U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:03 AM

35,116 posts, read 41,593,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by protected View Post
yes kids and adults, riding bikes through our yards,walking up the driveway to cut through our yards, and if you say something to them they sometimes give you that "go to hell look"
First of all - are you on a corner?

Secondly - how serious are you about taking care of the problem? Can you invest money in solving it? Are you willing to invest the physical labor into solving it?

You can buy fencing from Lowe's (and probably Home Depot) and put in on their credit card - no interest, 12 months. You first line of defense is a fence. But again, you are going to have to commit some funds to that. If you can install it yourself . . . then you can do it for a reasonable price. Is this a hard job? Well, it is going to take some time by yourself. But you can do it. It is a job a homeowner can do. You can get a post hole digger and quik-crete and do it. So are you willing to put in the effort to do that? There may be restrictions as to what type of fencing you can install. An easy fence would be a split rail type fence . . . but you will have to make sure your HOA allows it. You can even extend that type of fence to the front yard, on both sides of your property, as long as that is allowed.

As for your front yard . . . do you know the exact lines of your property? If you do, get Leyland Cypress and plant along the line. Again, you will need to make sure your HOA allows it.

Other plants that work are chinese photinia. A good combo is a split rail fence and photinia in front of the fence. Red-tip photinia is my favorite, but it is susceptible to a leaf disease and so people are not using it much anymore.

If having people cross your property is really really bugging you, then you are going to have to do something to keep them out. Plain and simple.

So how much effort are you willing to put into stopping people from trekking across your yard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Prickly hedges and rosebushes worked for me in the past. You can buy those garden edging fences pretty cheaply - they aren't strong, you just stick them into the grouond, but they come in about 30 in. heioght. It's a reminder to not walk that way.
Good suggestions, SB. I was trying to think of some prickly type hedges to recommend. Any suggestions for our frustrated homeowner? Pyracantha, but most people find them hard to handle over the years . . . A row of iceberg roses . . . ????

Old 09-04-2008, 12:20 PM

16,135 posts, read 29,204,015 times
It all depends on his soil and the amount of sun/shade it gets. If a century plant will grow there, it''s great for having sharp tips and it gets quite large over the years. For immediate relief, if they'll grow there, roses are the best bet as you can get large ones at any nursery.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:44 PM

4,593 posts, read 4,873,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I'd skip that. Given that you know pedestrians commonly cut across your property you are essentially introducing a known hazard with the potential to cause injury (and maybe even the intent to cause injury).

With the litigious nature of folks today that could be a nasty situation.=
Sarcasm dude....sarcasm....

Old 09-04-2008, 08:25 PM

11,763 posts, read 17,764,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Any suggestions for our frustrated homeowner?
None that won't land him in jail.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:27 AM

997 posts, read 3,105,490 times
now, don't know if it would be against watering regs, but what about the motion sensitive sprinkler, made to deter "pests" ie dogs/cats/deer? The trespassers are being pests....
Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler at YardLover (http://www.yardlover.com/products.php?pid=135&gclid=CNP90LTFxJUCFRghnAodHhJ fiw - broken link)

Old 09-05-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
now, don't know if it would be against watering regs, but what about the motion sensitive sprinkler, made to deter "pests" ie dogs/cats/deer? The trespassers are being pests....
Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler at YardLover (http://www.yardlover.com/products.php?pid=135&gclid=CNP90LTFxJUCFRghnAodHhJ fiw - broken link)
Those things are great, LOL!! Now there is an idea . . . as long as someone doesn't get mean and damage it b/c they got blasted w/ water. I know they are terrific for animals that wander into the yard.

I am so surprised that this is an ongoing problem. There must not be sidewalks in the neighborhood (none in mine, either). Just sad that people don't stop and think that they are making a trail thru/ someone else's yard. I am so surprised that people would be that inconsiderate on a regular basis.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:18 PM

17 posts, read 27,342 times
I live in Crismark as well and see it all the time. I usually see a bunch oh kids (around 13-16) cutting through yards. I yell at them all the time and they don't seem to care one bit.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:45 PM

70 posts, read 103,018 times
But has the question been answered? How are they cutting through yards? Via a corner, across the middle of the lawn, are they on bikes or what? On a corner, plant bushes, in the middle of the lawn - plant bushes, bikes, - plant bushes...! Me personally, unless I moved into an undeveloped plot and was sowing my grass so to speak, who does it hurt to have someone walk on it? Grass is actually multi-purpose, quite resiliant to feet, and as annoying as that dog poop is, it's free fertilizer.
I'm not getting this complaint.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:26 PM

17 posts, read 27,342 times
i do not live on a corner. they cut right through between mine and the neighbors house cecause they are too lazy apparently, to walk around the block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte