U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:10 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,948,330 times

Advertisements

There is a briefing going on right now re: the flooding situation here.

How bad is it??? It sounds really bad in areas. Are there a lot of homes and apartments that have flooded? I know that Sugar Creek has been overflowing since I was a kid . . . but it sounds like this is really much worse.

CMPD says 48 accidents this morning and in that same period, the average would usually be 15. So evidently people are skidding, hydroplaning . . .

Fire Dept has responded to 35 calls that involved rescues so far. I am so surprised. They are saying it is not a unique event, but this is receiving more coverage so I wonder . . . are the same places flooding or do we have bigger problems this year b/c of construction - or what.

Anyone have some really good info or insight into why we are continuing to have such big problems w/ run-off and creeks????

Last edited by brokensky; 08-27-2008 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 12:31 PM

Oops. I just realized there is a sticky about the flooding. Sorry guys.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:33 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,093,326 times
The Doral Cavalier apts that always flood were on the TV this morning. However, in my travels today, I inadvertently drove right by there and although they had a ton of fire trucks, buses & the like there, it seemed pretty dry...unless the water had already receded...or, the water was further back on the property.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:33 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,864,810 times
High Water Alerts! (Areas that flood)

Hey, I've been wondering where you've been today. I've posted updates as I've seen them coming across TV, but haven't had anyone else give input. WCNC is doing a good job (Larry Sprinkle was on all morning). They have a slideshow of the flooded areas on their website.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
High Water Alerts! (Areas that flood)

Hey, I've been wondering where you've been today. I've posted updates as I've seen them coming across TV, but haven't had anyone else give input. WCNC is doing a good job (Larry Sprinkle was on all morning). They have a slideshow of the flooded areas on their website.
Hey, MN! Once I discovered your thread (yeah, I am slow sometimes) I looked at the pix from WCNC . . . that was a great idea for you to post the info - it seems to have been a real mess this morning.

I am just surprised that w/ the history of flooding in so many of these areas - that our engineers have not figured out better ways to route water, contain water, manage water run-off, etc. I know we got a tremendous deluge w/ Fay, but geeeee - this has been going on for years. We really should know how to re-route the water by now. Shouldn't we????

Last edited by brokensky; 08-27-2008 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-27-2008, 12:44 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,864,810 times
Ani - I thought, at one time, there was talk of the City buying out the Doral apartments and tearing them down, since they were built in a known flood plain. The newscasters commented this morning that tenants there were REQUIRED to buy flood insurance and notified that they were in a flood plain. I guess, sometimes, people just don't believe it will ever happen to them?

Old 08-27-2008, 12:45 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,627,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We really should know how to re-route the water by now. Shouldn't we????
This is a perfect example of why collection of "runoff" water should be a bigger priority. (ie build reseviors).

Think about all the water that was running down your street which could've been used for irrigation purposes, or drinking water etc........again, we (USA) waste so much water when it could be put to good use. That's why IMO we should never be in a "drought" so to speak if we did things the right way...

ok, now I'll get off my soapbox..

Old 08-27-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
This is a perfect example of why collection of "runoff" water should be a bigger priority. (ie build reseviors).

Think about all the water that was running down your street which could've been used for irrigation purposes, or drinking water etc........again, we (USA) waste so much water when it could be put to good use. That's why IMO we should never be in a "drought" so to speak if we did things the right way...

ok, now I'll get off my soapbox..
Jack, you were sounding awfully good on that Soap Box, if you ask me. I liked your message!!!! And I think about these things, too! We should be managing water better.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:56 PM

569 posts, read 1,220,057 times
Quote:
Ani - I thought, at one time, there was talk of the City buying out the Doral apartments and tearing them down, since they were built in a known flood plain. The newscasters commented this morning that tenants there were REQUIRED to buy flood insurance and notified that they were in a flood plain. I guess, sometimes, people just don't believe it will ever happen to them?

I live very near these apartments in Chantilly neighborhood. The Doral side has already been sold to the city. I know they were already tearing out the pool and moving out some of the tenants in the past few weeks. The city is supposed to turn this area into a greenway within the next year. This morning when I awoke I looked out my window to see a car underwater not more than a few hundred feet from my house....SCARY! This area has always been known for flooding. I feel sorry for some of the tenants living there.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Funny you mention that cause DH and I were talking about this earlier. We thought we heard in - maybe - 2003 that they were gonna tear those apartments down. Maybe the owner decided that this was not fair (loss of revenue) so the city agreed that if the renters bought flood insurance then they would not tear them down. ???? No way would I rent there!!!!

I don't understand how those apartments were ever approved for building permits there.

I have a creek at the back of my property and it was really running full earlier today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or