Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:38 AM
vbg

35 posts, read 109,798 times

Advertisements

"...Mecklenburg County offered to pay flood insurance premiums for residents of the Cavalier Apartments because the County owns the property..."

We have signed insurance papers twice(!) in June. We lived in 2nd floor, so our damage was 1) food in refrigerator ($300) and 2) insulin for my Mom (it is temperature-sensitive) ($200). I don't know will we receive anything from this flood insurance or not. Our rent in Cavalier was $440 + free water + washer/dryer. Now we moved to Village at Brierfiled. Rent is $657 + no free water + no washer/dryer. We have received check $1100 for security deposit, pro-rated August rent and an advance to cover moving expenses. Now we are waiting any news from Terrell Hundley & Carroll, Inc. (THC) about relocation benefits. Some people said that the cost for comparable housing is $630. So we expect to receive ($630-$440)x42 months=$7980. May be even more, because they said in papers "for a period not to exceed 42 months, up to a maximum of $5250 per resident". We have 3 residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 02:46 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,143,891 times
My girlfriend meets with her THC rep today to find out about their relocation benefits offer for her. We're hoping for the $5250, but not really holding our breath.

The whole insurance mess doesn't really apply to her, though, because there was hardly any property loss at all -- got reeeaaaallly lucky there. She's one of those who's supposed to have had insurance, but apparently doesn't actually have it. Thanks, Mecklenburg.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:16 PM
vbg

I have asked Dave Canaan about flood insurance. We lived in 2nd floor, so our damage was food in refrigerator ($300) and 2-month supply of insulin for my Mother (temperature-sensitive medication) ($300). The total loss is about $600. But he answered "The flood insurance policies had a $1,000 deductible so the losses you listed do not exceed the deductible. Therefore, even if we get the insurance thing straightened out, I do not think you would be in receipt of any funds. I think if you had apartment insurance, that may be another option to pursue."

Old 09-15-2008, 07:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbg View Post
I have asked Dave Canaan about flood insurance. We lived in 2nd floor, so our damage was food in refrigerator ($300) and 2-month supply of insulin for my Mother (temperature-sensitive medication) ($300). The total loss is about $600. But he answered "The flood insurance policies had a $1,000 deductible so the losses you listed do not exceed the deductible. Therefore, even if we get the insurance thing straightened out, I do not think you would be in receipt of any funds. I think if you had apartment insurance, that may be another option to pursue."
You are on a second floor unit . . . why did you buy flood insurance? Or were you required to in order to live there? What about your car and any personal belongings in vehicles that may have been flooded?

Old 09-16-2008, 10:28 PM
vbg

Yes, we lived on a second floor. This flood insurance was requirement from Mecklenburg County since they have purchased the Cavalier Apartments. We saved our car, I parked it as far as possible from the creek. But this flood insurance cover only stuff inside apartments, not vehicle.

Also, we got news about rental assistance:
the comparable replacement housing are Bradford Commons, The Timbers, and The Chimney's. The selected rent is $550. Our rent was $440. They cover 42 months, so ($550-$440)x42=$4620. However, I think that THC is cheating. All three apartments what they selected are very bad. They don't consider safety, location, apartemtnt's age or renovation. The average rent in Charlotte for nice apartment is $650, not $550. 42x$100=$4200!

Also all three apartments do not have Washer&Dryer (we had them in Cavalier). W/D rent is $45 per month, so 42x$45=$1890!

$4200 + $1890=$6090. Good amount, right? In my opinion, they should give $10000 (not $4620) to each family.

Interesting, that date in all papers is August 28, but we got them only in September 16.

Somebody in THC or in Storm Water Services should loose their jobs and soft chairs in big buildings!

Old 09-17-2008, 02:30 AM

*shrugs*
My fiance received a similar settlement to yours - $4870. We're actually pretty pleased with it. As far as the comparable properties - I'm not familiar with them, but the key word there is "comparable". They don't have to be exactly the same as Cavalier. Besides, imo Cavalier wasn't exactly the safest/nicest apartment complex in the world.

I dunno, I guess we just see things differently. I mean, we rented an apartment in a flood zone knowing that eventually we'd have to move. That they're giving us any relocation assistance at all seems to me to be a bonus - not an entitlement. With the $900 moving money, the total comes to well over $5000. Seems fair to me. Generous even.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:01 PM
vbg

Timm, of course, you are right.

But you should agree relocation company THC did not make our relocation smooth and easy as they promised in meetings last Spring.

One interesting point - we were forced to relocate BEFORE THC found comparable replacement housing! It means that we are qualified for "housing of last resort". I spoke with lawyer today, and he said it sounds like a bad situation, indeed.

"The URA requires that comparable decent, safe, and sanitary replacement (DSS) housing within a person's financial means be made available BEFORE that person may be displaced. When such housing cannot be provided by using replacement housing payments, the URA provides for "housing of last resort." Housing of last resort may involve the use of replacement housing payments that exceed the URA maximum amounts. Housing of last resort may also involve the use of other methods of providing comparable decent, safe, and sanitary housing within a person's financial means"

Old 09-18-2008, 03:49 AM

I agree with you there - they could have handled things better. I kind of expected that the flood would change how things were handled, and expected them to just go ahead and give everyone the maximum. Clearly I'm naive.

Overall though, we're not displeased. Heck, we even got a little money and help from the Red Cross. But yes, THC could've done things differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: