U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:08 AM

77 posts, read 364,791 times

Advertisements

What is the tax on car values in NC and SC. Does either state have any other weird taxes, like taxes on your belongings (furniture, hot tubs, etc). I understand the property tax differences between the two states.

I have 3 cars worth $10K, $5K, and $3K. What would the yearly tax be in each state.

Lastly, NC has a yearly inspection and SC does not???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 10:28 AM

13 posts, read 34,091 times
Interesting questions! I was going to start research that myself. Hopefully we'll see some replies.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:35 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,632,798 times
Your personal property tax rate depends on your location within North Carolina. Property is a county/local tax, not a state tax. Could be high, low or something in between.

http://www.dornc.com/practitioner/property/

Old 02-01-2007, 03:12 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,340,576 times
You might check the follow site...if you are looking into the York County area in South Carolina for tax information on vechicles, etc.:

http://www.yorkcountygov.com/department.aspx?deptID=6

Also from the scdmvonline.com site:

Property Taxes
In South Carolina, payment of personal property taxes is required before a license plate can be issued or renewed. The taxes are paid directly to the county treasurer of the county where you live in South Carolina. Tax rates vary and are determined by the county auditor in each county.

If you are a first-time registrant, you will need to take your title or current registration to the county auditor's office in order to receive a tax bill. The amount due is paid to the county treasurer who will issue a paid property tax receipt.

If you are renewing your South Carolina registration, you will receive a property tax bill/renewal reminder from the county treasurer's office. You may pay your property taxes directly to the county treasurer's office in the county where you reside. See Registration Renewals below for additional information.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:18 PM

876 posts, read 3,481,699 times
this is kind of a bummer. I purchased both our vehicles (2003 Expedition and 2006 Silverado) when we lived in FL and paid them off already. Now I have to pay taxes on them all over again? Man did I get screwed on this or am I wrong?

*just for those who dont know, when you purchase a vehicle in FL, sales taxes are added onto the price of the vehicle... So for a $30K car, you actually pay $31,800 (6% sales tax).

Old 02-01-2007, 04:30 PM

462 posts, read 1,684,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
this is kind of a bummer. I purchased both our vehicles (2003 Expedition and 2006 Silverado) when we lived in FL and paid them off already. Now I have to pay taxes on them all over again? Man did I get screwed on this or am I wrong?

*just for those who dont know, when you purchase a vehicle in FL, sales taxes are added onto the price of the vehicle... So for a $30K car, you actually pay $31,800 (6% sales tax).
NY is the same way. Trust me I just learned about this last week myself and it was kind of a downer. Keep in mind (at least if I am understanding it correctly) that you will get taxed on your vehicles every year. One of my leases will be up in August and if all goes as planned my wife and I will already be down there, and I planned on putting her in a Tahoe but knowing that taxes on that will prob be close to $700 or more a year I am starting to look into other cheaper options. I don't even have a job down there yet so who knows if I will even be able to afford a Tahoe! Hopefully car insurance will be cheaper in NC than NY and it will all even out.(Fingers crossed)

Old 02-01-2007, 05:39 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,050,430 times
In maine you pay a 5% state sales tax. Then when you reg your vehicle you pay an excise tax "based on sticker" They use the sticker val for the life of the car but lower the mil rate each year. Oh ya, we also have one of the the highest income tax 8.5%. Sales tax on food 7%, and clothing. And we have some of the highest property taxes. The city I live in has a mil rate of $25 per 1000 val. 300k=$7500 tax. So we can't wait to move. Its the property tax that kills me. People around here are afraid to step up into a nicer house because of the Prop taxes.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:58 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,632,798 times
I can see how some of you are confused about motor vehicle taxes in North Carolina. I'll try to clarify.

1. There is no sales tax on motor vehicles in NC. NC collects a 3% Highway Use Tax (HUT) on vehicles in lieu of the sales tax. However, newcomers to the state will only pay a maximum of $150 to acquire a NC vehicle title on their current vehicles bought out-of-state. Some will pay less and some will pay none. This is a 1-time tax.

2. Personal Property Tax - This is a yearly local tax paid to the county in which you live. The most common items subject to the tax are motor vehicles (tagged & untagged), homes, land and watercraft. Your tax rate for these items will depend on where within NC you live. NC has 100 counties with many different property tax rates. If you live within the governmental boundaries of a city or town, there will be an additional property tax rate added to the county tax rate. There may also be a special tax rate for some residents for a special purpose such as fire protection in rural areas.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
And we have some of the highest property taxes. The city I live in has a mil rate of $25 per 1000 val. 300k=$7500 tax. So we can't wait to move. Its the property tax that kills me. People around here are afraid to step up into a nicer house because of the Prop taxes.
Ha! I feel you! Try living in Broward County, FL. My house I just sold for $425K, poor guy who bought it is paying $10,625/yr in taxes and another $6,000/yr for insurance.

The house I just bought in Sherrills Ford, $442,000... property taxes were $2286 and insurance was $617... GOD BLESS!!

Old 02-02-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I can see how some of you are confused about motor vehicle taxes in North Carolina. I'll try to clarify.

1. There is no sales tax on motor vehicles in NC. NC collects a 3% Highway Use Tax (HUT) on vehicles in lieu of the sales tax. However, newcomers to the state will only pay a maximum of $150 to acquire a NC vehicle title on their current vehicles bought out-of-state. Some will pay less and some will pay none. This is a 1-time tax.

THANK YOU GREATLY FOR CLARIFYING THIS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or