remote out but someone like her or me on her pc lol needs that kind of training not just when they screw something up but lol that too.
She needs to know when certain windows pop up on the screen if it is legitimate or a scam or spam.

She still grabs a phone book when she needs a number or address and she still grabs her 1960's encycopedias when she wants information. After I watch the opening ceremony of the Olympics there probably 20 new countries since the year of her encycopedias. She needs to be train on how simple the internet can be in her life for information on anything.

I would consider tapping in that market.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:36 AM

50 posts, read 147,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

For instance my mom doesnt know what is the difference between a mouse and cursor.
She tough learner and I think as you get older you go through the "Why" stage again and she wants to jot everything I mean everything down when hands on experience is best for computer learning.

She bought this really sweet computer that I love using when I go over to her house I dont know the speed but it has about everything even a wide screen monitor with usb ports not only in computer but the monitor as well and it is a desktop.
It has some kind of tv function that I cannot figure the remote out but someone like her or me on her pc lol needs that kind of training not just when they screw something up but lol that too.
She needs to know when certain windows pop up on the screen if it is legitimate or a scam or spam.

She still grabs a phone book when she needs a number or address and she still grabs her 1960's encycopedias when she wants information. After I watch the opening ceremony of the Olympics there probably 20 new countries since the year of her encycopedias. She needs to be train on how simple the internet can be in her life for information on anything.

It's interesting that you say that. That's what I was looking to offer, I'd have about 5 computers in a classroom, and one class would be Basic windows knowledge, for people that want to learn up more on windows, this is they're first computer and they want to learn everything they can, my father is the same way, he's not sure on how to work the machine, he calls me all the time for the most basic stuff. Classes would benefit a lot of folks I feel, ontop of that, then i'd have the more advanced classes, for the A+, etc...

Old 08-20-2008, 12:16 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

Great idea...

Secondly, the pc cafe/shop/repair center is an idea that might work. I still think people need repairs done on their pcs, I know several who need data recovery and virus fixin (which is probably the top issue these days). I used to run a best buy tech center in the 90's and we saw all sorts of fun, but were so limited. My knowledge is gone now too of course. Customized PC's are still out there, but most people buy them online, with Falcon, Alien, CSC, etc.

Good luck though in your endeavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte