Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: Charlotte, job market, real estate market, cost of living, work from home.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:38 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,447,712 times

Advertisements

Not a bad idea at all to ditch Central Florida...heck, FL all together!

My wife and I left Orlando in June 2007 after I graduated from UCF. It's been the best decision we've made so far. The region is a great place to live.

We spent many months planning out our move. I had a job offer and my wife stayed working from home for her Orlando-based company.

When you do get a chance to visit here, feel free to ask for places to see and things to do while you're here. We're all self-proclaimed experts on the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 09:53 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,864,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellesoul View Post
Hi,

I'm a 21 yr old college student in Orlando, Fl and I am considering moving to Charlotte, NC. I currently reside in Orlando and have been here for the last 8 years. Needless to say, I hate it and I am ready for a new move.

These are why I want to move away from there. I know it's long but please read:

1)The job market in Orlando, Fl is virtually non- existent. I have been looking for a permanent fulltime since December of last year. I went 3 months looking for an admin job before something finally opened- a TEMP. I had a caucasion supervisor, and after learning all of the new material faster and knew it better than most of employess already there, I was notified less than 2 weeks later, on my way to work one morning, that the supervisor decided to let me go by my temp agency. And why? "Your supervisor states that you were failing to grasp the material." Which I knew was untrue, because training was supposed to last 4-6 weeks, but they were so impressed with my speed, I was placed on the floor in less than a week. But Florida, sadly is a right-to-work state. It didn't matter if it was true or not, an employer can decide to let you go for any stupid, trivial reason. It is now August 2008, and all I have managed to get are different temp jobs here and there. The cost of living is so high here and the wages they pay are so low. And most employers won't even look at you if you can't speak spanish!?! Which leads to my second reason why I want to move...

2) High cost of living+ low wage (or non existent job market) = High CRIME
The crime here has skyrocketed. With central Fl being inundated with hispanics (who refuse to learn english) and all the other people moving here thinking it's going to be better than where thay came from, it's just getting too congested. I am an African American female, and sadly I see that with a shrinking economy in Fl it's all the more tighter for minorities trying to get their foot in the door. In Orlando, it's sad to say, but it is very rare to see successful educated black people. There are too many thugs, vagabonds, and hoodlums taken over the streets. And Orlando, is no longer the safe place it used to be.

3) I would like a more positive environment. People here are rude, heartless, and impersonal. And there's a slight but subtle racism. You have to catch it though... Communities are either all black (low income, ghetto, hood) or all white. I don't think of myself as any better than anybody, I love meeting and talking to people from all ethnic socio-economic backgrnds. But in Orlando, things feel all too divided and seperated.

I would like to be in a lively city that's rich in it's culture and it's heritage. Where I can actually see people (and my people) striving for success. And also a city that thrives on diversity. I want to be in a place where I can be proud to call home.

I have heard so many positive things about North Carolina. But do you like it? How is the job market? How would you describe the culture/people? Is NC anything like the reasons why I want leave Orlando? I would really like your feed back thanks.
Charlotte is diverse but most neighborhoods are predominately black or white. That is the choice of the people that move into them. People have the choice to live wherever they choose. There are plenty of gangs, thugs and all things bad here. I generally find the people nice and friendly, however, whether or not you are happy and blend will depend on you. I have an idea that you are a "race card" person and might use it. If I am not wrong, you will find the same problems here as you may have found in Orlando. You make a unfair generalization of Orlando. I am sure that you will find plenty wrong with the Charlotte area as well. You might find Atanta more to your liking? I am confident that that practically all employers in Charlotte are over the race thing and hire people that will produce and make money for them, not on a skin color basis. From what I have seen, they have evolved above that as I am sure they did as well in Orlando.

You equated high cost of living plus low wages to crime. I suppose lack of personal motivation, crummy role models, and lack of parenting have nothing to do with it?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 8,059 times
Default Charlotte has ENERGY

If you go to Uptown on any weekend night, you will witness first hand the energy of the city at clubs, restaurants, and about the town. South of Charlotte has boomed in recent years, so rents and purchase prices are on the high end. More reasonable rents can be found west of the city in Wesley Heights, which boarders Uptown, and has had a number of new developments built in recent years. The new Charlotte School of Law just opened there, and much expansion is planned for that area.

Anywhere outside of the Uptown area will require a commute, which in some places seems like it takes forever to get to your destination. Go to places rated almanic to do more research.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:48 AM

31 posts, read 77,447 times
LOVE charlotte if you are young and single-i lived there for 2 years and my hubby lived there for 7. lots of banking and teaching jobs-seemed everyone i met was an investment banker or a teacher! can't say enough about how great it is-miss it sometimes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: