U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:44 PM

34,519 posts, read 40,050,649 times
Update: DH said the tires on the SUV have less than 10,000 miles on them and he had them checked weekend b/f last when he had oil changed, so it does not appear to be a tread problem. We are gonna check the pressure this week (once the rain stops, LOL).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 05:04 PM

5,972 posts, read 11,631,498 times
Ani, there's always a risk of hydroplaning in rains such as these. Going down 521 toward SC, I am undecided whether I would drive on the slow lane (where most of the puddles are) and risk hydroplaning, or drive on the fast lane and hog the lane (which I hate other drivers for!). I opted to stay on the right lane, slow down to about 45 mph on a 55 mph zone, and just watch out for puddles. The sound of the tire on it, plus the slight fishtail is unnerving. Kinda reminds me of hitting ice back north and slipping till I hit a snowbank, and that's with a toddler and infant in car seats in the back! Just go slow, watch out for the puddles and keep both hands on the wheel. This is not a good time for being on the cell!

Old 08-26-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Ani, there's always a risk of hydroplaning in rains such as these. Going down 521 toward SC, I am undecided whether I would drive on the slow lane (where most of the puddles are) and risk hydroplaning, or drive on the fast lane and hog the lane (which I hate other drivers for!). I opted to stay on the right lane, slow down to about 45 mph on a 55 mph zone, and just watch out for puddles. The sound of the tire on it, plus the slight fishtail is unnerving. Kinda reminds me of hitting ice back north and slipping till I hit a snowbank, and that's with a toddler and infant in car seats in the back! Just go slow, watch out for the puddles and keep both hands on the wheel. This is not a good time for being on the cell!
Good advice, Bibit! As for cells . . . I am not dextrous enuff to handle driving and cell phones!!! I have to use an ear bud or blue tooth if I must talk on the phone! It makes me uptight to drive and use a phone . . . and I understand - some people TEXT while driving! AARRRGGHH!! How crazy is that!!!??????!!!

I will watch for the puddles. You are so right about that strange feeling when the car "slips" and then fishtails or "floats/drifts" and your steering wheel seems disconnected!!! I hate it!!!! I was so surprised that it happened on 485 - cause I have never experienced it on that highway b/f.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:42 PM

5,972 posts, read 11,631,498 times
Ani, there are quite a couple of places on 485 I've seen this. Back in March when I did the daily travels to Matthews, I got caught in bucket downpours such that people pulled over under the bridges. Some of the places I experienced puddling was Inner Loop approaching Providence and again approaching Johnston Road. Be careful! Another annoyance as already mentioned in the Rain thread, is that people still don't turn on their lights. I'm surprised that some of the late model cars don't have the running lights on automatically. My Civic does but I could count many today that had no lights on, and this morning while on 160 in Lancaster County toward 521, it was hard to see if someone was there ready to turn across you when turning into their street!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Ani, there are quite a couple of places on 485 I've seen this. Back in March when I did the daily travels to Matthews, I got caught in bucket downpours such that people pulled over under the bridges. Some of the places I experienced puddling was Inner Loop approaching Providence and again approaching Johnston Road. Be careful! Another annoyance as already mentioned in the Rain thread, is that people still don't turn on their lights. I'm surprised that some of the late model cars don't have the running lights on automatically. My Civic does but I could count many today that had no lights on, and this morning while on 160 in Lancaster County toward 521, it was hard to see if someone was there ready to turn across you when turning into their street!
Yes - no headlights!!!! It is NC law that if one has to turn on windshield wipers, one must turn on headlights. This is only sensible and I can't figure out why people don't automatically do it. ???? I mean - I want to be seen!!!! I turn on my emergency flashers if it gets really bad - w/ fog and rain and traffic. I want you to know I am there. I would say that nearly half the cars on 485 did not have lights on. It was not like that coming down 321 from Boone. Everyone had their lights on. Wonder why people are so lax about it here in CLT?????

Old 08-26-2008, 08:15 PM

21,687 posts, read 37,059,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes - no headlights!!!! It is NC law that if one has to turn on windshield wipers, one must turn on headlights. This is only sensible and I can't figure out why people don't automatically do it. ???? I mean - I want to be seen!!!! I turn on my emergency flashers if it gets really bad - w/ fog and rain and traffic. I want you to know I am there. I would say that nearly half the cars on 485 did not have lights on. It was not like that coming down 321 from Boone. Everyone had their lights on. Wonder why people are so lax about it here in CLT?????
I was anal about it one day and every car I saw that did not have lights on I would turn mine off and on real quick.

I know it must be a challenge to pick up new habits for newcomers but hopefully it will become routine

Old 08-26-2008, 08:22 PM

929 posts, read 2,585,017 times
I'm glad y ou are not hurt. I never experienced that when I've drive, but the water does build up on the interstates due to their poor drainage system To me driving in the rain is just as bad as snow due to the roads and the severity of the storms.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:40 PM

54 posts, read 109,935 times
Just a couple of quick tips from a former bodyguard...

1. Never, ever use your cruise control when it's raining. That will put you in a loss of control situation very quickly. (Did I say NEVER use cruise control when it's raining?)

2. As you're about to hit the puddles you're talking about make small movements of the steering wheel back and forth (about an inch or two each way). Those small movements of the tires will break the surface tension of the water so hydroplaning shouldn't be a problem. (Not enough movement to actually steer the car left and right obviously)

N

Old 08-26-2008, 09:27 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,156,196 times
Perhaps 55 is too fast for heavy rain?

Old 08-27-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Perhaps 55 is too fast for heavy rain?
I have come to a near stop in heavy rain b/f while driving in the midwest but the weird thing here is . . . people continue to drive at 45-55 and they often do not have lights on!!! And you end up getting rear ended if you slow down, even in the right hand lane. I have never experienced anything like it til I moved back here. Up until I left (early 90s) people would come to a crawl on any road in western NC if it were raining heavily. At least, that was my experience on I-40, 321, 70, 77, 85. But when I moved back here, I thought I had entered the 7th Circle of Hell when driving in bad weather, cause people just kept barreling on and I would see people skidding into each other, getting hit from rear, hydroplaning, etc. It is nuts. I wish I knew what happened w/ the mentality of drivers around CLT. Cause I swear to you, it was not like this when I used to live here. People put on lights, often used flashers, moved to the right hand lane and moved slowly. Now, they all keep speeding by in low visibility. There was nearly a multiple car pile up yesterday b/c some idiot did not have on lights and another idiot came rushing up beside me (left hand lane) and then had to slam on brakes. I was in right hand lane w/ several other cars that had slowed down. The car skidded when it had to slow down to keep from hitting the car in front (w/o lights) Thank god the skid was to the LEFT and not to the RIGHT where the rest of us were.

I don't know how to explain what I see going on w/ drivers around CLT. It is scary at times - especially w/ low visibility and torrential rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte