U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:34 PM

27 posts, read 51,824 times

Advertisements

Just keep in mind that it's no longer "location, location, location". It's now "location, price, condition". If you hit the market from day one with a property that looks like a model home and is priced like you mean business....you're a step above your competition. I totally agree with the analysis information you have been given. Our market is certainly tight and crazy, but it's moving. Honestly, if your agent runs the numbers correctly and markets the heck out of that home...and you present a sparkling clean, correctly staged, "can be seen practically anytime" property...it will sell. I wish you success!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 05:35 PM

54 posts, read 149,600 times
I agree with everything Apryl said except the bit about location, price and condition (which is ok, because as Steven Covey says, "if two people agree on everything, one of them is unecessary)

While what she says is correct technically the MAJOR factor is going to be price. Look at it this way...

If I told you I knew where there was a home valued at a million dollars going for 500k but it was hard to find and needed cleaning, you'd find it, and you'd clean it. If on the other hand I said I have a really clean home, it's easy to find but it's priced 500 thousand too high you wouldn't bother right?

N

PS: She's right though, keep it clean, market it properly, and price it right

Old 08-26-2008, 07:40 PM

27 posts, read 51,824 times
I swear...the first thing I thought of when I read your post was that movie with Tom Hanks, The Money Pit. (By the way, I love that movie!) Nope....I'm telling ya...in this market, all three are of equal importance. I have learned to read buyers fairly well and I can tell you, the homes with the "Wow" factor will definitely move faster. There can be multiple units (even same floor plans) in a building for sale at the same time. Not only can you list and sell a pristine unit quicker but, often times it will bring a better price $$$$$. Even a newer property might need a little sprucing up. A little elbow grease and some inexpensive upfits (ie: new hardware on cabinet fronts, new shiny exterior lock on a freshly painted front door,) can help realize a much better return on your investment. I've seen it. Be savvy. Pull the pictures of the competition, show them to your seller. Its teamwork. Look at what you guys are up against and have a better house. I can't stress enough the importance of staging a home correctly and having awesome pictures for your marketing pieces! By the way....I am just curious....any home stagers out there? You guys rock!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:42 PM

54 posts, read 149,600 times
Yep, I'm a stager...or Property Image Consultants as we like to call ourselves

Old 08-26-2008, 09:14 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,913,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmpickens View Post
but i don't want to close before the end of november (to avoid capital gains tax).

How does closing after november help you avoid capital gains tax? My only concern would be that capital gains tax rates might be higher in 2009, ie closing after december 31, 2008.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:51 AM

195 posts, read 481,934 times
They will have owned for 2 years.
Absorportion rate does tell you about the market condition, but you have to dig deeper to know how to market a specific home. Abosorption rate doesn't tell you anything about the condition of a particular home, the layout, or where a home is located on a street, or in this case in the complex.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:56 AM

53 posts, read 182,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Strong View Post
They will have owned for 2 years.
that's right.

i'm no realtor, but i'd agree with you about the importance of a well staged home. i think very few people have the ability to see past the current furniture and decorations of an owner. so if a house is a cluttered mess, people will see a cluttered mess not what they could potentially do with the space. i'm not looking forward to making sure my place is in tip-top condition at all times for showings (since i live with a certain amount of messiness), but i know how important it is.

here's another question: what do dog owners do with their pet while their house is on the market and they have showings? i'd like to be able to let people see the place any time of day, but that's not realistic since i have a dog and a job. is it not a big deal if i only schedule showings in the evenings?

Old 08-27-2008, 07:19 AM

536 posts, read 1,539,930 times
Quote:
that's right.

i'm no realtor, but i'd agree with you about the importance of a well staged home. i think very few people have the ability to see past the current furniture and decorations of an owner. so if a house is a cluttered mess, people will see a cluttered mess not what they could potentially do with the space. i'm not looking forward to making sure my place is in tip-top condition at all times for showings (since i live with a certain amount of messiness), but i know how important it is.

here's another question: what do dog owners do with their pet while their house is on the market and they have showings? i'd like to be able to let people see the place any time of day, but that's not realistic since i have a dog and a job. is it not a big deal if i only schedule showings in the evenings?
Yes, that is a big deal, IMO. Give a friend a key, that can take the dog for you, or lock it up in a cage.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:35 AM

876 posts, read 1,619,717 times
Quote:
that's right.

We crate ours during the day. If you have an open house or a bunch of showings on the same day you should probably kennel them.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:43 AM

195 posts, read 481,934 times
Most viewings are at night or on the weekends. You can have confirmed showings, that way you can decide when potential buyers view your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or