U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:21 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,798,794 times

Advertisements

I have yet to see a lunch form. My daughter did not bring one home last year nor this year. She pays for lunch daily. Her school may be fibbing the numbers to get government dollars. I don't worry to much because either way she has to pay. Really I don't know why lunches are not free for all children. Having left NYC, lunch was free to all by the time my child got to the 8th and 9th grade, but you still had to fill out the lunch forms for school tax credits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 09:32 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
I have yet to see a lunch form. My daughter did not bring one home last year nor this year. She pays for lunch daily. Her school may be fibbing the numbers to get government dollars. I don't worry to much because either way she has to pay. Really I don't know why lunches are not free for all children. Having left NYC, lunch was free to all by the time my child got to the 8th and 9th grade, but you still had to fill out the lunch forms for school tax credits.
I wonder why they are not free for all, also. The FDA subsidizes w/ surplus food and it is a very good program. I understand it is one of the more successful government programs as far as no waste w/ the monies alloted. I also think that some people that qualify are embarrassed to fill out the forms, so the kids end up not receiving the meals. That is why I think they should just do it for everyone. The working poor in this country don't qualify for help they could really use b/c of being borderline w/ the requirements and their children should be getting the meals. So often, I think the very people these types of programs were designed to help end up not getting the assistance.

THe original post is about accountability . . . and that is where I get upset. If the program is being mis-used, then that is wrong and should be investigated.

I hope your daughter's school is not dummying up records just to get $$$. I wonder if we will hear about any investigation. ???

Last edited by brokensky; 08-27-2008 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 08-27-2008, 09:46 PM

2,829 posts, read 4,135,372 times
I don't think all kids should be provided a free lunch. Nothing is free - someone is paying for it (taxes). I think you should have to prove there is a need for your child to get a free lunch.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:54 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I don't think all kids should be provided a free lunch. Nothing is free - someone is paying for it (taxes). I think you should have to prove there is a need for your child to get a free lunch.
True - nothing is really "free" - someone is paying for it (you and me, LOL!) I may be wrong, but I think that if they allow anyone to have the free lunches, there still would be a lot of people who would prefer to bring their own or pay for a la carte, etc.

That is what I was thinking but maybe I am on the wrong track w/ that . . .

Old 08-28-2008, 04:16 AM

852 posts, read 2,214,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Get the milk, give it to another kid (my kids would gladly take an additional milk!) and carry water himself. I dont' really understand that this needs to be a bigger deal than it is.

Dawn
Yes that seems the best thing to do except when you are 7 and you come home and say "hey mom I tried really hard to give away the milk and nobody wanted it and then the teacher told me that I can't share my lunch and I got into trouble". He does carry water btw and I am was not trying to make a big deal out of it, I was telling a story about what happened at my sons school.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:15 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,150,499 times
Are you sure they don't have juice as an option? Our local elem. school has milk or a 4oz thing of juice. And throwing it away is still cheaper than you paying ala cart. I am just saying, you can find ways around it, no problem has only one solution.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
Yes that seems the best thing to do except when you are 7 and you come home and say "hey mom I tried really hard to give away the milk and nobody wanted it and then the teacher told me that I can't share my lunch and I got into trouble". He does carry water btw and I am was not trying to make a big deal out of it, I was telling a story about what happened at my sons school.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:05 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
My son is lactose intolerent but to get the $2 lunch in cms you have to include milk. So each time he ordered his lunch he would get water which meant that his lunch now became an a la carte lunch which cost over $3.50. I contacted CMS to ask why he couldn't swap the milk for the water and they insisted he apply for free lunches as he would be allowed because of his intolerence. I declined their offer so they said he should have the $2 lunch, throw away the milk and order water and that would be $2.75. Great solution isn't it.
The water is bottled water. It costs more than milk. Your kid is one of thousands. Why don't you send a bottle of water with him in his backpack and throw out the milk? Or, check on switching milk to juice. I have had children do that in my school. I am sure you could settle this at the school level if handled politely.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:06 AM

852 posts, read 2,214,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
The water is bottled water. It costs more than milk. Your kid is one of thousands. Why don't you send a bottle of water with him in his backpack and throw out the milk? Or, check on switching milk to juice. I have had children do that in my school. I am sure you could settle this at the school level if handled politely.
Guys, there is no substitution for the milk. You have to have it if you want your lunch for the student rate of $2. If you get juice or bottled water it becomes an a la carte lunch. My son gets the milk and throws it out (which i think is wasteful). He brings a bottle of water. He more often forgets his water in his classroom if he is buying lunch so he has to buy the water there. I was not complaining because I have to supply the water, I wasn't even complaining, I was just pointing out the facts in CMS - they want him to have a subsidised lunch because he can't have the milk - there is no option to swap anything.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:42 AM

743 posts, read 2,024,579 times
I believe the free/reduced lunch program is great for those who really need it. When dh lost his job last Oct and I was the sole provider, it did come in handy. Our income went down 3/4 what it normally was and there was not way I could even pay the little $20 week for their lunches. But yesterday I checked online at their balances and saw they are still giving them the reduced rates. I thought you had to fill out new paperwork every school year. Anyway, I can't lie so called the school and told them they no longer needed reduced rates and the lady on the other line sounded upset. Now reading these posts I see why, I just took away some government money. That is giving some people the indication it is okay to play the system and the school does not mind.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:29 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
As a teacher I would always ask the mother, "Did you check her back pack?" The first day of every schoold year, students are given a pack of forms to take home. Why would lunches in NYC be free for those "able" to pay? Sounds like a big waste of tax dollars to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or