U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:53 AM
AVA AVA started this thread

129 posts, read 287,331 times

Advertisements

We just bought a second home in N.C. for vacations and summers.Can I get a N.C. drivers license but still keep my Connecticut one? I have relatives that live part time in FL and they have both a Fl license and CT.Just wondering...
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 10:09 AM

716 posts, read 1,905,968 times
No, they require you to surrender the old state's license when you get an NC one.

Why would you want two?

Old 08-24-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
No, they require you to surrender the old state's license when you get an NC one.

Why would you want two?

I was thinking that we could register one of our cars in N.C if we had a license there.For example, the house is a fixer upper and our new neighbor told us we could use the local dump for free if we had a pass(that comes with registration)Just perks like that....

Old 08-24-2008, 10:17 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Ultra is right. I am just curious, tho. While i was in Kansas, I had a second home in NC, and stayed in NC for summers, holidays, etc. and never had a problem presenting a KS license. Just curious why you would think you needed 2 licenses. I am very surprised to hear about Florida allowing someone to keep their CT license, as well. When I moved to KS, I had to surrender my NC license, and vice versa.

Last edited by brokensky; 08-24-2008 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-24-2008, 10:18 AM

You can register one of your cars in NC regardless of living out of state. I had a car I left at our second home in NC the whole time I lived in KS - cheaper than renting a car when we flew back in. So no prob doing that. As for landfill, all we had to do was show an electric bill in our names for our home/address here in NC - and they were fine w/ letting us use the landfill.

Last edited by brokensky; 08-24-2008 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: clarfication

Old 08-24-2008, 10:21 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,439,321 times
If NC is your primary place of living you are required to get a NC drivers license at which time to surrender your other states license, as another poster said. As far as the dump fees here--they are very inexpensive to begin with. We dump a pickup truck full and it cost us around $10.00.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post

Why would you want two?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You can register one of your cars in NC regardless of living out of state. I had a car I left at our second home in NC the whole time I lived in KS - cheaper than renting a car when we flew back in. So no prob doing that. As for landfill, all we had to do was show an electric bill in our names for our home/address here in NC - and they were fine w/ letting us use the landfill.

Really-I thought I read you had to have N.C. license to register a car there.Thanks for the info-good news

Old 08-24-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVA View Post
Really-I thought I read you had to have N.C. license to register a car there.Thanks for the info-good news
As long as you own a home, and are paying taxes on the car and have it registered in the county where your home is, no prob. At least, it was not as late as 2002. We moved back here in late 2002 so it was a moot point after that, LOL!!!

The county where you own property will be very happy to assess taxes on the car and accept the monies, wh/ is why they will let you register your car there!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 12:28 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,627,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVA View Post
Really-I thought I read you had to have N.C. license to register a car there.
Beginning September 15, 2007, you must present a valid North Carolina Driver's License or a North Carolina Identification Card to register a vehicle in North Carolina -N.C. General Statute 20-52 (a).

Valid driver's licenses from other states may be accepted for vehicle registrations with documentation of the following:

-Military active duty stationed in N.C.;
-College enrollment in an N.C. school;
-Vehicle garaged in N.C. for a minimum of 6 months;
-Court-ordered sale of a vehicle;
-Vehicle is co-owned;
-Registration for a motor home; or
-Documented medical condition

Old 08-24-2008, 04:50 PM

924 posts, read 1,853,418 times
The only way that I know of to get a Fl driver's license without surrendering the old one is to tell them that you don't have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte